Nontrads, Tell Us About your 'Wild' Friday Night

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know this is supposed to be a weekend thread but this week has been awesome. It took about 9 months but I finally got to shadow! I shadowed a Family Medicine doc. in a small town the last two days, was expecting today to be the last day but he has invited me to a hospice meeting on Friday! Can't tell you how excited I am!:soexcited:

:highfive:

Members don't see this ad.

excitedtoapply said:
I know this is supposed to be a weekend thread but this week has been awesome. It took about 9 months but I finally got to shadow! I shadowed a Family Medicine doc. in a small town the last two days, was expecting today to be the last day but he has invited me to a hospice meeting on Friday! Can't tell you how excited I am!
I think this is the first time I have ever seen someone get that excited about a hospice meeting. :laugh: But all kidding aside, I'm glad you are having a good shadowing experience, and hospice is a great experience to have. I liked palliative medicine quite a bit when I was on my geriatrics rotation.

Was working with a first year student; they have a program here where the preclinical students go into clinics, wards, ED, etc. every so often during their first two years. Wow, I had forgotten how little an MS1 knows, even at the end of the year. I was talking about a drug we were using, and the kid asked me what it was, and I was like, :smack:, good going, Q, he hasn't even had pharmacology yet. :oops: So I had to back way up and try to explain what was going on at a simpler level. It's not easy explaining pharm to someone who hasn't ever had pharm! At the same time, it's really fun to have the first years around. Everything is new and cool to them, even things that stopped being exciting to me a long time ago. They're so excited to get to even watch procedures. Last fall when I had this one kid glove up to assist me by handing me the things I needed, he kept thanking me over and over and saying it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I was like, dude, chill. Handing me some instruments couldn't have been *that* exciting. :laugh:

We have some newly minted MS3s working with us this month. They're fun too; they're coming fresh off of studying for Step 1, so they keep me on my toes, and they haven't gotten jaded yet. It gets tough to find time to teach them when we're busy though, and they're still pretty awkward with their H&Ps since they're just starting out, so I've been taking them into patients' rooms with me and having them do part of the history while I write the chart, and then we do the physical together. That saves a lot of time. When things are slower, they practice presenting a patient to me and then they present their patient to the attending. It seems to be a pretty good system for balancing efficiency with their learning. Well, none of them have complained, at any rate.

Tonight I'm going to go to the gym and then get Indian food. :thumbup:

Studying for a test.....again. First years almost over. I can barely believe it. Thinking about research again, miss it and all of its questionable solutions to weird problems that no one else has seen. Oh, rat race I never thought I would miss you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Studying for a test.....again. First years almost over. I can barely believe it. Thinking about research again, miss it and all of its questionable solutions to weird problems that no one else has seen. Oh, rat race I never thought I would miss you.

Yeah, ChemMed, I'm studying for another test again, also. I have one more remediation exam next week and, if I pass it, I am done with first year. I am in for another long, grueling week of studying all day, every day. :hungover:

I miss research, too! I worked in clinical research for over a decade. I miss it and I am trying to figure out how to work my way back in over the next few years...

Spent all of Friday night moving into my new apartment..

Yeah, ChemMed, I'm studying for another test again, also. I have one more remediation exam next week and, if I pass it, I am done with first year. I am in for another long, grueling week of studying all day, every day. :hungover:

I miss research, too! I worked in clinical research for over a decade. I miss it and I am trying to figure out how to work my way back in over the next few years...

Glad to hear that I am not the only one. If it weren't for the current trend of post-docing for 7-9 years before acquiring an academic position I would have stayed in it I think. For now what I am doing is up my ally of life plans. Researh is a special flavor though that sinks its teeth into you and stays. Study hard! You can make it :)

I went out to dinner at a nice restaurant to celebrate my stipend from signing my contract. Nothing like seeing 10% of your check go to dinner for four. (it was a really nice meal....).

I'm celebrating the end of organic by learning what this protein folding stuff is all about. Also watching whale wars and drinking.

In addition to learning about protein folding, you can DO protein folding:
http://fold.it/portal/info/science#whygame

Impress your friends. Contribute to science. Even get your name on a published research article!

In addition to learning about protein folding, you can DO protein folding:
http://fold.it/portal/info/science#whygame

Impress your friends. Contribute to science. Even get your name on a published research article!

