northwestern interview & my idiocy

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by marq_bme, Dec 9, 2002.

1. marq_bme

marq_bme Senior Member

so you work hard for three years, do lots of volunteer work, 2 years of research, study all summer for the MCAT, and you are thrilled you get an interview at a great school like northwestern...then all of a sudden something like the following comes out of your mouth during the interview...allow me to recapitulate:

Northwestern faculty: "Hello guys, this panel interview is basically to see how well you match up with northwestern and what we have to offer as a school."

..(2-3 questions in)

Northwestern faculty: "How do you feel about coming to live in downtown chicago?"

Me: "Um, actually, I've considered it. And looking at the location, which is a block from mich ave, the hancock and lakeshore drive, I think Id have a difficult time adjusting at first to the consumeristic/materialistic society that I will be surrounded by and am opposed to."

Northwestern faculty: "I see..(They go on to all write several notes about my response while i think to myself....you IDIOT!)

advice to others...don't fuk up once your this far.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TeinVI

TeinVI Banned
    Banned

dude were u high or something? what made give a response like that?! u can't be TOO honest u know what i mean

edit: but hey u never know, maybe they'll accept u b/c u were honest

4. SunnyS81

SunnyS81 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I sure hope you're joking.

I've gotten philosophical in interviews but pointing out the materialistic and consumeristic society that your INTERVIEWER lives in (probably for a long time) and ENJOYS?!

I know the dean of the college of science at my school once recieved a call from a school saying he was the single most arrogant person they had ever interviewed (Wake Forest). No offense, but if I were your interviewer, I'd probably call the dean or advisor at your school and suggest you attend interviews SOBER AND DRUG-FREE!

Time to continue stuying for my feminist literature final............

5. conure

conure Master Distiller

It really seems like a softball question that you could have really showed enthusiasm for the area. I mean, focus on the diverse cultural experiences possible in chicago and the positive direction the city is taking with access along the river. Plus the constant emphasis on art and new art exhibits all over the city. Really if anything is bad its that you won't have time to enjoy the richness of that city.

Perhaps this didn't seem as bad in person as it sounds written here on the board. First question of the day so I think you could chalk it up to nerves.

Don't worry it will work out, if not at NW then somewhere else. Good luck.

6. jot

jot

wait marq_bme - isn't your dad the major stake holder of The Gap?;)

shake it off dude - if your mstp interviews went well, they won't care about the med school ones. chinup- good thingswill come
    -jot

7. MedApp2003

MedApp2003 Senior Member

it doesn't really sound that awful to me. i think a lot of people get nervous and that translates into saying things that are a little odd.

i really wouldn't worry about it. i have definitely said some things i regret at some of my med school interviews. alas.

8. BobbyDylanFan

BobbyDylanFan Senior Member

Tein,
    Can we get a picture for this thread?

I need a little laugh today!

9. SouthernGirl

SouthernGirl Senior Member

Don't beat yourself up. Honesty beats butt kissing any day in my book ;). Hopefully they'll be understanding, and you most likely said it in a respectful and thoughtful way, if nothing else. It's always hard to tell exactly how people really take the things you say. Hang in there and let us know what comes of it. :)

10. TeinVI

TeinVI Banned
    Banned

here ya go

EDIT: pic removed b/c i don't wanna get banned again :p

11. PrincessCKNY

PrincessCKNY Crown Royal Member

Actually, I think I agree w/ Tien on this one. (btw, that pic is HILARIOUS! :laugh: )

It could go either way w/ this one. They could give you kudos for being the first honest person in weeks, or reem you for being condescending, or neither. It could simply have been duly noted. You'll never know until you get that decision letter as to how they reacted. Good thing it was a panel tho...greater chance it could have swung your way.

12. BobbyDylanFan

BobbyDylanFan Senior Member

Priceless Tein, Priceless

13. marq_bme

marq_bme Senior Member

lol, that pic is awesome!

14. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    i have to hurry up and download it since the mods will surely can that pic, but thats too funny tein6 :laugh: :laugh:

15. GoodMonkey

GoodMonkey sproutmobile

Resident [Any Field]
    grr... all the filters set up on work computers won't let me see tein's pic. :mad: what is it? what is it?

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Woots32

Woots32 kinda funky, kinda fine

Medical Student
    It's a pigeon pooping on a little kid's head, and the caption says "That's just f***ing great."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

18. it took me like 10 minutes to understand what was wrong with this statement......yes i know....
    but seriuosly it isnt that bad, and if u did well on ur other questions, then they might overshadow this one, at any rate good luck :)

19. GoodMonkey

GoodMonkey sproutmobile

Resident [Any Field]
    thanx woots. :D