Noob questions about # of working hours of Pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tyler Derden

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have done search and read much of the FAQ but something that I haven't gotten a good handle on is the amount of work hours you spend in some of the various Pharm roles, (Military, Retail, Nuclear, Hospital, etc.). It seems from the Pfizer Career Guide to Pharmacy that working hours range from a low of 40/week to what is typical in my current role (Engineer) 50-65+ hrs, to some that just work all the time.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=170102&highlight=working+hours

Do the positions other than retail pay hourly wages, or salary (i.e. you get paid the same whether you work 30 hours or 90 hours like most jobs in Industry)? I have read several posts about wages that talk in terms of hourly rates, but it just seems to be to good to be true to make 100K working 40 hours/week. Is this only for retail? Is part-time an option at all?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Tyler Derden said:
I have done search and read much of the FAQ but something that I haven't gotten a good handle on is the amount of work hours you spend in some of the various Pharm roles, (Military, Retail, Nuclear, Hospital, etc.). It seems from the Pfizer Career Guide to Pharmacy that working hours range from a low of 40/week to what is typical in my current role (Engineer) 50-65+ hrs, to some that just work all the time.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=170102&highlight=working+hours

Do the positions other than retail pay hourly wages, or salary (i.e. you get paid the same whether you work 30 hours or 90 hours like most jobs in Industry)? I have read several posts about wages that talk in terms of hourly rates, but it just seems to be to good to be true to make 100K working 40 hours/week. Is this only for retail? Is part-time an option at all?

Thanks in advance!

From what I've seen, it's pretty much up to you. The OT is available if you want it, but you also don't have to work more than 40 if that's what you want as well.
Most staff positions are hourly (in fact, isn't it a law that we must be hourly in certain states?), as are most management positions. I have seen some management that are still salary, but they rarely work more than 40/week.

100k/40 hours/week is not just retail. Depends on your locale and such but it is definitely a reality.

Part time is always an option. There are always pharmacies looking for fill in work, vacation relief, etc., etc.

GravyRPH said:
From what I've seen, it's pretty much up to you. The OT is available if you want it, but you also don't have to work more than 40 if that's what you want as well.
Most staff positions are hourly (in fact, isn't it a law that we must be hourly in certain states?), as are most management positions. I have seen some management that are still salary, but they rarely work more than 40/week.

100k/40 hours/week is not just retail. Depends on your locale and such but it is definitely a reality.

Part time is always an option. There are always pharmacies looking for fill in work, vacation relief, etc., etc.

Wow so even in clinical roles you get paid by the hour??? That just sounds too good to be true to someone from an "Office Space" job where weekends and 12 hours days are the norm for the same salary... I don't mind putting in the time, but a direct correlation between pay and work just sounds too good to be true.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tyler Derden said:
Wow so even in clinical roles you get paid by the hour??? That just sounds too good to be true to someone from an "Office Space" job where weekends and 12 hours days are the norm for the same salary... I don't mind putting in the time, but a direct correlation between pay and work just sounds too good to be true.

I guess it's probably different in different parts of the country, but I have only seen pharmacists paid hourly. I am a clinical staff pharmacist and am paid by the hour.

When I first started about 7 or so years ago as a retail pharmacist, I was salaried, but everyone was switched over due to some legal issues with overtime and not getting paid. I also received a check for some sort of class action lawsuit brought against my employer due to lack of OT pay. *shrug*

letjin said:
At my WAG (in IL) the pharmacists are salaried and they work 40hr/wk. We also have a part time pharmacist that work 2 days/wk (16 hr/wk).
I also know a pharmacist who was able to work part time from 8:30-2:30 M~F (not at WAG), which is really nice if you have kids that go to school.

That is the norm at WAGS. In your regular job you are salaried at what they call A scale. Thirty minutes or an hour over is unlikely to be paid. If you cover a shift, however, you will be paid at B scale rates (overtime), otherwise nobody would work it and they couldn't force you to do it cause they sure aren't gonna give you comp time.

When I worked for HCA/Colombia back in the eighties pharmacists were classified as "hourly exempt" What this ment was no overtime.If you worked
fifty hours you got fifty hours straight time. This was fine for me. An hour is an hour. It was a fair arrangement.

Wow I have trouble believing that! Those of you that have worked in a more corporate environment know what a big plus that is (to get paid for your time). Thanks for the info!

Tyler Derden said:
Wow I have trouble believing that! Those of you that have worked in a more corporate environment know what a big plus that is (to get paid for your time). Thanks for the info!

Before I had kids I felt the same way. Now that I do, I feel I should get payed at *least* double time for any hours over my 40. :D I'm not sure my employer would agree though.

Tyler Derden said:

You can do 40hr week in a clinical position. I mean you would have to be conscious about leaving at a certain time to make sure you are there 8hrs. But it's for sure doable.