Northwestern Feinberg vs UMich vs Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irohisthegoat24

Reaction score
Hey community! Need some help here, I am tryna decide between these three schools. The money has not come out yet and obviously that will play a role but I am just trying to see in a vacuum which school presents the best option. With the changes in the STEP exam as well as future residency options I am definitely torn between these three schools I feel blessed to have gotten As from. Where I'm at right now is Hopkins 1, Mich 2, Northwestern 3. Hopkins seems like a golden opportunity for the present and future while being close to home for me, Mich is an incredible environment (as far as I could tell on interview day), and Northwestern is in Chicago and provides a great combo of location and great school. Does anyone have any opinions, advice, or information they've heard about experiences at any of these schools? I would appreciate any insight. Thanks!

Hopkins:
Pros: Close to home, Best world-class reputation, opportunities, excellent public health (want to do MPH), lower cost of living, networking and connection opportunities.

Cons: I do believe Baltimore is the unfortunate recipient of a lot of negative stigma but still living there I have my questions. Additionally, questions about the community of students and recreational life. Is the student body collaborative, together, and get along well?

Michigan
Pros: Im a huge sports fan so the community is super awesome here. Excellent school and hospital system. Michigan Alumni Network. Student body seems like they get along in a really amazing way. Public Health is amazing here too.

Cons: Diversity in Patient population questions in Ann Arbor, Cold af (even though everywhere is gonna be a bit cold lol).

Northwestern
Pros: Many of the same pros I see in Michigan. Excellent school, the children's hospital is great as well as the other hospitals. Chicago is a great location to be in. Student body seems wholesome and collaborative.

Cons: Chicago cost of living high, public health not as high as Hop or Michigan, idk how it measures up with the other two for residency matching.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You seem cool—big sports fan here, myself. Hopkins is the only one of your options that I’m also looking at, so I’ll say Hopkins in the hopes that we end up in the same class! Personal biases aside, I also have/had similar concerns about the hopkins culture. Still looking into it, but from what I gather it has become way more collaborative and friendly than in years past.

Last edited:
Here is what I wish I knew before med school (I'm a retired surgeon)..Choose the med school that has the BEST scores on Residency testing and the BEST residency slots--IGNORE the Ivory Tower reps...for instance, IF you were into Trauma (like me) Hopkins may be a GREAT medical school but the trauma centers--w/exception of Shock Trauma...are more limited. Look at your interests down-the line. If close to home is important (you will have VERY LITTLE down time) go close. What YOU put into a med school education is up to you--you can be at a low level med school and excel as well as Hopkins on your med student rotations, shine, and get into a stellar Residency that way. So--go where you will be HAPPY, work hard, and choose med schools associated with GREAT Residencies in specialties you like now (may change)...as a LAST example.: I started a Residency at Mayo and QUIT--because the Ivory Tower had a GREAT REP but saw little TRAUMA, we were 'knee deep' in Residents waiting to WATCH as people come from al over and have NO interest in a medstudent/Resident doing anything ON them!... and I never got my hands dirty. However? DETROIT was AWESOME, down and dirty and I had to repeat my Mayo year for LACK of procedures etc!!! (and of course Mayo Blacklisted me for leaving...;)

So...choose with an eye on what you love.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Here is what I wish I knew before med school (I'm a retired surgeon)..Choose the med school that has the BEST scores on Residency testing and the BEST residency slots--IGNORE the Ivory Tower reps...for instance, IF you were into Trauma (like me) Hopkins may be a GREAT medical school but the trauma centers--w/exception of Shock Trauma...are more limited. Look at your interests down-the line. If close to home is important (you will have VERY LITTLE down time) go close. What YOU put into a med school education is up to you--you can be at a low level med school and excel as well as Hopkins on your med student rotations, shine, and get into a stellar Residency that way. So--go where you will be HAPPY, work hard, and choose med schools associated with GREAT Residencies in specialties you like now (may change)...as a LAST example.: I started a Residency at Mayo and QUIT--because the Ivory Tower had a GREAT REP but saw little TRAUMA, we were 'knee deep' in Residents waiting to WATCH as people come from al over and have NO interest in a medstudent/Resident doing anything ON them!... and I never got my hands dirty. However? DETROIT was AWESOME, down and dirty and I had to repeat my Mayo year for LACK of procedures etc!!! (and of course Mayo Blacklisted me for leaving...;)

So...choose with an eye on what you love.

Thank you for your input!

But what do you suggest for people who are undecided about specialties (prior to starting medical school)?

Hey community! Need some help here, I am tryna decide between these three schools. The money has not come out yet and obviously that will play a role but I am just trying to see in a vacuum which school presents the best option. With the changes in the STEP exam as well as future residency options I am definitely torn between these three schools I feel blessed to have gotten As from. Where I'm at right now is Hopkins 1, Mich 2, Northwestern 3. Hopkins seems like a golden opportunity for the present and future while being close to home for me, Mich is an incredible environment (as far as I could tell on interview day), and Northwestern is in Chicago and provides a great combo of location and great school. Does anyone have any opinions, advice, or information they've heard about experiences at any of these schools? I would appreciate any insight. Thanks!

Hopkins:
Pros: Close to home, Best world-class reputation, opportunities, excellent public health (want to do MPH), lower cost of living, networking and connection opportunities.

Cons: I do believe Baltimore is the unfortunate recipient of a lot of negative stigma but still living there I have my questions. Additionally, questions about the community of students and recreational life. Is the student body collaborative, together, and get along well?

Michigan
Pros: Im a huge sports fan so the community is super awesome here. Excellent school and hospital system. Michigan Alumni Network. Student body seems like they get along in a really amazing way. Public Health is amazing here too.

Cons: Diversity in Patient population questions in Ann Arbor, Cold af (even though everywhere is gonna be a bit cold lol).

Northwestern
Pros: Many of the same pros I see in Michigan. Excellent school, the children's hospital is great as well as the other hospitals. Chicago is a great location to be in. Student body seems wholesome and collaborative.

Cons: Chicago cost of living high, public health not as high as Hop or Michigan, idk how it measures up with the other two for residency matching.
What do you like more:
Covered dishes and Mackinac Island fudge vs crab cakes vs that casserole they call Chicago pizza????

• Haha
hello!! hopkins!!! 100 p it's hopkins

edit: i think it's naive to underestimate just how helpful having your family nearby in baltimore will be...also hopkins is THE public health powerhouse (as someone who studied public health, can confidently attest to this)

• Love