I had heard about that but I have a strange philosophy of needing to know what's behind anything I do. So I want to, hence the learning. Yeah I'm strange.

I will be in Starbucks again. With a bunch Berkeley Review MCAT books keeping me company. Drinking another carmel macchiato. Same as yesterday... and the day before... you get the idea.

My wild Friday nights consist of watching fights, NBA playoffs, the Euro, and World Cup qualifiers. With beer. Of course, this will end in two weeks with my summer class coming up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last Friday, tonight and the following four Fridays I'll be observing a Hypnobabies class. I'm doing this as a "hoop" for my DONA International Birth Doula Certification. It's really interesting, especially hearing the couples share what motivated them to come to the class.

Will be reading for my summer school class that starts on Monday. We have to pre-read the first chapter for class :(.

Why so sad? What class are you taking?

I had plans to do absolutely nothing this weekend as it's the last weekend before I start summer school and pre-writing secondaries. I found out last night that the teacher assigned us a chapter of homework though.

It's a bio class called "Human Health & Disease." Should be interesting, I just didn't want to start until Monday ;)

I had plans to do absolutely nothing this weekend as it's the last weekend before I start summer school and pre-writing secondaries. I found out last night that the teacher assigned us a chapter of homework though.

It's a bio class called "Human Health & Disease." Should be interesting, I just didn't want to start until Monday ;)

So?

It's due at 8 AM Monday. Start at 8 PM Sunday.

Got to start the summer off right :D

Yeah. Tonight it's just me, the kiddos, my Tylenol 3 (I had to switch from the Ultram. It made me itch like a crackhead), and The Cosby Show season 6 on DVD. I know what you guys are thinking: "Calm down, Zool. This sounds out of control." Don't worry. I'll try not to get arrested. :D

I'm celebrating the end of organic by learning what this protein folding stuff is all about. Also watching whale wars and drinking.

In an undergrad cell bio class I got assigned to do a presentation on a protein folding research project being done by a faculty member. I remember groaning in my head, other people had gotten cool stuff like apoptosis. But then I interviewed the PI and decided protein folding was actually pretty sweet.

My Friday consisted of work and more computer issues. I figure they'll have all the tech stuff worked out right about the time I get into medical school, or matriculate.

However, I do actually have next weekend off and am on VACATION for a whole 8 days. Taking suggestions....? (keeping it local and hopefully budget friendly)

In an undergrad cell bio class I got assigned to do a presentation on a protein folding research project being done by a faculty member. I remember groaning in my head, other people had gotten cool stuff like apoptosis. But then I interviewed the PI and decided protein folding was actually pretty sweet.

My Friday consisted of work and more computer issues. I figure they'll have all the tech stuff worked out right about the time I get into medical school, or matriculate.

However, I do actually have next weekend off and am on VACATION for a whole 8 days. Taking suggestions....? (keeping it local and hopefully budget friendly)

You could go camping if that's local for you. No matter what you choose to do, eight days off will be wonderful.

I got all duded up in my finest linen and helped a gathering of Montanans finish a pitcher of Southern Pecan beer. It tasted like a praline. Then we went too have cocktails and live music. The music was an angry grrl brass band, but the women (ages 16-25) were too cute and giggly to maintain the facade of being mad at something. Then we went to an absinthe house and bought one of each brand to compare and contrast. At that point the green fairy took over and the evening gets a little fuzzy, but I do remember blowing smoke bubbles from a kiwi flavored hookah towards a belly dancer. Life stays interesting down here.

Book, study, test, life on hold.....yet another Friday night in medical school......except its the last of my first year!!!:D

So?

It's due at 8 AM Monday. Start at 8 PM Sunday.

Got to start the summer off right :D

Cracked open the book last night. Literally, I opened it as if there was a monster hiding under the first page. Skimmed over the first chapter and realized it's stuff I learned in A&P!

You could go camping if that's local for you. No matter what you choose to do, eight days off will be wonderful.

Camping is definitely an option. Problem, finding someone to go with me as all my friends work goofy shift work hours like me and I don't think camping alone as a female is a safe game plan. I was browsing employer corporate discounts and was thinking about developing a vacay based on them such as: horse trail rides, cave exploration, science museum, zoo, reptile garden, dinner, maybe a play or game or something too.

