Nontraditional w/Masters, where best to pick up pre-med credits?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tarbell86

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody

I am a 28 year old English Writing Instructor at a University in Austin, TX. I hold a Master's and Bachelor's degree, both in English. My undergraduate GPA was 3.4, and my graduate GPA was 3.9 (damn A- in one class). Anyway, I've always gone back and forth with myself about going to Medical school. It's something, truth be told, that I've always wanted to do, and felt drawn to. But, and I hate to admit this, because of series of events and poor timing, made a decision to follow my other interest nearly 10 years ago instead.

For many reasons (perhaps too many to list here) I've decided to change career paths and go to Medical School. So, here's my question: I'm well aware of the pre-med course requirements. A few of these credits I technically have--thanks to my BA--although, truth be told I'd like to retake some of them, not necessarily because I did poorly, but because I don't remember a whole lot of the material. In my case, would pre-med course credits from a community college be acceptable (considering all other ducks were in a row: MCAT, volunteer work, etc.)? How would someone in my shoes go about this kind of thing?

EDIT: I've read some similar posts where people say they took some CC courses and some at 4 year institutions. Do 4 Year Inst. let people do this? Take 8 classes and that's it?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
-although, truth be told I'd like to retake some of them, not necessarily because I did poorly, but because I don't remember a whole lot of the material.
Some programs have a policy of not accepted courses taken more than X years ago. You should check the websites of individual MD/DO programs that you're interested in.

In my case, would pre-med course credits from a community college be acceptable (considering all other ducks were in a row: MCAT, volunteer work, etc.)?
From what I've read, my guess is: no. Maybe a few, but definitely not all. Imagine if you were a 23 year old traditional applicant and all of your science classes were from a community college - sounds pretty bad, right? Unfortunately being older doesn't mean we can cut corners (I really really wish we could).

Do 4 Year Inst. let people do this? Take 8 classes and that's it?
A lot of large universities allow this. Look up "continuing education" courses and "non-degree seeking" enrollment. Since you're in Austin, the appropriate links are:
http://www.utexas.edu/community-engagement/continuing-education
http://bealonghorn.utexas.edu/transfer/admission/nondegree

Best of luck!

Wow, here I am teaching at the Uni level, and totally had no idea about continuing education! Thanks! Maybe I'll even get a discount!

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I've looked into the "non-degree seeking" student, and this seems to be my best bet. It would appear that the "continuing education" wouldn't work because they don't offer labs....

Anyway, can someone give me their two cents on the "non-degree seeking" student route? How'd you do it? Is it true you can't get federal loans? Will I have a hard time getting into classes? etc. Thanks again for all your help!

I would suggest talking to an advisor at the nearest 4 year university and seeing what they suggest. It's all over the place - almost every university I've checked out accomodates people in your (my) situation, but they vary in terms of how they want you to register, whether there's financial aid, etc.

Only thing I would suggest is to be very mindful of costs - the formal postbacs mostly are not worth it, with the expensive ones certainly not being so; institutional quality is unlikely to decide your fate, which really hinges on the MCAT and having as few B's as possible on your record.

Last edited:
Hello everybody

I am a 28 year old English Writing Instructor at a University in Austin, TX. I hold a Master's and Bachelor's degree, both in English. My undergraduate GPA was 3.4, and my graduate GPA was 3.9 (damn A- in one class). Anyway, I've always gone back and forth with myself about going to Medical school. It's something, truth be told, that I've always wanted to do, and felt drawn to. But, and I hate to admit this, because of series of events and poor timing, made a decision to follow my other interest nearly 10 years ago instead.

For many reasons (perhaps too many to list here) I've decided to change career paths and go to Medical School. So, here's my question: I'm well aware of the pre-med course requirements. A few of these credits I technically have--thanks to my BA--although, truth be told I'd like to retake some of them, not necessarily because I did poorly, but because I don't remember a whole lot of the material. In my case, would pre-med course credits from a community college be acceptable (considering all other ducks were in a row: MCAT, volunteer work, etc.)? How would someone in my shoes go about this kind of thing?

EDIT: I've read some similar posts where people say they took some CC courses and some at 4 year institutions. Do 4 Year Inst. let people do this? Take 8 classes and that's it?

Thank you!

We are on a same boat ! I'm 25 with Master in Electrical Engineering but I really want to go to Med school ! did u figure out what's going to be the best for us? I mean does just taking some classes at CC satisfy the med school's requirements ? or the best will be taking some classes at a large university? ( can I get loan for that? )
Sometimes I am thinking about getting a B.S in Biology Since my underaged GPA in Electrical Engineering was 3.2 !

We are on a same boat ! I'm 25 with Master in Electrical Engineering but I really want to go to Med school ! did u figure out what's going to be the best for us? I mean does just taking some classes at CC satisfy the med school's requirements ? or the best will be taking some classes at a large university? ( can I get loan for that? )
Sometimes I am thinking about getting a B.S in Biology Since my underaged GPA in Electrical Engineering was 3.2 !
You did engineering though Im sure they factor that in !
Im 23 about to graduate with an accounting degree but I hate it ....
What do you guys think

CC vs Post Bach ?

Hello everybody

Thank you!
Have you considered a post bach? Maybe you could take intro to chem , bio and physics at a community coollege? Or plunge yuorself into a post bac ( warning it will be tough for us non traditonals) Im a 23 year old accounting major...

a lot of non-degree folks have to cash pay as it has FAFSA implications, if that's the case and you don't have free tuition you'll likely want to consider community college because your degree in english means you probably aren't independently wealthy ;)

anywhere will be fine, just nail the grades