Northwestern - distinguishable characteristics essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wood41

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Describe the top 3 distinguishable characteristics (non-academic) you possess and tell us how you think these characteristics will enhance your success as a FSM medical student and future physician. (400 words)

Now are they asking for answers like... i am patient, caring, etc etc... or do they want something really distinguishable, as in, i own a farm and take care of 100s of animals which has taught me balh blah etc etc.??

Members don't see this ad.

I think the first idea you had is what they're looking for, but I wouldn't do anything connected to caring, patient, etc. Find something unique about you that will leave an impression.

no, they are asking about your tatoos and piercings which distinguish you from applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. Caring, kindness, etc.. are cliche characteristics. Choose some unique qualities (hint: thesaurus.com)

oh yeah i wont use those adjectives per se... i was just wondering if by characteristics, they meant those general adj's you would use to describe doctors.

btw, would altruistic be too general?

brilliant, awe-inspiring, resplendent

no, they are asking about your tatoos and piercings which distinguish you from applicants.
What about the birthmark on my ass that sort of looks like Elvis singing into a microphone?

Since they want non-academic characterisitics, would something like 'love of learning' be ok to write about? Or would it be considered academic? And by 'love of learning' I mean pursuing learning opportunities outside of classes and textbooks vs. like 'I have a special bond with my organic chemistry book'.

I would say you need to be a bit more distinguishable than that. Has anyone read the other threads on NW? They are actually very welcoming to non-trad and study abroad scholars. What this means to me is that they want people with diverse backgrounds and consequently distinct characteristics. In this manner, I would say the OP's second suggestion is stronger, but in the sense that you should apply it to personal characteristics.

I would say you need to be a bit more distinguishable than that. Has anyone read the other threads on NW? They are actually very welcoming to non-trad and study abroad scholars. What this means to me is that they want people with diverse backgrounds and consequently distinct characteristics. In this manner, I would say the OP's second suggestion is stronger, but in the sense that you should apply it to personal characteristics.

What do you mean by the OP's second suggestion??

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I have a good essay for this one, but it's 470 words (400 is the suggested limit)... too long? My second one is only 300 words (400 suggested max), so hopefully the reader won't think I've written too much. Any thoughts?

do they not count the words? or do they just eyeball it?

they count words. you cannot submit an essay longer than 400/300 words.

what exactly do they mean by "non-academic" characteristics? some examples?

one characteristic i want to write about isn't academic, but would it be okay if the supporting example i used is school related? or should i try to find another example?

tia!

what exactly do they mean by "non-academic" characteristics? some examples?

one characteristic i want to write about isn't academic, but would it be okay if the supporting example i used is school related? or should i try to find another example?

tia!

They probably don't want things like "I'm really smart! Look at my 3.9 GPA!" or "I study a lot."

i don't think the characteristics have to be 100% unqiue, i think it's the way you carry them has to be unique

I had this question when I applied and I believe th admissions committee is looking for someone who can identify a few distinguishable characteristics and back them up with examples from their lives. General concepts like leadership, maturity, patient caring, persistence, team player are all fine but if your descriptions about those are amorphous and non-specific, it won't read as well.

So pick a few of those, and provide realistic examples of them.

What I meant by the original OP's suggestions is I'd say the farm thing was would be more significant than me trying to defend I'm caring. From what I've heard about NW, it's the experience and the qualities that derive from those experiences is better than "physician" characteristics per se. They're so numerous and broad and easy to defend in your AMCAS that you won't be what NW wants. That's all I meant. By all means, cookie cutter yourself. :p I've never heard a school boast about their non-trads before, if that's so experience counts for A LOT at this school.

You could spin the farm thing to defend a caring attribute. I believe that either by itself is irrelevant.

I agree with thegenius. There's no way you can list a distinguishable characteristic that is distinguishable amongst all applicants. Unique experiences might also be hard to come by. I think distinguishable in this case means something that can be seen in you.

To the OP, I think you will be fine as long as you back up qualities with concrete examples. So, call yourself caring and patient. Then, talk about the farm and how that makes you caring and patient.

would it be OK to use a "moral and ethical dilemma" essay in place of the "personal challenge" question?

would it be OK to use a "moral and ethical dilemma" essay in place of the "personal challenge" question?

I am not sure...I am wondering the same thing. I guess it just has to do with how you framed it...and I think it works better if it's a dilemma you experienced over a longer term, not just in one quick moment, because then one could see how it would take a personal toll on you....

but how are you supposed to write about 3 characteristics with experiences and anecdotes in 400 words . i wrote a draft and i feel like it has just 1 line of experience per characteristic and the rest is just me explaining it.

1 characteristic with 400 words would make more sense (like last year's)

but how are you supposed to write about 3 characteristics with experiences and anecdotes in 400 words . i wrote a draft and i feel like it has just 1 line of experience per characteristic and the rest is just me explaining it.

1 characteristic with 400 words would make more sense (like last year's)

That is the challenge before you. Do you think it would be difficult for Bob Woodward to write about his passion for journalism? Or Tiger Wood's drive to be the best golfer of all time? If you feel very strong about your characteristics, then you should be able to write about them.

Do'nt worry at first about 400 words. I usually just let my mind drift off when writing about something, typing down everything that I think of. Then when I have a lot of thoughts down on paper, I trim the essay.