Nontraditional-Military and School Transfers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JellySprinkle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My situation is a little complicated and I am wondering what the chances seem like they would be that I would get accepted into Medical School.

Here goes (might be long):

I started school at University #1 and went for 2 years. Then I had a personal issue and was out of school for a semester. Then I enlisted in the Army. I was gone for a year and a half. Then I transferred to University #2 (I had to move for my job). I attended there for 1 semester. Then I was deployed and was gone for another year. Then I returned home and am a senior at University #3.

At #1 and #2, I had GPAs of around 3.6. But the grades do not transfer to #3, only the credits. So all of those As are lost. I only have a handful of grades that are accounting for my GPA at #3, which is around a 3.0.

Since I will be graduating from #3, is it only my final GPA from #3 that matters? If I apply to med school, will I be able to submit all transcripts? Will that even be taken into consideration?

I have been in the Medical Corps for six years and have worked in a few hospitals. I worked at Walter Reed for a year in Washington DC. I am still in the military, am a veteran and put myself through school (I have never taken out student loans). I am 26 years old now and looking to graduate next spring. I have not taken the MCAT, but am scheduled for April. I have been pulled out of school three times. School takes a backseat when I have soldiers at war that I need to take care of. So this past year that I have been home has been all over the place with grades (all the way from As to Cs).

I have a ton of real life experience and am a well rounded person. I am a member of Mensa. I have put myself through school despite many hurdles from the military as well as in my personal life (medical issues). I have several doctors, professors, NPs and various military personnel that are more than willing to write me LORs. I really am qualified, I just have a low GPA and a confusing school track record!

If my GPA is low, what can I do to improve my chances of being accepted? Are all of the other factors considered when looking at nontraditional candidates? Does being a veteran improve my chances?

Thank you so much.

Also, do military related disability issues help or hinder the application process? Should they be mentioned or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
At #1 and #2, I had GPAs of around 3.6. But the grades do not transfer to #3, only the credits. So all of those As are lost. I only have a handful of grades that are accounting for my GPA at #3, which is around a 3.0.

Since I will be graduating from #3, is it only my final GPA from #3 that matters? If I apply to med school, will I be able to submit all transcripts? Will that even be taken into consideration?
Forget what school #3 does with transfers & GPAs. When you apply to med school, you're required to submit every college transcript you ever got, and any GPA reported on a transcript is completely ignored. You'll enter your coursework line by line and your GPA will come from the aggregate.

I just have a low GPA and a confusing school track record!
No you don't. Go back and figure out your cumulative GPA. There are lots of us here with many more transcripts. Mine cover 25 years, go from semester to quarter and back, total of over 130 courses taken.

If my GPA is low, what can I do to improve my chances of being accepted?
One thing you can do is keep taking undergrad courses. Again, see if your GPA is as bad as you think it is. If it's lower than maybe 3.5, hop over to the postbac forum for suggestions.
Are all of the other factors considered when looking at nontraditional candidates? Does being a veteran improve my chances?
You have to jump through the same hoops as other candidates, and your GPAs and MCAT score are absolutely critical. Your military experience is pure gold. Your (presumed) maturity will set you apart.

Also, do military related disability issues help or hinder the application process? Should they be mentioned or not?
If the disability makes you a less compelling candidate (neuro or psych issues), don't mention it. If the disability is a knee or other issue that won't affect your ability to succeed in medical school, but which give you tight perspective on medical care, go for it.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrMidlife- Thank you so much for your response. It was encouraging to hear that I should not write off medical school just yet.

I will definitely go back and calculate my cumulative GPA from all three schools. I am glad that I am not the only person who has an issue like this. I have lost credits during my transfers, so I will have a B.S. in Neurobiology but have around 145 credits.

tellsarah- I am currently in Wisconsin.

Thanks again! :)

Forget what school #3 does with transfers & GPAs. When you apply to med school, you're required to submit every college transcript you ever got, and any GPA reported on a transcript is completely ignored. You'll enter your coursework line by line and your GPA will come from the aggregate.

Dr. Midlife - I have a question about this. When I first came out of high school I attended a small (150 student) Bible school that was not accredited. I went there for a year. I have never considered these classes as "college" credits and ignored that part of my history since most colleges wouldn't accept the transfers anyway and, even if they did, what requirements would a class on "The Pentateuch" meet? I made all A's in this school so including the classes could only help my GPA, however they would probably just add more questions than are worth spending time answering.

Dr. Midlife - I have a question about this. When I first came out of high school I attended a small (150 student) Bible school that was not accredited. I went there for a year. I have never considered these classes as "college" credits and ignored that part of my history since most colleges wouldn't accept the transfers anyway and, even if they did, what requirements would a class on "The Pentateuch" meet? I made all A's in this school so including the classes could only help my GPA, however they would probably just add more questions than are worth spending time answering.

Include it! Get those A's! If you can get the school to send a transcript, AMCAS will probably count it. 42,000 apps per year...they don't have time to argue everything. There's a religious studies course category.

Edit: furthermore, you're required to submit that transcript. See the AMCAS instructions, page 32.

Last edited: