Northwestern Feinberg School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

childpsych479

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Feinberg School of Medicine at Northwestern wants 4 separate essays. I'm quite confused on how to approach it. The first is a page on clinical experiences, the second a page on research experienes, and then a personal statement. This seems slightly redundant based on how I've constructed my personal statement since my research and clinical experiences have shaped my desire to pursue a PhD in clinical psychology and my research interests. My question is should the essays merely be a deconstructed version of my personal statement or should I draft a new personal statement? I would appreciate any feedback especially from those applying to this program or who already have.

Thanks for your help!

Here are the essays:
Please upload these essays via the Writing Sample section of the online application. Number your responses to correspond with the questions. Limit your responses to the first two questions to a maximum of one page each.

1. Clinical experience
Please describe your clinically relevant experiences, including, for instance, time spent as a mental health worker, occupational therapist, paramedic, hot-line drug counselor, volunteer or student in a mental health setting. Indicate how much time was involved and whether or not you were paid. Describe the nature and frequency of the supervision you received.

2. Research experience
Describe your research experience, indicating the following: 1) settings in which it occurred, 2) the population studied, 3) your responsibilities (e.g., observation, coding, design and planning, instrument development, data analysis, preparation of reports), 4) length of time involved in each research project, 5) nature and frequency of supervision, and 6) description of presentations or publications which may have resulted from the research. You are encouraged to submit abstracts or reprints (no more than a total of five pages).

3. The personal statement
Applicants are required to write a personal statement, no more than five pages in length. Tell us about the significant life experiences and people that have shaped your career choice, the impact of your clinical experiences thus far, your special interests, and your personal goals as a clinical psychologist -- as a practitioner, and scholar. In addition, feel free to tell us anything that you want us to know about you (e.g. leisure time pursuits, hobbies, travel).

4. Ways of thinking about human experiences
Ours is a program for developing clinical researchers. We try to understand thoroughly both normal and pathological experience. How would you as a clinical researcher approach this enterprise? What modes of thinking about human behavior are most compatible with your own style? Least compatible? Why? We are interested in learning about the factors that have been most influential in molding your thinking, and stimulating the choice of clinical psychology as a career.

Members don't see this ad.

My clinical and research experiences are separate so I will be able to construct the first two essays separately. It's merely that these experiences are the foundations for my personal statement. I plan to only include what I learned from these and how it shaped my interests in the personal statement but it seems like essays really require some kind of redundancy!

Glad to know that I'm not the only one struggling and/or stupid that I can't figure this one out.

And good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked at the school, but it seemed to me that they had some weak funding to offer. Is this your impression as well?

I applied there last year and the application was similar (if not identical). I think I broke down my previously constructed PS into the sections they were looking for and then added as necessary. FYI, the page limit suggestions they give are quite high and mine were nowhere near that long.

FYI, I also interviewed there last year and was an NU undergrad. They are notorious for lengthy applications. I think it's just to make sure you are serious.

(And yes, their funding is run quite different because they do not have the same kind of funds as an arts & sciences based program like the one at the Evanston campus.)

But just so no one gets the wrong impression I would highly encourage you to apply still. Great program, great location.

I was accepted there back in 01-02, and at that time they would only guarantee a 1/2 tuition waiver for the first year (no stipend either). I also got into UIC (which offered full funding), but eventually decided on American Univ. (in DC, which also gave me full funding).

My impression of the program at NU was positive, though it seemed to be very psychodynamically oriented - but again, this was some time ago.

I applied there last year too. My clinical experience was from a research project, so in the clinical essay I talked about the clinical skills I gained in the research project, the kind of supervision I received, and how this impacted my interest in clinical work.

My impression of the program at NU was positive, though it seemed to be very psychodynamically oriented - but again, this was some time ago.

My understanding is that it is psychodynamic in general, but the DCT (Dr. Reinecke) is more of a CBT-er.

I looked at the school, but it seemed to me that they had some weak funding to offer. Is this your impression as well?

