This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You’ll be fine. What is your reason for wanting to do a formal postbacc instead of a diy? Formal ones are usually more expensive and less flexible in scheduling without a significant added benefit for being “formal.”

When do you ETS? Have you looked into EMDP2 or just doing a diy and then applying? You’re in great shape right now.

@Matthew9Thirtyfive I have heavily weighed the pros and cons of diy vs a formal post bacc -- my decision to pursue a formal post bacc is, for the majority, anchored in the fact that I have never demonstrated academic proficiency in a structured and rigorous undergraduate environment. I think that the pursuit of a formal program might convince future ADCOMs that I possess the academic ability to thrive in a competitive environment. As of now, I am concerned that my academic history does not display the potential for success in a medical school environment.

I ETS in FEB20 after graduation in AUG19. I would have to extend to even find out one cycle of EMDP2 admissions. I have contacted the department and there is no sway on the admissions decision timeline. I have decided to take the path of least time to medical school with my full GI bill untouched at this stage (out-of-pocket undergrad).

Members don't see this ad :)
@Matthew9Thirtyfive I have heavily weighed the pros and cons of diy vs a formal post bacc -- my decision to pursue a formal post bacc is, for the majority, anchored in the fact that I have never demonstrated academic proficiency in a structured and rigorous undergraduate environment. I think that the pursuit of a formal program might convince future ADCOMs that I possess the academic ability to thrive in a competitive environment. As of now, I am concerned that my academic history does not display the potential for success in a medical school environment.

Honestly that isn’t really important. You have very good stats, and an excellent performance in a postbacc, diy or formal, will show adcoms that you have it academically. With a great MCAT, you will kill it.

Edit: but just to answer your questions, you should be very competitive.

I ETS in FEB20 after graduation in AUG19. I would have to extend to even find out one cycle of EMDP2 admissions. I have contacted the department and there is no sway on the admissions decision timeline. I have decided to take the path of least time to medical school with my full GI bill untouched at this stage (out-of-pocket undergrad).

Fair enough. I mean the results usually come out in March so you could always extend for a month or two and then ets if you don’t get selected. But I get the pull to just get out. If you’re not 100% committed to staying in mil med, it’s better to just get out.

@Matthew9Thirtyfive How would you weigh UMich MEDPREP in my case? It is in-state for me and relatively close to where I lived prior to the military. Considering the cost of attendance would be similar to a diy at either UMich or MSU.

@Matthew9Thirtyfive How would you weigh UMich MEDPREP in my case? It is in-state for me and relatively close to where I lived prior to the military. Considering the cost of attendance would be similar to a diy at either UMich or MSU.

Honestly I don’t know much about the individual postbaccs. But if it’s IS for you, I think you’d be solid there with your app.

I would consider a DIY post bacc of just the pre-reqs. A degree online shouldn't be looked at too unfavorably considering the circumstances, but many schools either won't take online prereqs or have a limit of how many (you mentioned taking physics online, but not sure how many others you may have taken). By doing this, you'd also by default be studying for the mcat since those are what are tested plus some psych and biochem I believe. Score well on the MCAT with in-person pre-reqs while keeping the GPA up, I think you'll be just fine.

I would do either your state school, a similar school nearby be it in state or a different state if you're near the border, or the closest school to you depending on your ability to move if needed to get to your state school.