Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

NORML

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by supawolo, Jan 13, 2002.

1. supawolo

supawolo New Member

recently, 3 friends of mine and I started a local chapter of NORML at our university which is a national organization for the reformation of marijauna laws. since this is a completely legit and even respected organization, i was wondering if med schools would look down on this if i put it on my app. we put a LOT of time into this club and i even got to meet carl sagan's daughter through this. we have research committees set up and are even in contact with the higher members who run this organization at the national level. so any comments? thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. megkudos

megkudos Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If you are professional about how you present the info and talk about it you should definately include it. I would assume there are plenty of doctors out there who aggree with you. There are always gonna be people who are more conservative about issues but there are also plenty of people who are not. I say go for it, especially since you have put so much time into it. Just make sure you can back up your points. Good luck.

3. mongoose

mongoose Membership Revoked
    Removed

I don't think I would include it. I'm sure it could possibly help in some situations, but it will DEFINITELY hurt in some situations. Our university has one of those chapters and I went to one of the meetings, but I was hesitant to even give my name and contact info. I would really hate for something like that to keep me from my dreams. And don't think that ad.comms. don't have the preconceived notions generally associated with those who join such clubs. It is an ugly part of our society that makes it necessary to not give such information out freely. Hopefully, with the help of you and others like you, one day that won't be necessary. But, the good fight will be better fought when you are an MD and can make more of a difference and have more influence. Bottom line: If you put this in your application, it COULD keep you from your dreams. Would that be worth it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. reesie0726

reesie0726 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with mongoose. Why take the chance to hurt your application? The reality is that not everybody is open-minded and able to accept ideas that they do not like. You don't know who might be like that on the adcoms, so don't chance it.

6. supawolo

supawolo New Member

well see...my reasoning behind this is if i have the grades to back it up (3.8), high MCATs, research experience with a well known neuroscience professor, hospital volunteer, on wednesday i even get to attend a 4 hour surgery when they implant an electrical stimulator into this guy's brain to help with Parkinsons plus some other stuff and to all this i add a strong position on NORML (something adcoms prolly rarely if ever see)...would not this make me stand out as something completely different from everyone else. i think it would definitely raise interest. anyhow...at the interview i could say the positive as well as the negative aspects of legalizing marijuana (this is only an organization to reform, not necessarily make it legal everywhere, anywhere).

any thoughts on this?

7. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you want to be safe, do not put it down - regardless of your grades and GPA. Unfortunately possession and smoking of marijuana is still a federal offense. There may be some physicians who appreciate your standing up for a worthwhile cause, but do remember that many adcoms are older and may not be too fond of an applicant who headed a chapter of an organization trying to legalize an illegal substance. It may sound nice if you're sub 30 years old, but the people looking over your files and interviewing you are much older professionals.

Plus, if they ask you, 'So I see here you head your local chapter of NORML. So, do you smoke marijuana?'. You could answer in the negative (even if it's so), but they'd have a hard time believing it. I just think you're taking your chances with such a controversial subject. I don't think any medical school would want a pot smoker as part of their entering class. You don't want to give them any reason to reject you.

and people, definitely is not spelled with an 'a'!

Andrew

8. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

I think it is fine to mention it. Infact, I think you should consider taping a 'fat one' to each of your secondaries...

hey, just kidding ;)

9. mongoose

mongoose Membership Revoked
    Removed

10. megkudos

megkudos Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

supawolo,
    Your points make sense to me. Honestly I don't really see the problem with including it.
    Just my opinion.

11. alice

alice Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i'm with the majority on this one. i think that there's no point in mentioning it ESPECIALLY if you have all those other strong factors going for you. maybe reserve it to bring up in an interview if they ever ask if you've held a leadership position, or if they ask about controversial medical issues. i really wouldn't risk it. there is a chance that one adcom will think 'gee, how cool that he'll stand up for something he believes in and think through a complex issue', but much of medicine is making people with very different feelings on issues feel good. you don't want to start out being controversial. it's the same reason they say not to talk about your feelings on abortion, euthanasia, etc. in your application. why take an unnecessary risk. my advice might be different if you didn't have other distinguishing factors on your app. just my two cents.