Camping is definitely an option. Problem, finding someone to go with me as all my friends work goofy shift work hours like me and I don't think camping alone as a female is a safe game plan. I was browsing employer corporate discounts and was thinking about developing a vacay based on them such as: horse trail rides, cave exploration, science museum, zoo, reptile garden, dinner, maybe a play or game or something too.

Ooh, cave exploration, science museum and reptile garden sound very fun. :)

I just had three days off and I was back at work today and the next two weeks are 40+ at work plus my volunteer commitments are starting up. It'll be a busy two weeks.

Spent the last two nights in a pleasant wine-induced haze at my small city's annual Jazz & Wine Festival. Good music, good friends, cheap (and delicious) wine. This would be a monthly thing if I had any say in it ;). Actually, it might, there's at least one more later in the summer nearby, I just need to find a couple more and we could make it a tradition!

Next weekend will be more interesting, running in my first Warrior Dash with a couple of friends. Not going for any sort of time, but 5K of obstacles and mud should make things fun.

Secondary marathon starts Monday.

I will be in Starbucks again. With a bunch Berkeley Review MCAT books keeping me company. Drinking another carmel macchiato. Same as yesterday... and the day before... you get the idea.

So yeah... not much will change today. I may switch to tea though. Kinda sick of coffee. I'm a wild and crazy guy!

I lied, secondary marathon started half an hour ago. Tonight is my first night off from work in a while. I've got a pot of baked beans about ready to come out of the oven and a long night ahead of me.

So yeah... not much will change today. I may switch to tea though. Kinda sick of coffee. I'm a wild and crazy guy!

Do you like lemonade? Try Amp Lemonade!

Anyway, I know how you feel. TBR and I became pretty friendly from Friday-Sunday earlier this year. She's a fickle girl.

Last Friday, tonight and the following four Fridays I'll be observing a Hypnobabies class. I'm doing this as a "hoop" for my DONA International Birth Doula Certification. It's really interesting, especially hearing the couples share what motivated them to come to the class.

Yep, spent my night doing self-hypnosis with the pregnant ladies. Now my husband and I are going to snuggle on the couch with the doggies (we have one and we're dogsitting for a friend).

Damn, my Friday nights are WILD!

Only got 1 secondary done in the last 4 hours. Oh boy.

Heading to bed to get some sleep before my Warrior Dash in the morning $$

Had night off from work to start to my vacation, first Friday off in so long I can't remember, though I picked up a call shift for my other gig, no calls. Spent it talking on the phone with my dad for almost 3 hrs about all kinds of interesting things. I can count on one hand the number of times we've talked on the phone for more than just a few minutes. He's got some funny ideas about things....

Then I spent the night bonding with a new book. I fully intend to do more reading for the rest of vacay. Rush ordered hammock tree straps to facilitate this :cool: It is supposed to rain for a good chunk of my vacation though.:rolleyes:

Lastly, got the real-estate agent coming by to look at my house and see what needs sprucing up so I need to get things in order before that. It's going to be a busy couple days..

My friday night has been so wild, a combination of excess, exploration, and exhaustion, that to describe it any further would be tacky. Suffice it to say there are more smiles in this world than there were Friday morning, and though my clock reads 7th hour of Saturday, it would be more accurate to call it the 31st hour of Friday. In a good way.

Spent my Friday night working since I have classes during the week :(

Spent 15 minutes last night filling out NYCOM's (DO) online secondary only to realize today that I didn't apply to NYCOM. I did, however, apply to NYMC (MD). :thumbdown:

Spent 15 minutes last night filling out NYCOM's (DO) online secondary only to realize today that I didn't apply to NYCOM. I did, however, apply to NYMC (MD). :thumbdown:
:laugh:

Maybe that's a sign you should add on NYCOM, Med. :D

As for me, I was working. Which I'll be doing again tonight. Fortunately, the last couple of nights have been relatively quiet. Here's hoping that my luck holds out again tonight.... :xf:

Warrior Dash today. As much fun as I expected it to be, much less pain than I expected. Either I'm in better shape than I thought or I just stressed a lot over nothing (I'm guessing more the second than anything). Highly recommended for someone who wants to go have some fun running about in the mud with friends (and an ice cold beer never tastes as sweet as it does on a 90 degree day after trekking 3.2 miles over a dozen obstacles, I'm convinced of this fact now).