I actually spoke with the DCT on the phone a few weeks ago. I asked him about the funding situation, and he said that the reason they only guarantee 50% tuition is because it is based in a medical school, and therefore there are no TA opportunities since there are no undergrads to teach. That makes it hard to guarantee funding for everyone. He said that typically, if your POI has grants, you will get the rest of your tuition covered plus a stipend. He said his personal policy was to actually just hire his students as Research Assistants and give them a salary and what they do with that salary (e.g. pay tuition) is at their discretion.

Not looking forward to those essays...

This is odd, but the essays have changed!

"Essay Questions:
  • Please upload these essays via the Writing Sample section of the online application. Number your responses to correspond with the questions. Limit your responses to the first two questions to a maximum of one page each.
1. Clinical experience
Please describe your clinically relevant experiences, including, for instance, time spent as a mental health worker, occupational therapist, paramedic, hot-line drug counselor, volunteer or student in a mental health setting. Indicate how much time was involved and whether or not you were paid. Describe the nature and frequency of the supervision you received.

2. Research experience
Describe your research experience, indicating the following: 1) settings in which it occurred, 2) the population studied, 3) your responsibilities (e.g., observation, coding, design and planning, instrument development, data analysis, preparation of reports), 4) length of time involved in each research project, 5) nature and frequency of supervision, and 6) description of presentations or publications which may have resulted from the research. You are encouraged to submit abstracts or reprints (no more than a total of five pages).

3. Ways of thinking about human experiences
Ours is a program for developing clinical researchers. We try to understand thoroughly both normal and pathological experience. How would you as a clinical researcher approach this enterprise? What modes of thinking about human behavior are most compatible with your own style? Least compatible? Why? We are interested in learning about the factors that have been most influential in molding your thinking, and stimulating the choice of clinical psychology as a career."

via
http://psychiatry.northwestern.edu/...am-in-clinical-psychology/admissionsapplying/

Does this mean no personal statement?? Because that was definitely the strongest of my essays... also, the last question is confusing. Are we supposed to just generally talk about how we learn? Or relate it to a school of psychological thought? Or are we talking about how our own thoughts have driven us toward a career in psychology? Or how we plan to think once we are actually psychologists? These are mostly rhetorical questions lol.

Do you think I can include my personal statement anyways? I'm bummed about this change!

Unbelievable! This seems odd... how are applicants supposed to identify POIs and explain their research interests without a personal statement. None of the other questions covers this. I suppose it could be included in the essay on your research experience.

I think I'm going to call the admissions department to find out what they really want. More confused than ever! I'll be sure to post on what they say!

Members don't see this ad :)
^ Thanks! I'm applying here too and confused as well w/ these essays...

Unbelievable! This seems odd... how are applicants supposed to identify POIs and explain their research interests without a personal statement. None of the other questions covers this. I suppose it could be included in the essay on your research experience.

I think I'm going to call the admissions department to find out what they really want. More confused than ever! I'll be sure to post on what they say!

I know... it's odd that they specified the statement could be up to 5 pages and then suddenly deleted the whole question... I'll be interested to hear what they have to say about this!

I'm in the process of filling out the application online, and there is a place to upload a personal statement with the following prompt:

Please use the space provided to explain your immediate and long term research and occupational goals with respect to your intended field of study. Please indicate why you have chosen to pursue your study at Northwestern University, and provide details regarding your particular areas of academic interest.

There is also a diversity statement (optional):

Diversity Statement
spacer.gif

The Graduate School at Northwestern University considers having a diverse student population a key element to the educational experience of its graduate students. Diversity presents itself in many different forms such as: socio-economic status, race or ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, nationality or place of origin, disability, unique work or life experience, etc. We invite you to use this space to tell us how you may contribute to the diversification of, The Graduate School, your program and Northwestern University. (The submission of this statement is optional for all applicants.)

The three essays they request on the website is supposed to be uploaded into the Writing Samples section. So there is a place for a regular personal statement, their essays, as well as a diversity essay (optional).

That's a lot of writing!!

I'm in the process of filling out the application online, and there is a place to upload a personal statement with the following prompt:

Please use the space provided to explain your immediate and long term research and occupational goals with respect to your intended field of study. Please indicate why you have chosen to pursue your study at Northwestern University, and provide details regarding your particular areas of academic interest.

There is also a diversity statement (optional):

Diversity Statement
spacer.gif

The Graduate School at Northwestern University considers having a diverse student population a key element to the educational experience of its graduate students. Diversity presents itself in many different forms such as: socio-economic status, race or ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, nationality or place of origin, disability, unique work or life experience, etc. We invite you to use this space to tell us how you may contribute to the diversification of, The Graduate School, your program and Northwestern University. (The submission of this statement is optional for all applicants.)

The three essays they request on the website is supposed to be uploaded into the Writing Samples section. So there is a place for a regular personal statement, their essays, as well as a diversity essay (optional).

Wow, no kidding!! I wonder if they eliminated question number 3 from the writing sample because they felt it was redundant with the personal statement q on the online app... I definitely favored the original question. It was also the only question that seemed to want to know about the character of the applicant, over the experiences or goals. In fact, they seem pretty different to me. Hmm.

This app certainly requires dedication....

I just called the Division of Psychology. Clinicalpsyapp is correct. The personal statement should be uploaded where it asks for one on the online application and the three other essays should be uploaded under Writing Sample. They removed the personal statement essay from the list of four essays since it would have been redundant. Hope this helps to clarify some things for everyone.

Good luck!

I just called the Division of Psychology. Clinicalpsyapp is correct. The personal statement should be uploaded where it asks for one on the online application and the three other essays should be uploaded under Writing Sample. They removed the personal statement essay from the list of four essays since it would have been redundant. Hope this helps to clarify some things for everyone.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info!! Pity I wrote mine addressing the initial question... I suppose I'll try to alter it to also answer the new personal statement prompt. This is some application.

I applied here last year and was rejected. I don't know if they changed it or not but the website said you had to have subject test, I called and the secretary said that was inaccurate and that they would change it...

I just checked the website this second and this is what's on there:

"Please upload these essays via the Writing Sample section of the online application. Number your responses to correspond with the questions. Limit your responses to the questions 1 and 3 to a maximum of two pages each.

1. Clinical experience

2. Research experience

Ours is a program for developing clinical researchers. We try to understand thoroughly both normal and pathological experience. How would you as a clinical researcher approach this enterprise? What modes of thinking about human behavior are most compatible with your own style? Least compatible? Why? We are interested in learning about the factors that have been most influential in molding your thinking, and stimulating the choice of clinical psychology as a career.

4. Personal Statement
Please describe people, events and clinical experiences that have shaped your career choice and your goals for graduate school"

Then when you go to the online application, they want a statement of purpose too...is that right??

I just checked the website this second and this is what's on there:

"Please upload these essays via the Writing Sample section of the online application. Number your responses to correspond with the questions. Limit your responses to the questions 1 and 3 to a maximum of two pages each.

1. Clinical experience

2. Research experience

4. Personal Statement
Please describe people, events and clinical experiences that have shaped your career choice and your goals for graduate school"

Then when you go to the online application, they want a statement of purpose too...is that right??

:confused: Color me frustrated! I've already prepared my paper packet for the second coming of questions. This marks the third version they've published of what they want... Now I don't know if I should rewrite my responses again? And I was going to mail the app tomorrow too. Hmmph.

Keep in mind that the applications for the Northwestern Evanston campus program and the Feinberg medical program are processed through the same site. You might well be looking at different application instructions for the two programs.

Keep in mind that the applications for the Northwestern Evanston campus program and the Feinberg medical program are processed through the same site. You might well be looking at different application instructions for the two programs.

Thanks for the heads-up but unfortunately, all these changes really have happened for the Feinberg medical program... this marks the third change to their essays...

Current page: http://psychiatry.northwestern.edu/...am-in-clinical-psychology/admissionsapplying/

oh snap! then nevermind. that's ridiculous.

Ways of thinking about human experiences

I'm so confused!!

I called the admissions department again this past week. They said that the personal statement should be uploaded as a personal statement on the online application AND included with the other essays uploaded in the writing sample section. I was also assured that it won't be changing again! We shall see...

