This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BabyDaddy

Reaction score
I had a ton of questions when I was trying to get into Medical School and during my first year, but few people could answer them for my specific situation. If you have questions about applying as a Non-traditional student, veteran, married person +/- kiddos, or just generic questions about life in med school or the interview trail, let me know :) Also, I just conquered STEP 1! So let me know if you have questions about that too! Holla.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats!

I'm currently in TX but I haven't seen a need to change my residency from FL until somewhat recently. If I switch over to TX, I know that I'd have a better shot at the schools here but I've seen that this may work against me for every school outside the state. Do you happen to have any idea if that's the case?

I'll be stationed in Japan early next year so I have a little bit of time to make the switch, but I'm wary of opening a door to TX schools while closing the door to others.

Hey I have a few questions. I figured your post was for me lol. I’m definitely trying to get into med school and started a little late. I have 3 children and my wife has 2. I am 27 and I’m about to finish out my associates in biology. After this I’m transferring to our state college that has a pre med program. They set you up with shadowing and help you study for the MCAT and all that good stuff. If you can maintain a 3.5 and score really good on the MCAT then they have a guaranteed acceptance at VCOM Auburn which I would like to attend since I live 40 mins from there. But worried about having to do any moving around also. Worried I won’t make it in also. Lol how was the rd getting into med school? How is it there? What’s the MCAT like and what did you major in? I just have so many questions, sorry :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!

I'm currently in TX but I haven't seen a need to change my residency from FL until somewhat recently. If I switch over to TX, I know that I'd have a better shot at the schools here but I've seen that this may work against me for every school outside the state. Do you happen to have any idea if that's the case?

I'll be stationed in Japan early next year so I have a little bit of time to make the switch, but I'm wary of opening a door to TX schools while closing the door to others.
Hey tibwolf! Enjoy Japan, it's an awesome place to be!
Yeah I think there is a huge advantage to being a Tx resident, and I DON'T think you are penalized out of state for it. Right now there are 12 medical schools in Texas, with at least 2 more being built right now! It's also a great mix of schools. Baylor and UTSW are your top-tier schools (and Baylor has close to the highest STEP 1 performance in the U.S. if not the highest)! Then there are a bunch of 2nd tier schools that are great places for research and clinical experience. And if you are riding the bubble, there are a couple less competitive MD schools in Tx and two DO schools! None of the schools here are ones that I couldn't see myself at. I interviewed at the DO school in Fort Worth and loved it! I just got better offers :)
And I know I'm biased, but I think Texas is the best place for veterans. You seem to have a huge advantage with even moderately competitive scores applying as a Vet in Tx!
Good luck!

Hey I have a few questions. I figured your post was for me lol. I’m definitely trying to get into med school and started a little late. I have 3 children and my wife has 2. I am 27 and I’m about to finish out my associates in biology. After this I’m transferring to our state college that has a pre med program. They set you up with shadowing and help you study for the MCAT and all that good stuff. If you can maintain a 3.5 and score really good on the MCAT then they have a guaranteed acceptance at VCOM Auburn which I would like to attend since I live 40 mins from there. But worried about having to do any moving around also. Worried I won’t make it in also. Lol how was the rd getting into med school? How is it there? What’s the MCAT like and what did you major in? I just have so many questions, sorry :)

It sounds like your goals are good ones. It is smart to try to get into a school close to home/ near family if you have kids. You will definitely need help!

The road getting into medical school was long but totally worth it. I didn't know I wanted to apply to med school until halfway through my undergrad, so I had to take more time to get a competitive MCAT and complete all my prereqs, but I was able to get a research job in between and got a competitive application together with the help of my PI and some MD fellows in the lab.
Getting actual doctors (not PhDs) to help with my application, personal statement, etc. was the biggest game changer. They have done it so they know exactly what you need to do to get in!

Thanks for the kind words!

I have some time to doll up my resume so I can be seen as a well-rounded candidate. Were you in the service while you were applying at all? I've read up here that some schools are receptive to changing interview dates or offering video interviews. Either would be much appreciated when you're on the other side of the world!

It sounds like your goals are good ones. It is smart to try to get into a school close to home/ near family if you have kids. You will definitely need help!

The road getting into medical school was long but totally worth it. I didn't know I wanted to apply to med school until halfway through my undergrad, so I had to take more time to get a competitive MCAT and complete all my prereqs, but I was able to get a research job in between and got a competitive application together with the help of my PI and some MD fellows in the lab.
Getting actual doctors (not PhDs) to help with my application, personal statement, etc. was the biggest game changer. They have done it so they know exactly what you need to do to get in!

