Nontraditional 2016 dental school applicants rally!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willwash

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who is the most non-traditional?

32 years old, 4 kids, 8.5 years active duty in naval aviation w/2 carrier deployments, 1,000+ flight hours in type (E-2C Hawkeye!) and 200+ carrier landings.

Political science major--graduated with a BA from UNC in 2006 with just one semester of physics under my belt in terms of hard sciences. First decided I wanted to become a dentist in April 2014 2 months before my 31st birthday and started postbacc summer term 2014. No gap year for me. I'll be filling prereqs all the way through summer term 2016, depending on where I end up going!

Members don't see this ad.

Did 10 years in Marines with 2 combat tours to Southeast Asia, 1 deployment to Africa, and 1 in the Pacific aboard the Iron Gator. Worked flight deck for harrier ops and resupply. Had a blast with the Navy on ship when stuff was actually happening.

No kids yet but my wife tells me I must provide a sample following my second year of dental school, and of course, I will comply. That should be fun.

:laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
Finishing up my bachelors this up coming semester in two an a half years. I just turned 20 and I'm applying this cycle. You guys got me beat though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not quite sure if I am consider non traditional, but I graduated in 2014. Took a few more classes after graduation, and now I am applying to dental schools + jobs.

Not quite sure if I am consider non traditional, but I graduated in 2014. Took a few more classes after graduation, and now I am applying to dental schools + jobs.

me too! i graduated in 2014. i took some post-bacc classes 2014-2015. i'm applying this cycle.

good luck to everyone!! :)

Love this thread! I am also non tradition student graduated 2012 in foreign country. I am going back to school for my pre req next week! I will probably apply 2years from now...Good luck everyone!

how do you know if you're non-trad?

Graduated with my BSc in '08, MSc in '11, and PhD in '15. I've gotten married and will soon have kids. It is fun. Currently also applying to MSL jobs with big pharma in case my dream of dentistry does not pan out this year. Pushing for a mans best friend and have a deal with the wife where we can get one if I have strong X swimmers

me too! i graduated in 2014. i took some post-bacc classes 2014-2015. i'm applying this cycle.

good luck to everyone!! :)

I'll be in your guys' shoes next year. I graduated this year, but I'll be taking some more classes via post-bacc DIY route and apply next application cycle 2016-2017. Good luck! :smug:

Reactions: 1 users
Graduated with my BSc in '08, MSc in '11, and PhD in '15. I've gotten married and will soon have kids. It is fun. Currently also applying to MSL jobs with big pharma in case my dream of dentistry does not pan out this year. Pushing for a mans best friend and have a deal with the wife where we can get one if I have strong X swimmers

after spending 11 years in research field, you just give up and want to pursue another 4+ years of dental education (probably count more pre req classes since they probably expire for you) ???????

after spending 11 years in research field, you just give up and want to pursue another 4+ years of dental education (probably count more pre req classes since they probably expire for you) ???????

You can think what you think but "give up" is certainly something I did not do. I certainly enjoy what I do, but I also know I will enjoy what I'm about to do even more.

The real shock will be having to pay tuition for the first time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a good friend in undergrad who was 30 years old an an active member of the Air Force. Good news is he easily qualified for the Air Force scholarship...He is now a D3 at Missouri Kansas City. Good luck.

Graduated in 2011 with a degree in philosophy and worked in the legal field for a while. Did a post-bac and applying this cycle!

Double major Foreign Affairs/ African American Studies, graduated from UVA in 2012, did TFA taught kindergarten for 2 years, finishing up pre reqs and applying next cycle!

Single mother to a 4 year old. Started college 3 years after high school. I will be applying this upcoming cycle in 2016.

I think if you didn't go straight into dental school after getting your BS
Not necessarily. I started my BS after 6 years in the military. I'm married (wife also started and graduated with me), have 2 kids, and I'm 28. I'd say that's fairly nontrad!!!

I'm not the most non-traditional.
It took me 5 years to graduate from UT Austin with degrees in chemistry and biochemistry. I finished a graduate program at Tulane and will be taking additional classes this fall. I'm applying this cycle and currently looking for some research positions.

I'm not the most non-traditional.
It took me 5 years to graduate from UT Austin with degrees in chemistry and biochemistry. I finished a graduate program at Tulane and will be taking additional classes this fall. I'm applying this cycle and currently looking for some research positions.

Well hey there fellow Texas grad!

What's the difference? I never got around to asking about that ha
Bachelor of Arts vs Bachelor of Science.

Edited to add: A BS is usually more focused and involves more analytical skills. A BA is usually broader in scope offering a wide array of many topics in the humanities. BA generally involves a lot more writing.

That said, as far as what either can do for you, it's virtually DMD vs DDS. Which is to say there's no discernible difference. DDS/DMD technically are only different in name though.

Last edited:
Ah okay that makes sense. Thanks a lot man!

They're both bachelor's degrees. A BA is generally not a science major, however, which adds to my non-traditional-ness IMO. I had to go back at age 31 and take a bunch of chemistry and biology classes as post-bacc.

They're both bachelor's degrees. A BA is generally not a science major, however, which adds to my non-traditional-ness IMO. I had to go back at age 31 and take a bunch of chemistry and biology classes as post-bacc.
Gotcha!

Graduated in 2013 with a degree in Sociology (and minor in entrepreneurship!). Worked in public policy research for a bit. Then started two businesses while finishing my pre-reqs (countabilitycoaching.com & occuplatter.com). Now getting ready to start my 2-year masters program in Marriage and Family Therapy, and planning to start dental school right after that one is done!

Graduated in 2011 with a degree in Foreign Language & Literature. Worked 3 years and decided to go back to school and take science classes and I'm now applying for dental school. Wish me luck!

Graduated in 2011 with a degree in Foreign Language & Literature. Worked 3 years and decided to go back to school and take science classes and I'm now applying for dental school. Wish me luck!

Good luck! Very similar to my situation. I've gotten one interview invite so far so it's definitely possible!

So here's my story,

Defending my dental implant PhD thesis tomorrow
Canadian
Undergrad Science GPA: 2.45
Grad Science GPA: 3.80
DAT: AA21, TS 22
3 good LOR
Lots of research and EC hours
Almost 200 hours of shadowing
Mailing Date: 07/31/2015
Already got rejected by LECOM

Hopefully I can get in somewhere, and best of luck to everyone else as well!

4 years active duty Army with 2 combat tours to Iraq. 33 years old with a wife and 2 boys under the age of three. Graduated with a BS in Animal Science and went back to school August 2014 to finish pre-reqs. I applied this cycle and I am (not so patiently) awaiting an interview invite. 750 hours shadowing/ 412 hours volunteering, 3.54 oGPA and a 3.31 sGPA

Bachelor of Arts vs Bachelor of Science.

Edited to add: A BS is usually more focused and involves more analytical skills. A BA is usually broader in scope offering a wide array of many topics in the humanities. BA generally involves a lot more writing.

That said, as far as what either can do for you, it's virtually DMD vs DDS. Which is to say there's no discernible difference. DDS/DMD technically are only different in name though.

Do you have any idea if BS from hygiene school serves as the Bachelor's requirement for Dental School?

I had a good friend in undergrad who was 30 years old an an active member of the Air Force. Good news is he easily qualified for the Air Force scholarship...He is now a D3 at Missouri Kansas City. Good luck.

Hi @irishmom , I've sent you a PM with my questions!