I just went crazy friday night.... first I finished up a photoshop project for a class I am taking. (I like photoshop and being artistic so I took this class as a fun elective) That was really wild :laugh: then...I flopped down on the couch, cuddled up to my hubby and we watched some japanese anime until we were tired. I crawled into bed at that point and Im not telling the rest ;)

woo...crazy crazy lol

My friday night has been so wild, a combination of excess, exploration, and exhaustion, that to describe it any further would be tacky. Suffice it to say there are more smiles in this world than there were Friday morning, and though my clock reads 7th hour of Saturday, it would be more accurate to call it the 31st hour of Friday. In a good way.

Gotta tell you MT, I've been doing more and more research about a few certain schools and I'm really falling in love with Tulane. I've been to NOLA before and the atmosphere reminds me so much of being at home (Hawaii).

I sure hope I'm competitive enough to get accepted there. It was my #2 choice a week ago, but it's moved up into first place and is way ahead of the pack.

My answer to "Where do you want to go to med school?" was always "wherever I get in." But now I can honestly say that I'll be disappointed if Tulane rejects me. :scared:

There we go, my all time favorite SDN thread bumped up yet again, and on Friday the 13th!

I actually have this weekend off. The whole thing, from now until Monday morning. I have no idea what to do with all of this free time: did my laundry after lecture a few days ago, and don't need any groceries right now. Anyone want to recommend any good books? Just finished Daemon and its sequel by Daniel Suarez. If you're a techie or into MMORPGs, you will *love* this book. Even a computer-illiterate gamer amateur like me couldn't stop turning the pages.....figuratively, anyway. I mean, I read it on my Kindle. :D

Edit: Also, does anyone else besides me "rescue" the insects and spiders that find their way into your house/apartment? I always try to catch and release them outside, especially spiders. I've been told this is not normal behavior. :laugh:

Last edited:
Taking a much needed break away from studying: laundry, watered all my plants, fed and took care of all my animals, and even ordered some knitting supplies to knit an organic eco-friendly sweater for my soon to be nephew, lol. I'm not that exciting :rolleyes:

At work (Chill, it's my job to stay awake and putz around.) planning a wet and wild trip to the aquarium for my son's 3rd bday tomorrow. Drinking more soda than I should and messing around on here. Big plans for tomorrow, with no sleep. But, looking forward to my kiddo's big day. :sleep::sleep:

Edit: Also, does anyone else besides me "rescue" the insects and spiders that find their way into your house/apartment? I always try to catch and release them outside, especially spiders. I've been told this is not normal behavior. :laugh:

Usually I leave the spiders in the house if they're not incredibly large-they keep all the other insects under control ;) Wolf spiders get a trip outside, however! Wasps get the business end of a fly swatter.

My night just got waaay more interesting. Some young guy decided to drive home via the canal after drinking tonight. He took out about 30 foot of gaurdrail, and isn't actually in the canal. Somehow his truck is just on the edge. I was convinced he had someone in the truck with him but apparently he was talking to himself. Another guy stopped and the kid shouted that he was getting his boat and to f*** off. So I stayed on this side of the street. The truck caught fire. :eek: but, seems to be out. Looks like he's off to the station and the tow truck is waiting. I can just imagine what the truck looks like... Yeesh! Don't booze and drive folks.

Up at 5:3-am for a 9 hour work day, then had to alternate studying for anatomy with multiple hands of go fish with kids too young to really understand go fish until they went to bed about 9pm. Then study until I got tired and passed out at 11

I know it's Saturday. But I'm getting completely hammered. Just took my MCAT. I need to be numb...

Went to a New Orleans style funeral procession in the streets, with three bands and tons of street food / beer. This lead to a series of bars and apartments, meeting fellow soon-to-be MS1's, salsa dancing, a 4am breakfast in a diner with the usual exhausted trannies and confused homeless population, getting propositioned no less than six times by some sketchy prostitutes at 6am, and finally ending up with 10,000 other people getting chased through the streets by imported roller-derby chicks armed with bats, in our local interpretation of Running with the Bulls. The circus here never ends.