Sep 2, 2020
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Any advice for a K-12 teacher interested in clinical psych to take psychology courses and gain research experience to decide if they might one day be interested in applying to doctorate programs? Would someone need a doctorate in clinical psych to work somewhere like a university counseling center?

summerbabe

2+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2016
Status
Psychologist
Would someone need a doctorate in clinical psych to work somewhere like a university counseling center?
No. At my small liberal arts undergrad, the director was a PhD but the other clinicians were all Master's level therapists. At my grad school, I believe there were 2 PhDs (one was the director) and the rest were LCSW/LPC/MFT folks.

If you want to do therapy in that type of setting, a Master's degree might be a better route because I think UCC PhDs generally make below the median PhD salary (but with no less schooling/training). Some reputable, brick and mortar Social Work programs may also allow part-time attendance.

R. Matey

A Pirate
5+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2014
Treasure Island
Status
Post Doc
Any advice for a K-12 teacher interested in clinical psych to take psychology courses and gain research experience to decide if they might one day be interested in applying to doctorate programs? Would someone need a doctorate in clinical psych to work somewhere like a university counseling center?
You don't need a doctorate to work in a UCC as a therapist. Many master's level clinicians work there just providing services. It would be difficult to advance in a UCC without a doctorate (e.g.: clinical or executive director position) though. It depends on what you want and how many years you want to spend in school. A doctorate in psychology is about 5-7 years of graduate school, including internship, and an additional year for postdoctoral training to be licensed. A master's degree (I tend to recommend MSWs) is about two years of graduate school plus an additional two years at serf wages until licensure.

I'd suggest talking to a therapist in a UCC about their career, if you can.

About the Ads

MamaPhD

Psychologist, Academic Medical Center
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2010
Status
Psychologist
No, you don't need to have a PhD. I know a teacher who was able to work part-time while studying for a master's degree in counseling. It worked out well for them.

Reactions: thebalmofhurtminds

Spydra

5+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2014
Status
Psychology Student
If you decide a PhD is best for you, Clinical isn't the only option. Counseling psych programs would also help you get where you'd like to go.

About the Ads