North American applying to UK School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaylily

gilraen : wandering star
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm kinda in a rush here. There may be a thread about this already, and if so, I appologize. I know that applying to med schools in the US and Canada are pretty similar, but I've been thinking about applying in the UK as well. Does anyone know how this works? (how the grades translate, etc.)
I have both a bachelor's and masters degree, and I'm a citizen of the UK (but have lived in Canada all my life), so I don't need to apply as an international student. Do they look at your MCAT scores? Do they even require it.

If you have any info or tips, they'd be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

There are loads of threads on this already...

You will be regarded as an international student because you will not have spent at least 3 years in full time residence in the UK before starting medical school.

There are fixed quotas for international students in each of the medical schools and the competition for these places is intense...

Damn, and here I thought I could slip by the international student status. Thanks Trinners.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the exact same position you are in. I am a UK citizen who has lived in the US for a while and I would have to wait 3 years also. As Ive already mentioned in another thread, I am not going to take this option as I find is disgusting that I am not treated as a native in my own country.

That is pretty bad. I can understand it in my situation because I'm a British citizen by descent only. Unfortunately I have yet to set foot on British soil, but seeing as how you were born and raised there, you'd think you wouldn't have to go through all those hoops. Damn bureaucracy.

The reasons I find it ridiculous is because when we left England, my parents had an absolute fortune available to them for retirement which they gave up. I dont understand exactly how it worked, but because they owned their own business and employed a lot of people they paid a great deal of taxes. Also, because I am a British citizen, I am classified as an international student in the USA and whereever else I go. It was not my choice to come to America, and I wish my parets would have left me in England. Of course if I train to be a doctor in England I would stay there. Anyway that is why I find it appalling.

Also medical school isnt free for anyone in England. There are bursaries, and you can take out loans. But it isnt free.

Yes I was 15 when I was dragged away from all my friends to go to the US. I was going to sit my GCSE's in 5 months when we left, so you can understand how upset I was. I am eager to learn of the slight glimmer of hope you mention, because otherwise its off to Deutschland I go (assuming I can learn German well enough).

Waiting4Ganong said:
If you intend to return to the US once getting your medical degree however - then I won't help you - the NHS really needs more doctors.

I might accept that the NHS needs more doctors, but if one looks at the competition for junior posts (see http://www.bmjcareers.com/juniorcomp/ )
this is not at all apparent. There are almost literally a ton of applicants for every job.

I wonder if you'd like to offer an explanation.

Miklos

Miklos said:
I might accept that the NHS needs more doctors, but if one looks at the competition for junior posts (see http://www.bmjcareers.com/juniorcomp/ )
this is not at all apparent. There are almost literally a ton of applicants for every job.

I wonder if you'd like to offer an explanation.

Miklos

Wow! Had no idea it's that bad for residents in the UK! And at the same time, the NHS is going all over the world to attract consultants.... Well, just goes to show that government healthcare planning is generally a joke - and an unfunny one at that.

Waiting4Ganong said:
It IS free. I'm at a UK medical school. As a graduate you don't even have to pay the tiny 1K/year tuition contribution (less than 2% of actual cost of educating you at some schools) and they even give you a bursary (= Scholarship) to help with living expenses (I get almost 5K a year from that alone).

My criticism of those trying to reclaim their UK heritage when it comes time to get into university was a general gripe and certainly wasn't aimed at you personally as I, of course, know nothing of your situation. After hearing a bit more about your situation it sounds like you may have left the UK before you turned 18. If so - then let me know - there may be a glimmer of hope if you are serious about coming back (and staying back). If you intend to return to the US once getting your medical degree however - then I won't help you - the NHS really needs more doctors.

W4G.

(edited:spelling)

For graduate 4 yr courses, after the first year there are no fees and you get a bursary. However you do have to pay fees for the first year, and the bursary you get does not cover the full cost of living as a medical student.

Waiting4Ganong said:
And back on the topic of this thread - I'd welcome any UK eligible medics back to UK to train and practice. Salary as a consultant (attending) is at or above the level of most primary care doctors in the US, salary in residency is double what it is in the US while working half the hours.

I think that you are overstating your case.

At direct exchange rates, perhaps. (e.g. consultant's yearly salary of 80,000 pounds @ today's exchange rate of 1.885/US$ = $150,800)

However, I am convinced that there are other factors to consider from a strictly financial point of view.

True, the UK post-graduate trainee will work fewer hours. However, in order to become a consultant, it will take significantly longer. Further, due to a relatively higher cost of living and higher taxes in Britain, IMO, most places in the U.S. will have a clear advantage.

Miklos

Waiting4Ganong said:
Miklos - The huge numbers of applications for each job just reflects the chaos of the postgrad career structure in the UK. We really need a postgraduate match (ironic, considering many in the US want to get rid of their system and go to one like ours of applying directly) and discussions are happening to determine how this could be integrated with the new, developing, training grade structure in the UK. I have to say the unemployment rate for UK educated doctors in the UK is very low - I've never heard of an SHO not getting a job - but, in the absence of a proper matching system (plus the fact jobs are often only 6mos long) it just requires a mailshot of CVs to get one sorted. The situation for non UK educated doctors is different - many do find it hard to get work in a proper training (rather than service only) job. You can speculate on the reasons but discrimination against foreign education and qualifications (different = worse) surely places at least a part - just like it does for FMGs in the US.

Interesting. Thanks for the reply.