Sep 2, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Any advice for a K-12 teacher interested in clinical psych to take psychology courses and gain research experience to decide if they might one day be interested in applying to doctorate programs? Would someone need a doctorate in clinical psych to work somewhere like a university counseling center?

Nov 22, 2016
Status
  1. Psychologist
Would someone need a doctorate in clinical psych to work somewhere like a university counseling center?
No. At my small liberal arts undergrad, the director was a PhD but the other clinicians were all Master's level therapists. At my grad school, I believe there were 2 PhDs (one was the director) and the rest were LCSW/LPC/MFT folks.

If you want to do therapy in that type of setting, a Master's degree might be a better route because I think UCC PhDs generally make below the median PhD salary (but with no less schooling/training). Some reputable, brick and mortar Social Work programs may also allow part-time attendance.

Jul 15, 2014
Treasure Island
Status
  1. Post Doc
Any advice for a K-12 teacher interested in clinical psych to take psychology courses and gain research experience to decide if they might one day be interested in applying to doctorate programs? Would someone need a doctorate in clinical psych to work somewhere like a university counseling center?

You don't need a doctorate to work in a UCC as a therapist. Many master's level clinicians work there just providing services. It would be difficult to advance in a UCC without a doctorate (e.g.: clinical or executive director position) though. It depends on what you want and how many years you want to spend in school. A doctorate in psychology is about 5-7 years of graduate school, including internship, and an additional year for postdoctoral training to be licensed. A master's degree (I tend to recommend MSWs) is about two years of graduate school plus an additional two years at serf wages until licensure.

I'd suggest talking to a therapist in a UCC about their career, if you can.

About the Ads

MamaPhD

Psychologist, Academic Medical Center
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2010
Status
  1. Psychologist

No, you don't need to have a PhD. I know a teacher who was able to work part-time while studying for a master's degree in counseling. It worked out well for them.

Reactions: thebalmofhurtminds
Aug 16, 2014
Status
  1. Psychology Student
If you decide a PhD is best for you, Clinical isn't the only option. Counseling psych programs would also help you get where you'd like to go.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads