northwestern essay idea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ABSOLUTsher07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Call me silly but it actually seems like the folks at Northwestern are interested in getting to know their applicants beyond "what can you contribute to our school." One of their essays asks for a personal out of classroom experience that has led to your personal development.

I'm thinking about writing an essay on how I got a puppy the year before college and trained it myself. I know, I know, some of you will inevitably shoot down my idea as being stupid, for those of you who will actually listen.... I am a really impatient person by nature, and it was really hard for me to train this little puppy to sit and lay down and not go to the bathroom inside of the house. My essay would be structured on how my experience with her helped me become a more patient and understanding person. What do you guys think? total bull****?

Members don't see this ad.

No, I think it is an excellent idea and is exactly what they are looking for. Your essay will be much more interesting than 97% of the other essays they receive.

Um, I'm looking at Northwestern's secondary, and their three essays are:

1. Distinguishing characteristics
2. Personal adversity
3. What have you done since graduation/Have you studied abroad

Where's the puppy come in?

Members don't see this ad :)
notdeadyet said:
Um, I'm looking at Northwestern's secondary, and their three essays are:

1. Distinguishing characteristics
2. Personal adversity
3. What have you done since graduation/Have you studied abroad

Where's the puppy come in?

it falls into #3, choice c (the one you listed is choice a)

yea in the last essay, one of the options is to write about a personal experience that has led to your development. this is where the puppy training comes in.

ABSOLUTsher07 said:
yea in the last essay, one of the options is to write about a personal experience that has led to your development. this is where the puppy training comes in.
Ah, sorry about that. I fixated on education abroad and totally forgot about the personal experience option.

ABSOLUTsher07 said:
What do you guys think? total bull****?
One thought here, and please don't take this the wrong way:

But some adcoms are going to have preconceived notions and petty prejudices. It's not right, but it's there. And applicants will have to make sure that their applications get beyond that.

You might keep in mind that your file may cross the desk of older, sexist adcoms. I'd be careful to make sure that your application does not create a snap judgement in this adcom's mind of a sorority sister writing her defining moment about a puppy.

You understand? I don't hold this opinion, but you might want to keep it in mind.

Besides on my AMCAS, I'm not mentioning my sorority involvement anywhere else in my application... and I'm not really seeing the connection to my puppy raising idea.