I've been working on the first three essays. I'm still frustrated by the clinical and research essays, simply because a lot of it is information I already included in my SOP. I've elaborated a lot more on my experiences for the essays. In my SOP, I discuss my experiences in terms of what I learned from them and how it contributed to my interests but there is still overlap. How are you all handling this? Have you parred down your SOP, reconstructed it, or just comfortable with the essays sounding slightly redundant?

This program is really frustrating me! If only I didn't want to work with a professor there so badly!

Agh! I just realized that I submitted the app BEFORE Northwestern's latest set of changes... my personal statement was submitted in the correct place, but I never re-submitted it as question number 4... do you think they'll hold this against me? I can't reaccess the application now that I've submitted it.

My head hurts...

I would call the department and ask if you can send it to them now. The deadline isnt until December 14th so you have time. They should be pretty accomodating since they've changed the essays several times!

For the research experience essay, its unclear if presentations or publications should be discussed only if they are yours as an applicant or if it should be whatever pubs or presentations have come out of the project. The essay prompt reads:

6) description of presentations or publications which may have resulted from the research. You are encouraged to submit abstracts or reprints (no more than a total of five pages).

Thoughts on this?

Any updates on this school's interview invites?

My understanding is that it is psychodynamic in general, but the DCT (Dr. Reinecke) is more of a CBT-er.

Hi all,
From the posts here and the Insider's Guide, I thought that about 30% of the faculty at Northwestern Feinberg were psychodynamically-oriented... but when I looked through the faculty members who are accepting students for next fall, they all seemed to be very neuropsych/ CBT to me... I already sent in my transcript, GRE scores, and recommendations, but now I'm thinking of not applying at all because it doesn't seem like any professors are even remotely psychodynamic in orientation. Does anyone know if there are any professors who are somewhat psychodynamic? Or more about the program in general? Any input would be greatly appreciated-- the application is due on the 13th so I need to decide if I'm applying now and write those essays!
Thanks!!
Nancy

Hi all,
From the posts here and the Insider's Guide, I thought that about 30% of the faculty at Northwestern Feinberg were psychodynamically-oriented... but when I looked through the faculty members who are accepting students for next fall, they all seemed to be very neuropsych/ CBT to me... I already sent in my transcript, GRE scores, and recommendations, but now I'm thinking of not applying at all because it doesn't seem like any professors are even remotely psychodynamic in orientation. Does anyone know if there are any professors who are somewhat psychodynamic? Or more about the program in general? Any input would be greatly appreciated-- the application is due on the 13th so I need to decide if I'm applying now and write those essays!
Thanks!!
Nancy

I interviewed here last year. I did not get the sense that they were psychodynamically oriented at all (never heard this before either), so that's news to me. Granted, I applied to work with professors who are mostly CBT oriented... so I probably didn't interview with anyone who wasn't. I know that they are more practice oriented (they work within a medical school model, with the aim of preparing their students to work within more academic medical settings) than most research oriented programs. I thought it was a really nice program (strong at that), but the funding was a huge drawback.

Either way, when you apply, you're applying to a specific professor... so I'm surprised you sent in materials already without having looked into that (i.e., which faculty are accepting students and whether you are a research fit with one of them). If it's not really a fit for you, I would lean toward not applying. Granted, if you have the money, you can always apply, see if you get an interview and then assess the matter more in person when you're there.

I interviewed here last year. I did not get the sense that they were psychodynamically oriented at all (never heard this before either), so that's news to me. Granted, I applied to work with professors who are mostly CBT oriented... so I probably didn't interview with anyone who wasn't. I know that they are more practice oriented (they work within a medical school model, with the aim of preparing their students to work within more academic medical settings) than most research oriented programs. I thought it was a really nice program (strong at that), but the funding was a huge drawback.

Either way, when you apply, you're applying to a specific professor... so I'm surprised you sent in materials already without having looked into that (i.e., which faculty are accepting students and whether you are a research fit with one of them). If it's not really a fit for you, I would lean toward not applying. Granted, if you have the money, you can always apply, see if you get an interview and then assess the matter more in person when you're there.

This is very good advice. The Feinberg program at NU is considered a very strong and well-balanced school. Also, Mark Reinecke is an outstanding clinician and researcher in unipolar depression. His theoretical framework is primarily CBT.