1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Nontraditional Two Time Reapplicant. Advice?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by rumbleinthej, Jul 23, 2011.

1. rumbleinthej

Here are my stats.

cGPA = 2.942
    sGPA = 3.483
    Post-Bacc GPA = 3.867 (75 Units, all sciences)
    MCAT #1: 30O (V8, P11, B11)
    MCAT #2: 30M (V8, P12, B10)
    MCAT #3: 33M (V10, P12, B11)

Experience:
    • 40hr shadowing Cardiologist
    • 40hr shadowing Gastroenterologist
    • 2yrs paid at Internal Medicine private practice (Front office assistant, Medical assistant, IT Admin work [currently setting up electronic health records])
    • 2wks volunteer abroad for medical mission
    • 6mos volunteer at Emergency Department and Physical Rehab at Private Hospital
    • 1yr volunteer at free clinic (front office/lab technician work)
    • 1.5yr volunteer at nursing home (activities office)
    • 2yr research (own project) in chick muscle development
    • 3 poster presentations (1 at a national conference)
    • 2yr involvement with campus initiative of UNICEF (1yr Chair at Large, 1 yr president)
    • 1yr teaching a supplementary university physics course

Prior to my post-bacc, I graduated with a BA in economics, and worked in a cubicle for several years. Fell in love with medicine after volunteering at the free clinic, bit my lip and started my post-bacc program, and haven't regretted it since. However, my undergraduate GPA is downright poor, and it has taken me several years to get my cGPA to where it's now. I've applied broadly twice already (MD+DO) with 0 interviews the first time (applied late), with 2 interviews the second time (still wait listed at 1). Disappointed, I did apply to SGU and Ross as a backup and recently finished my interview for January 2012. Am I doing the right thing going to the Carribbean should I be accepted instead of reapplying to US schools?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rumbleinthej

forgot to mention, I am a California resident

4. MedAdComMD

Removed 2+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    I would suggest you try for MD/DO in the US if you can. The consensus is that more and more medical schools are opening up in the future, and residency spots for IMGs will be hard to get.

5. rumbleinthej

What else I should do to improve my application? Currently I'm out of school, and I'm working at the aforementioned private practice and volunteering at the nursing home. Although I have a drastic and consistent upward trend (my interviewers all mentioned this to me) I fear that my cGPA is too low to be saved.

6. Amarillo

2+ Year Member

How far in the process have you gotten before (interview? waitlist?) and where have you been applying?

It sounds like you have gotten to the interview stage. Are you confident that your interview skills are up to snuff? To me - please bear in mind that I am not especially well-qualified to comment on the prospects of another's application - your ECs seem varied, and like they're covering all of your bases. You say you've applied MD & DO, and I would assume broadly. If you're hitting the interview stage, schools seem to be accepting what you're showing them on paper, in terms of ECs, upward trend, commitment, PS, and LORs...

#5 Amarillo, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  7. nicknickp3

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Maybe retake another semester of grades, particularly the ones you failed or made a C in to get your GPA to a 3.0. Or go the SMP route, if you do as well as you did in your own post bacc you will get an acceptance for sure.

8. TriagePreMed

TriagePreMed Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Without the 3.0, most schools won't even read your application. Bring it up to that point and apply. I honestly believe that with a year of retakes, you can make it into DO easily.

9. Temperature101

Temperature101 Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think you should be ok for DO now...Dont go carib

10. rumbleinthej

This seems like a good idea, but I'll have to take classes at a 4 year school different from the one I did my post-bacc work. Do you think that will raise any eyebrows? It should be fine right?

11. rumbleinthej

Is there an MSAR equivalent for DO schools? It's difficult to know which schools I'll be at least hopefully for.

12. rumbleinthej

I've applied broadly (~45 schools, mostly lower tier), and only received 2 interviews. I got rejected post-interview for the first (U of Iowa), and for the second one (EVMS), I was placed in the upper 1/3 waitlist. The orientation at EVMS is going to start in 3 weeks, and my chances are looking quite bleak. As for my interview skills, I feel that they aren't bad, I felt like I got along great with my interviewers, and I finished each confidently.

13. rumbleinthej

Yes I know the chances aren't as great at SGU compared to US schools, but what kind of opportunities will be there for me in your opinion, if I work really hard and graduate top 10% of my class from SGU?

14. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member