Definitely have put a lot of thought into this, that’s for sure. I will be linked to M.D.’s for shadowing so hopefully I can get the help from them. The thing is, I live on the GA/AL line so I’m a hr and a half from the M.D. school in GA and they’re clinical rotations send you to the local hospitals here a few mins down the rd, but the school in Alabama is about 35-40 mins up the rd (which I’m closer to obviously) but they’re clinical rotations are any where from a hr to a few hrs away in north alabama. Birmingham, Montgomery, etc. See the situation I’m in? Lol and the school right up the rd is O.D. which I would rather go for M.D./ Also, I just found out that the school 1 1/2 hrs away I only have to do 2 years there and the the last 2 I can just come back and do it about 10mins from the house. But the 1st 2 years are a hr and a half away.

Thanks for the kind words!

I have some time to doll up my resume so I can be seen as a well-rounded candidate. Were you in the service while you were applying at all? I've read up here that some schools are receptive to changing interview dates or offering video interviews. Either would be much appreciated when you're on the other side of the world!
No, I had already gotten out by the time I was applying. I have a friend who is also applying while AD, but I don't know if he was able to move any of his interviews. I don't think he was.

EDIT: When I interviewed at Texas A&M they really emphasized how military friendly they are, and even shared a video about a guy who interviewed from Iraq and got in there. So I guess it is at least possible.

My worry is that I'll be half way through a deployment with no ability to take a week off for flights. I guess we shall see!

Did any schools bring up your time with family and kids at all? I'm unsure if saying something like "I want to spend more time with my family" would elicit a chuckle

My worry is that I'll be half way through a deployment with no ability to take a week off for flights. I guess we shall see!

Did any schools bring up your time with family and kids at all? I'm unsure if saying something like "I want to spend more time with my family" would elicit a chuckle
No matter what school you go to, you will obviously get more time with them than you did while overseas.
The best way to ask the "time with family" question is to ask if students are required to attend lectures. Most schools don't require this now, and most lectures are recorded and can be watched from home. This is a huge plus when doing med school with family. I would shy away from a school that requires students to attend lectures, generally. Every school will have some specific activities with required attendance, but few still require attendance at lectures.
The next most important questions is whether the curriculum (1st 2 years) and rotations (3rd, 4th year) are centralized at the med school or whether you have to move to a new site. Tx A&M, for example, splits the training up and there is a move halfway through your degree. This can be hard for families sometimes.
In general, the choice about where to go to spend more time with family is much more important when deciding which residency to choose, or especially what to specialize in.
Hope I answered your question.

Also, I think schools are more likely to let you do a video interview if you are overseas than if you are CONUS and can't take leave for an interview for some reason.

Reactions: 1 user
All good points.

Knowing what you do now, would you do anything differently?

All good points.

Knowing what you do now, would you do anything differently?
Nothing. No regrets.

Edit: Just to elaborate, Med School while being married with kids has been the hardest thing I've ever done, but it's been extremely rewarding. Though it is incredibly difficult at times, I know I wouldn't be happy doing anything else. Coming home to the kiddos is such a joy and makes it worth all the work I put in and all the stress I endure. I know my work is helping to build a future for my kiddos. It's awesome.

Last edited:
That's what I like to see! I hope to join the ranks in the next few years and pay it forward

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a ton of questions when I was trying to get into Medical School and during my first year, but few people could answer them for my specific situation. If you have questions about applying as a Non-traditional student, veteran, married person +/- kiddos, or just generic questions about life in med school or the interview trail, let me know :) Also, I just conquered STEP 1! So let me know if you have questions about that too! Holla.

Have you had people try to discourage you because you have a family? I want to pursue GS and many try to tell how bad it will impact my family. You don’t want to pursue surgery because it’s hard.

Many have no clue to my life. I have raised a child since 14, lived on my own, worked 2 even 3 pt jobs while pursuing college full time and my gpa was sub par due to that(2.89). Was a Math major but switched to Accounting so I could start a real job. Ended up at a Big4 and hated every day. Now, I’m married with 2 more children. I feel if I can raise a kid as a teen mom, becoming a GS ain’t harder than that(imho).

Glad there’s a board for people like us. The single trads just don’t get it. Lol

Have you had people try to discourage you because you have a family? I want to pursue GS and many try to tell how bad it will impact my family. You don’t want to pursue surgery because it’s hard.

Many have no clue to my life. I have raised a child since 14, lived on my own, worked 2 even 3 pt jobs while pursuing college full time and my gpa was sub par due to that(2.89). Was a Math major but switched to Accounting so I could start a real job. Ended up at a Big4 and hated every day. Now, I’m married with 2 more children. I feel if I can raise a kid as a teen mom, becoming a GS ain’t harder than that(imho).

Glad there’s a board for people like us. The single trads just don’t get it. Lol
Great question. I've had multiple GenSurg attendings tell me that it can be done with family. That being said, Medical School will be like nothing you've ever done before, and Surgery residency will be even harder. Trust me. I've been through a lot of tough times and this is still the hardest thing I've ever done. But it's doable! Good Luck.

Great question. I've had multiple GenSurg attendings tell me that it can be done with family. That being said, Medical School will be like nothing you've ever done before, and Surgery residency will be even harder. Trust me. I've been through a lot of tough times and this is still the hardest thing I've ever done. But it's doable! Good Luck.

I just talked with a friend today and he told me almost everything you just said here. He just completed his surgical rotation and definitely doesn’t want to do it. So no to orthopedics but possible yes to pediatrics. :)

Thank you!

Hi. I am currently active duty and will apply once my commitment is up with the military, in about 4 years. I completed the pre-med requirements in undergrad. Do you have any recommendations for things I should be doing now on active duty to enhance my application package?

Hi. I am currently active duty and will apply once my commitment is up with the military, in about 4 years. I completed the pre-med requirements in undergrad. Do you have any recommendations for things I should be doing now on active duty to enhance my application package?
So you already finished undergrad? You must me an officer :)
Yeah, I would say go to the base hospital and get some following time with any Doc that will have you. Try to get a letter of Rec from him/her is possible. I don't know if you live near a big enough installation but it might be possible to get involved in research if you live near say Balboa Naval Med center or something of similar size where they have research going on. That's probably kind of a long shot though.
Beyond that, study for the MCAT starting as soon as possible and do as many practice questions as you possibly can.

Let me know if that helps or if you have any more questions Sir/Ma'am :)
-BabyDaddy

Hey guys. Mad questions. I'm a veteran and just got out early this year. While in I did 24 credits online , basically a year of college doing basic college writing , history and a couple other classes . I started this year at a state school with a bio undergrad. I am currently using the gi bill but will start using vocational rehab next semester. I am hoping to go to medschool and I've heard of people using voc rehab to pay for it. I'm curious as to how as you only get 48 months. I understand the time can be extended but only if you have an intense handicap which I do not have . So if anyone has done this please explain how . Thanks !

Hey guys. Mad questions. I'm a veteran and just got out early this year. While in I did 24 credits online , basically a year of college doing basic college writing , history and a couple other classes . I started this year at a state school with a bio undergrad. I am currently using the gi bill but will start using vocational rehab next semester. I am hoping to go to medschool and I've heard of people using voc rehab to pay for it. I'm curious as to how as you only get 48 months. I understand the time can be extended but only if you have an intense handicap which I do not have . So if anyone has done this please explain how . Thanks !

Read this thread https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/veterans-anyone-using-va-voc-rehab.1107840

Good group of people in there to ask questions

Hi, thanks for doing this..
I’m in the middle of 30s, wife and mom of one kid. I just finished my B.S this year and are currently work as a MLS. Before that I worked as a RA in research labs for years.

I started at community college with a high GPA then transferred to four year college and got my degree there. Being as mom and wife, my life has ups and downs and it did affect my GPA especially when my kid was younger.( I wouldn’t use it as an excuse. But I don’t have a high GPA and that’s the truth.) my final GPA at college is 2.8( and 3.75 at community college. Do I get any chances if I score a good grade on mcat? please help..Thank you!!

@BabyDaddy
How many courses or credits did you take per semester in undergrad? Concerned because the little one is youngish so I am a part timer at college. I know this looks negative in the eyes of the admission committee but there isn’t much one do when you have kids ! (Currently taking 25-30 credits per year and spread out amongst 4 semesters. )

Hi, thanks for doing this..
I’m in the middle of 30s, wife and mom of one kid. I just finished my B.S this year and are currently work as a MLS. Before that I worked as a RA in research labs for years.

