Noob Game 2020 Sign-Ups [CLOSED] - All New WW Players Welcome!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

When would you like the game to start? Pick your top 2. Games typically last 1-2 weeks

• December 17

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • December 18

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • December 19

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • December 20

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Later than the above options

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters
I’m inured to this horrible mental image. Learning about sugaring prolapsed cloacas in wildlife med has already scarred me.
Moving here so I don't clog main thread

I sugared a kitten's butthole a couple months ago to pop it back in, worked like a charm and the purse string suture wasn't chewed out either

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Maybe dumb question - would honey work? It's still hyperosmolar, right? Just seems less...gritty
I don't think so, bc it's not about osmolarity but about it being hygroscopic. Honey's already hydrated, but sugar will pull the water out.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t even think I understand why you would sugar a kitten’s butthole

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Maybe dumb question - would honey work? It's still hyperosmolar, right? Just seems less...gritty
I flushed it off with saline before replacing it, it is pretty irritating
I don’t even think I understand why you would sugar a kitten’s butthole
When they get prolapsed rectums, they tend to get extremely edematous and nearly impossible to replace. When you put sugar on it it'll draw water out of it and make it easier to replace.

Reactions: 1 users
Forgive me if this is an ignorant question but is "ere" short for "where" in this post? Like is the bard talking about morphing to a rake or a broom or something? Hella for days

It means like “before.” Like “before we become (as thin as) rakes.”

And it’s not ignorant. A lot of words in Shakespeare’s English don’t quite mean what they seem like they should.
Moving this to the sign up thread because it's not game-relevant, but also, "rake" in this context probably means a person who is a disreputable waste of space.

Moving this to the sign up thread because it's not game-relevant, but also, "rake" in this context probably means a person who is a disreputable waste of space.

The speech is about how the nobles are fat and have plenty of food, but they are starving and the nobles won’t even bother to give them their excess. He’s saying let’s fight back with our pitchforks before we become skinny as rakes. Shakespeare often used multiple layers of meaning in his words.

The speech is about how the nobles are fat and have plenty of food, but they are starving and the nobles won’t even bother to give them their excess. He’s saying let’s fight back with our pitchforks before we become skinny as rakes. Shakespeare often used multiple layers of meaning in his words.
Ah ok. I didn't have the full context.

Reactions: 1 user
Also moving this here.

So, I used to have a walking desk at work -- it was AWESOME. They're expensive, and I'm not sure I'd like the bike version as much (sometimes you just want a real chair) but I would definitely recommend one for anyone who is worried about being sedentary.

There are also these cool little under-desk elliptical things that you can buy on Amazon for like $150 -- I have one now and it works great. It also can be used as a standalone thing while you're watching TV, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
My fiance brought home some New Holland Dragon's Milk Reserve that I'm dying to try once I'm out of the post-metronidazole period, ever had that?
I literally just had one. If you're as old as the hills like me, it'll hit you hard

It's actually not my favorite strong dark beer. I
like some local imperial stouts better.

Ugh I can't even handle these site updates anymore. That quote^ was supposed to be included in my last post but the screen freaks out when I do that
It puts random line breaks in too, and when you go to edit it's like it's not there...but shows up in the post. Can't figure that one out.

If anyone would like to see it used in the above definition, this song is about a rake who murders his whole family because it's not fun to have them anymore

Incidentally this is one of my favorite concept albums, although admittedly you do probably need to look up a couple words and give it a listen or two to really appreciate it. But Shara Nova's vocals as the Forest Queen backed by all the electric guitars are worth it

I am appropriately themed

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
I don't remember who brought up bartesians, but I finally finished my waffling between treadmill and bartesian and landed on treadmill. Supposedly I'm getting married next year (pending covid) and might want my dress to fit.

Bartesian on a registry might have some possibilities...

• Love
I don't remember who brought up bartesians, but I finally finished my waffling between treadmill and bartesian and landed on treadmill. Supposedly I'm getting married next year (pending covid) and might want my dress to fit.

Bartesian on a registry might have some possibilities...
It was me and you should definitely have it on your registry.

