Northwell LIJ/Zucker Hillside vs Staten Island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BookWorm2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, did anybody interview at both of these programs? How do they compare? Do residents overlap between sites at all? Thank you for you help!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it's even fair to compare these two. LIJ may fly under the radar, but it's a top notch program. SIUH is a good community program but certainly not up to par with LIJ in terms of volume, exposure, PD, faculty, or even location for that matter. There is hardly any overlap. From what I remember SIUH will have you travel to LIJ for C&A and I think you can land some elective time but other than that, they are very separate and distinct programs.

That said, SIUH may end up being a better fit for some especially those looking for a smaller program. It will also be considerably less competitive since LIJ appears to no longer be the well-kept secret it's been over the year. I would go see both yourself and get a feel for the programs. That feel factor holds the most weight IMO.

Btw is this in reference to next year's match or this?

I don't think it's even fair to compare these two. LIJ may fly under the radar, but it's a top notch program. SIUH is a good community program but certainly not up to par with LIJ in terms of volume, exposure, PD, faculty, or even location for that matter. There is hardly any overlap. From what I remember SIUH will have you travel to LIJ for C&A and I think you can land some elective time but other than that, they are very separate and distinct programs.

That said, SIUH may end up being a better fit for some especially those looking for a smaller program. It will also be considerably less competitive since LIJ appears to no longer be the well-kept secret it's been over the year. I would go see both yourself and get a feel for the programs. That feel factor holds the most weight IMO.

Btw is this in reference to next year's match or this?

With a Step 1 average of 216 I can't imagine LIJ is THAT competitive. Though, it does appear that they're actively excluding DO's and IMG's. Conclusion: they're probably non-competitive for US MD's but likely very "competitive" for (read: biased against) everyone else.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
With a Step 1 average of 216 I can't imagine LIJ is THAT competitive. Though, it does appear that they're actively excluding DO's and IMG's. Conclusion: they're probably non-competitive for US MD's but likely very "competitive" for (read: biased against) everyone else.
Agreed

Also having this dilemma. Thanks for posting this and the responses so far! Good luck!

I know at least three US MDs who are ranking LIJ first. I also constantly heard good things about the program there while interviewing. Maybe it's not super competitive at the Columbia, Cornell, Harvard level but there seem to be a lot of people wanting to go there.