North Carolina Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ErGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would anyone who rotated at or is currently a resident at a North Carolina em residency like to share their thoughts?? I am sure this has been a thread before but since it changes I'd like the latest info.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't quite have time right now, but i'll come back later today or tomorrow and give a review of Wake's program Ergirl.

congrats btw!

I am a PGY-2 at ECU in Greenville, PM me if you have any specific questions

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I just re-read your post. I'm just a lowly medical student here so I want post on this. :( But feel free to PM me if you want my take.

Med

I have a review of Wake at Scutwork. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Hey there, I an ms3 and considering doing a rotation at ECU. I was wondering what you like about the program in comparison to some of the others in North Carolina? I am also a DO student and was wondering if there are any DO's in your program.
Thanks

DRSTEPHI27 said:
Hey there, I an ms3 and considering doing a rotation at ECU. I was wondering what you like about the program in comparison to some of the others in North Carolina? I am also a DO student and was wondering if there are any DO's in your program.
Thanks

Well, I can't compare ECU to the other programs in NC because I haven't ever worked at any of them. But we are DO friendly, we have 1-2 in each class usually. My class was an exception. As always, PM if you have any specific questions.

I'm an MS4 at UNC and am willing to answer UNC-related questions by PM....

Any thoughts/comments about UNC, Carolinas, or Wake Forest? I hear Carolinas is very strong, but have not heard much about the other two. Geographically, they seem like nice areas to live...

thanks!

-emfosho

This thread is a heck of a blast from the past!

I'm currently at Carolinas and I know the UNC program very well because I attended medical school there, so I'm more than happy to answer any questions about them. I also interviewed at the other 3 NC programs, but don't have near the first-hand knowledge that I do about the first two.

There are also alot of other Carolinas folks on this board that I'm sure would be willing to answer any questions you have as well.

Thanks Hawk!

Here are some questions:
1) what made you choose carolinas over UNC?
2) how would you compare the strength of the residents at the two programs?
3) Which program is more "lifestyle friendly" (i've head carolinas has an insane amount of shifts, but am not sure)
4) any other southern programs (vandy, emory, utsw, uva) compare favorably with unc and carolinas in your opinion?
5) also, how are the jobs opps for residents from your program - are they recruited all over the place and are they getting good offers?

thanks for your info! im sure many of find it useful!

-emfosho

Emfosho

Those are all really individualized questions that I can answer, but take everything with a grain of salt because my answers will be different from others here.

1. I picked Carolinas because it is an unbelievable program with strong clinical training, great residents/attendings, and opportunities to do just about anything I want to eventually do (lots of fellowships, tons of research opportunities, prehospital work, leadership opportunities, etc). We also have family here in Charlotte, which was an important factor in the end too. I love UNC's program as well (also great training, great residents, lots of cool attendings and a great PD, tons of time at Wake Med, etc), but I spent 11 years in Chapel Hill and it was just time to get out and go to a new place and new city. I've got nothing but good things to say about their program in general.

2. The residents are actually pretty similar at both programs and I like both groups alot. There are more of us here in Charlotte and we're about to expand to add 3 more residents per class for the match starting the year (up from 11 to 14).

3. "Lifestyle friendly" is a relative term. Residency is hard no matter where you go, but both places are supportive and very family oriented. I think we probably work a few more shifts a month as 2nd and 3rd years and probably have a few more off service months than UNC, but I'd have to talk to my friends at UNC to see their current rotation schedules (as I'm sure you know, these do change and shift over time). Other differences is that we only train at one site and have conference every day, whereas UNC trains at two very different sites and has conference once a week (that may sound trivial, but it really shapes the culture of both places).

4. Not sure if either place compares to anywhere in the southeast. Every program has their own flavor and you'll see that when you interview. In the southeast, my other favorite programs were Vandy and Wake (my other favorites outside the region were Indy, Pitt, and Cincy).

5. Residents here at Carolinas seem to get great job offers and generally go to their region of choice. I'm not a third year, so I dont' have many specifics...but that's just my general sense hearing people talk.

Hope that helps!

hey hawk,

thanks for the info! do you know if carolinas has sent out interview invites yet?

I'm a PGY2 at Chapel Hill. Great PD/assistant PD's, fun fellow residents. We work at UNC, typical university setting with mult med problem patients, as well as WakeMed in Raleigh which gives you more of a community exposure with large volumes. You are one one with an attending while at WakeMed, lots of procedures, intubations, trauma

12 hour shifts as PGY1, offservice to CCU, medicine, OB, peds/us/skills month,surgery. The first month is spent in orienation with a kick ass airway course, pig lab, getting to know your classmates.

10 hour shifts as PGY2, off service to PICU, Burn ICU, SICU, ortho, Trauma. You run your side of the ED on the "B" half including traumas, intubations, etc

8's and 12's as PGY 3. Elective, U/S

If you have any questions, PM me!

hey hawk,

thanks for the info! do you know if carolinas has sent out interview invites yet?

I don't think we've sent out interview invitations yet and our PD and assistant PD just started reading applications on November 1st. Historically, Carolinas is one of the last places to send out invites....so hang tight.

Another Carolinas PGY2 here (Radiohead is around as well, Seaglass is a fellow/attending, and some other lurkers (the PD's do come here now and then)).

Hawk is right, interviews are almost always one of the last to go out. From our PD, around 120-140 interviews this year for 14 spots (up from 11 last year). Diversity is stressed in addition to the standard. We really like to get to know you, so the pre-interview dinner is important, make it if you can and speak up :D

We work a lot, but it's residency and that is what we do :) I did med school at Cincy so there are comparisons as well, but both are AMAZING programs. Others in the southeast that I really liked are the same as Hawk's (Vandy, Wake). I don't have family near (I'm from Utah), so I came strictly for the program, which IMHO, is an outstanding group, hospital, and class to be a part of.

If you have any other specific q's let us know and one of us will post :)

thanks for the input on carolinas! i keep hearing that at carolinas people "work very hard" - im not quite sure what this means in comparison to other EM residencies. is it just more shifts/more hours/more hectic schedule?

i'd like to hear your thoughts on how it compares to UNC and wake as far schedules go. also, as far as you know, how is the job market for carolinas grads?

thanks again (on behalf of all the readers)!!!

I'm pretty sure you're going to work hard where ever you go. Also I graduated from Wake in June so if you have any particular questions about Wake I would be happy to answer. I love that program and am very happy I went there.

i keep hearing that at carolinas people "work very hard" - im not quite sure what this means in comparison to other EM residencies. is it just more shifts/more hours/more hectic schedule

I'm not sure on this. We work hard, but everyone does in residency. We do have a high volume and it gets larger every year (Charlotte grows by 80,000/year for the last few years). I think that we are now seeing around 120k-130k, with 11 res/year.

We do around 19-22 shifts/mo which are 12h as an intern, 10-12h as a second year, and 8-12h as a senior (+/-). Its tiered so that you work a little less each year (give or take).

I honestly doubt that we work appreciably more than others, but we do work hard and expect everyone to work hard as well. This is the same at most any "top tier" program, regardless of where.

Job market for our grads is basically pick where you want to go, and go there (give or take). I think that this is the same for almost any BC/BE EM grad. In other words, not a problem.