It is out of stock at my location, but I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing for me right now to be honest :rofl:

My treadmill shipped today!
Yay treadmill!
yeah if it was in stock you could use a 20% off coupon too!
Totally worth it

I've been making a list of all the drinks people have discussed in the last week since I learned that bread and I like the same kinds of beers, I have a lot of things to try in the next year.

• Haha
path. Specifically anatomic path.

I'm glad some people love it; I recognize & appreciate its importance... but it's my nightmare. Especially when a 3 week rotation is crammed into 9 days.
That sounds terrible.

I'm glad some people love it;
It me... I'm going into path (for people)
Sorry you're not enjoying it though - it's def a lot of smells and fluids to handle if it's not your jam

• Wow

I'm glad some people love it; I recognize & appreciate its importance... but it's my nightmare. Especially when a 3 week rotation is crammed into 9 days.
My path rotation was bottom three for me. Oh goodie, digging through dead animal guts followed by staring in microscopes for hours. This is definitely why I want to be a vet.

Reactions: 4 users

It me... I'm going into path (for people)
Sorry you're not enjoying it though - it's def a lot of smells and fluids to handle if it's not your jam

My path rotation was bottom three for me. Oh goodie, digging through dead animal guts followed by staring in microscopes for hours. This is definitely why I want to be a vet.

I had to do a weekend at the local (human) medical examiner. That was enough for me. My only other exposure to path was following intra surgery specimens for the in real time inspection on a couple surgeries while on surgery.

I cannot express enough how much I love that there are people who want to do that job and don't find it utterly, overwhelmingly depressing, but I legit was in a funk for my entire two week rotation, ha.

I prefer living animals that I can at least try and fix, thanks. :p

It was all too cavalier for me. But they seem to enjoy their job. Predictable hours, mostly business hours. No emergencies. Can break for coffee at will.
The sense of humor is a very particular, niche sort - and can definitely come across wrong to folks who are not used to it.
And yeah, the lifestyle is awesome
I cannot express enough how much I love that there are people who want to do that job and don't find it utterly, overwhelmingly depressing, but I legit was in a funk for my entire two week rotation, ha.

I prefer living animals that I can at least try and fix, thanks. :p
I feel that. I am 1000% grateful that other people are willing to spend their days looking at feet or eyeballs or rashes - or trying to talk that diabetic patient into not drinking soda for the umpteenth time - all of which would make me want to quit. We all find our niche

• Haha
my goal/dream job. I am the odd one who likes being elbow deep in guts and then putting it all under the scope
idk how much they pay you folks, but however much it is, it should probably be more.

I love having the answers; I just absolutely do not want to be the one who finds them.

It was all too cavalier for me. But they seem to enjoy their job. Predictable hours, mostly business hours. No emergencies. Can break for coffee at will.
Can break for coffee... except you smell like fermenting dog guts & can maybe never eat or drink anything again :grumpy:

• Wow
idk how much they pay you folks, but however much it is, it should probably be more.

I love having the answers; I just absolutely do not want to be the one who finds them.
Its not bad - 200-300k range - but would happily take more
And happy to do all the detective work, so long as I don't have to titrate anybody's meds or ever worry about accidentally killing somebody

Honestly I'm just really proud of myself that I didn't eat lunch today and therefore didn't puke it up into my facemask.
I strongly recommend eating a really big breakfast - helps prevent the nausea and then hopefully you can make it through until (post-shower) dinner

• Love
Path :biglove:

I am really glad not everyone wants to do the same stuff (even though I don't understand why every person doesn't want to be a zoo vet** ) because that would be lame. I am glad I enjoy path so much though, since it's been a decent part of my research and you kind of have to be chill with it in the zoo world.

**JK i know it's because you do extra training just to make less money

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I really enjoy path, and I LOVE the path department at school. So chill, always down for a laugh or joke, very nice.

I like the clinical puzzle side of things and enjoy the communication so I think I would miss the clinical aspect. Having a live, changing patient in front of you that you need to adjust dynamically for is what I like best.

I have had zero interest in wildlife/exotic my entire life. I just don’t care for it, and the idea of how much extra training you need to do to get confident in one of 1000 species seems like a waste of time when I could spend it getting really good in a category of things I will see frequently.