Nontrad looking for scheduling advice (from adcom if possible).

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dataplz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I searched for something similar in the forums but couldn't find anything this specific. I hate to ask this question because I'm an adult that is more than capable of making my own effective game plan. However, this is (I feel) a necessary question about how things are perceived by admissions committee members. So this is a question specifically for those that are in the know. Perfect world scenario would an adcom could answer:).

I'm a nontraditional student (career changer) that is not in a formal postbac program. I am just taking the classes that I need to prepare for the MCAT and also for my own interests. I will be done with my prerequisites at the close of a fall semester. I plan on taking the MCAT early that spring if possible. I would like to have a good amount of time to study. The question is, how much time is allowed by the powers that be.

If I took some classes in the spring that interested me and would be of value (even though my prerequisites for mcat were done) I have heard that I must take at least 12 cred hours or it would look bad. Does this rule still apply seeing as how I've already obtained my bachelor's degree? It would be nice to have more time for MCAT study than that. Alternatively I could work part time as an EMT (i have the cert). Would this also be looked at unfavorably as its not full time? After my application & MCAT were done I would definitely work full time, btw.

TLDR: Specific to my situation (non-trad done with prereqs): Is it okay for me to either work or go to school (not both) part-time to allow myself time to study for the MCAT, or will this be looked upon poorly by adcoms?

Thanks for your time!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Not an adcom but I can guarantee you that is totally fine. At this point it's nitpicking hypothetical adcom thoughts but I assure you none of that matters if you mess up on your MCAT. The benefits of taking it easy and doing well greatly outweigh taking on too much and getting a subpar score. You seem like you'll be doing a little something at least and that's totally fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Not an adcom but I can guarantee you that is totally fine. At this point it's nitpicking hypothetical adcom thoughts but I assure you none of that matters if you mess up on your MCAT. The benefits of taking it easy and doing well greatly outweigh taking on too much and getting a subpar score. You seem like you'll be doing a little something at least and that's totally fine.
Thanks for the input. I totally agree with you that this line of thinking is pretty ridiculous, but hey, I think I just read too many posts where it seemed like you're not allowed to reduce school/work hrs to study for the mcat because no one looking at your records knows this is why you were reducing school/work hours (bc it's not written down like your credit hours or work hours are). Also, you are now a lazy bum that can't hack a heavy coarse load/ work load and mcat studying :laugh:

Can anyone else chime in too?

If I took some classes in the spring that interested me and would be of value (even though my prerequisites for mcat were done) I have heard that I must take at least 12 cred hours or it would look bad. Does this rule still apply seeing as how I've already obtained my bachelor's degree? It would be nice to have more time for MCAT study than that. Alternatively I could work part time as an EMT (i have the cert). Would this also be looked at unfavorably as its not full time? After my application & MCAT were done I would definitely work full time, btw.

TLDR: Specific to my situation (non-trad done with prereqs): Is it okay for me to either work or go to school (not both) part-time to allow myself time to study for the MCAT, or will this be looked upon poorly by adcoms?

Thanks for your time!!!
We understand that non-trads have lives, and that working is often a necessity. Do the best you can. Remember, marathon, not sprint now.