I started at community college with a high GPA then transferred to four year college and got my degree there. Being as mom and wife, my life has ups and downs and it did affect my GPA especially when my kid was younger.( I wouldn’t use it as an excuse. But I don’t have a high GPA and that’s the truth.) my final GPA at college is 2.8( and 3.75 at community college. Do I get any chances if I score a good grade on mcat? please help..Thank you!!
To be honest your chances don't look good. Going from a 3.75 to a 2.8 shows a very negative trend. Is it possible? Anything is possible. Is it likely? Not at all.
I hate to be discouraging. I know this is really, really tough with family. But don't torture yourself, find something comparable that you really love and do that! There are so many amazing fields in healthcare!
Good luck!
-BabyDaddy

@BabyDaddy
How many courses or credits did you take per semester in undergrad? Concerned because the little one is youngish so I am a part timer at college. I know this looks negative in the eyes of the admission committee but there isn’t much one do when you have kids ! (Currently taking 25-30 credits per year and spread out amongst 4 semesters. )
My course load varied but I generally took close to 17-18 hours during the regular semester and loaded up as many as they would let me take during the minimesters in summer, winter, and spring, and fall breaks. It doesn't look like your course load is terribly light. Better to take what you can handle and do well than worry about what Admissions committee will think. Most will think you are incredible for finishing college with kids. If your final numbers are competitive, your story will give you and edge, not a negative!
Good luck!
-BabyDaddy

To be honest your chances don't look good. Going from a 3.75 to a 2.8 shows a very negative trend. Is it possible? Anything is possible. Is it likely? Not at all.
I hate to be discouraging. I know this is really, really tough with family. But don't torture yourself, find something comparable that you really love and do that! There are so many amazing fields in healthcare!
Good luck!
-BabyDaddy
Hi BabyDaddy,
Thanks for being honesty and that's exactly what I need. Does other things besides GPA count heavily on non-traditional students during the application process that might help a bit? or even with a higher mcat that won't help that much? Thanks.

Hi BabyDaddy,
Thanks for being honesty and that's exactly what I need. Does other things besides GPA count heavily on non-traditional students during the application process that might help a bit? or even with a higher mcat that won't help that much? Thanks.
Sure, most students with a bad overall GPA try to show a strong improvement trend, so you could repeat some classes. A strong MCAT score also helps, but this is easier said and done. If it was that easy, everybody would ace the MCAT. Scores are highly correlated with grades. Strong letters of Rec can help, and a good personal statement is important.
The thing is, most students applying to medical school have all of those things, plus a solid GPA.
Hope this helps.
-BabyDaddy

hey man, keep up the good work. ill be a 3.5 GPA applicant in the Spring. Former vet with wife and kids also. hoping for good luck.

Congrats on Step1!
Non-trad 30 yr old applying this cycle. So. I am a So. FL resident and my wife is a 4th-grade teacher. My son is 5 mo and will be 1 by matriculation. Accepted to DO at DMU and waiting to hear back from FAU (top choice) and NSU. I will struggle if accepted to only DMU and NSU because I know how amazing DMU is and hear some trouble about NSU. I do have both mine and my wife's families here 10 mins from NSU and free childcare (1700 rent vs DMU area 750 rent).
Looking for tips/tricks on juggling children and med school. Maybe something you wish you knew before you started.

hey man, keep up the good work. ill be a 3.5 GPA applicant in the Spring. Former vet with wife and kids also. hoping for good luck.
Awesome! I hope you do well! It's a long road but worth it so far!

Congrats on Step1!
Non-trad 30 yr old applying this cycle. So. I am a So. FL resident and my wife is a 4th-grade teacher. My son is 5 mo and will be 1 by matriculation. Accepted to DO at DMU and waiting to hear back from FAU (top choice) and NSU. I will struggle if accepted to only DMU and NSU because I know how amazing DMU is and hear some trouble about NSU. I do have both mine and my wife's families here 10 mins from NSU and free childcare (1700 rent vs DMU area 750 rent).
Looking for tips/tricks on juggling children and med school. Maybe something you wish you knew before you started.
It's still early in the cycle. I know that's not what you hear on SDN, but things are very distorted here. I didn't get an interview to my current school until mid December, and interviewed in January, Texas matched to that school (which was my top choice) in February! Lots of people interview and get in late in the cycle, so don't be discouraged if you only have 2 leads so far.
As far as tips and tricks, the biggest help has been living close to family. Not really a "trick", but I don't know how we'd be getting through without family nearby to help with the kiddos periodically.
General advice once you start: focus on efficiency, efficiency, efficiency. Learning to be efficient will be the most important thing you learn in the first year of med school because you have a family who needs your time. You will never have as much time to study or as much sleep as your classmates, but if you do right by your family, you will always come out on top. Family first. Even in med school. You won't be sorry.
Good luck,
-BabyDaddy

Hey man do you mind if I PM you?