Northeastern University or Massachusetts College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scanlon.j

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have been accepted into both Northeastern University and Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and allied health sciences for the same year (first professional year of pharmD program, and I am trying to decide which school is a better choice. Does anybody have any input?

Members don't see this ad.

Just get the heck out of MCP...it's a big turn-off for me personally ...

Members don't see this ad :)
hey Scanlon,

thanks for the reply, if you dont mind my asking when did you hear from boston about getting accepted? I also applied and I have not heard anything.

Thanks

i'm not allowed to comment on mcp since i go there.. ;) but northeastern is run in a co-op style... it seems as if that would be really helpful since you work and learn at the same time... where else did you apply/get accepted to?

I would choose northeastern because of the co-op education.

i go to mcp also and i hate it. go to northeastern. the co-op is better and you get paid for it. here at mcp they try to squeeze every last cent out of you and the quality of education isn't that great.

The co-op at northeastern is like being a pharmacy technician. I have work with a couple of northeastern students and all you are when you do your coop is a pharmacy technician, you just have that time off from school that is all. People are very negative about mcp, I go there and i love it. It is really up to the individual. Northeastern is 35k, they also try to get all the money out of you, there is no difference, and all boston schools are expensive.

Nice to hear that someone has had a good experience at MCP because all I've heard from most people in the forum is that they have had bad experiences and are very dissatisfied with the school. I was really wondering if anyone was happy at MCP. I guess like at any school it is what you make of it. Maybe you can post something about your good experiences so that people interested in the school can get both sides to the story?

i will be happy to answer any questions about mcp honestly.

mcp's main problem is that it is completely dis-organized and there isn't any room for the students. the classrooms are too small and the library is a joke. there is hardly any room to study. most mcp students study in other schools' libraries. this year they opened a new addition to the school which was supposed to give the sudents more room to study and do work, and it would have, had mcp not accepted so many new students. now i think the situation is worse then it had been in past years.

also mcp dosen't have a good rep. northeastern is a better name, at least in new england. many preceptor do not give mcp students respect like they do northeastern students. i've heard this from many of my classmates and instructors.

Do your comments apply to MCP in general (Boston and Worcester campuses) or specifically to the MCP Boston?

TotalKayOs said:
i will be happy to answer any questions about mcp honestly.

mcp's main problem is that it is completely dis-organized and there isn't any room for the students. the classrooms are too small and the library is a joke. there is hardly any room to study. most mcp students study in other schools' libraries. this year they opened a new addition to the school which was supposed to give the sudents more room to study and do work, and it would have, had mcp not accepted so many new students. now i think the situation is worse then it had been in past years.

also mcp dosen't have a good rep. northeastern is a better name, at least in new england. many preceptor do not give mcp students respect like they do northeastern students. i've heard this from many of my classmates and instructors.
you know, at first I thought you were some disgruntled student....now I believe you. We now have two professors that have started teaching at my school as of August that have similar thoughts about MCP. Makes me wonder......

nope, i am not just a dis-gruntled student. i am just mad at myself for not researching it more before making my choice. now i'm trying to help others to not make my mistake. for some people mcp might be a good choice. for me it wasn't. i can see how you would think that i was just dis-gruntled from my earlier posts, re-reading them they were a bit caustic and not very well written.

the best advice i can give to anyone looking at mcp, or any other school for that matter, is research it. ask students that go there, and not just the student guides that take you around, of course they are going to tell you the school is great. ask random kids in the hall in cafeteria. and ask a lot of different people. are the lecture hall comfortable? are the professors good and accessible? what is the rate of naplex passing for your state by their students? is there room to study? is their internet and email reliable?

I am taking the chance and applying to MCP-Boston because of school restrictions. However, i would be considered a transfer student because i already have my Bachelors. Are there a lot of older or....non-6 year program students at MCP-Boston? The office of admissions did not help me much.

yeah, at first i thought i was old when i started my 3rd year as transfer, b/c i also had a BS when i started here, but it turns out now that most people i know in my class, now 5th year are close in age to me. most are between 24 and 30.