Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Northwestern Med School renamed

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Peter Parker, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    To all those applying to Northwestern,
    They just re-named their medical school the Feinberg School of Medicine after Reuben Feinberg's 103 million dollar donation. Check out the press release... <a href="http://www.northwestern.edu/univ-relations/media_relations/releases/02_2002/feinberg.html" target="_blank">http://www.northwestern.edu/univ-relations/media_relations/releases/02_2002/feinberg. html</a>
    What's up with all these renamings these days? i.e. Pritzker, Weill...at least Wake Forest had some sense and un-re-named Bowman Gray School of Medicine. I wish schools would stop this, regardless of the financial gifts they recieve. It makes me feel as though medical schools are for sale -- though that may not be the intention of the donors. Any thoughts?

2. squeek

squeek Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm at "Weill Cornell," and almost everybody hates the name--especially the hospital physicians, who think the school sold out. From a financial perspective, however, it probably makes sense for the school. I think the hope is that if they entice the donor with a name change, that donor will give consistently to the school. At "Weill," that's turned out to be the case so far--just this year Weill added another $100 million donation to his original $150 million donation three years ago. I guess the administration hopes the gifts will continue.

3. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

it's ridiculous. i did my undergrad at northwestern (are you there too, erasmus?) and they went through TWO money-driven name changes while i was there--ryan field (which caused a helluva lot of controversy) and weinberg college of arts and sciences. now they're building a new dorm named for someone ELSE who gave a load of cash to the school. i totally agree it's like schools are for sale.

4. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    at Johns Hopkins, a similar thing happened.
    Michael Bloomberg (new mayor of NYC) is also a Johns Hopkins alumnus. He built a new physics building and had the name changed to Bloomberg Hall. It used to be Rowland Hall. Rowland was a famous physics professor who perfected a technic to make spectrograph grating (remember using a little device in high school science classes to see how light is broken up into bands of color?). Of course big donors deserve their names on buildings more than smart people. Anyways just last year the school of public health has not been called, "The Bloomberg School of Public Health." I'm just waiting for the day when I can proudly say, I graduated from Bloomberg University.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen

Attending Physician
    This is why you kiss rich patient's asses. They might turn your medical center into theirs.

"Mr. Feinberg?s initial interest in medical philanthropy began in 1987 when he was a patient at Northwestern Memorial Hospital and was treated by three doctors who are on the faculty of the medical school. A year later, through the Foundation, he made a $17 million gift to create the Feinberg Cardiovascular Research Institute headed by Dr. Francis Klocke. Researchers affiliated with the institute are at the forefront of national efforts to treat and cure cardiovascular disease."

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

oh yeah, what was that whole story with 'accenture hall' in harris? basically, the consulting firm accenture gave a lot of money to redo a lecture hall in one campus building at northwestern, so now the ROOM (not the building, but the ROOM) is named 'accenture hall' or something. ridiculous! at this rate, every room and building on northwestern's campus is going to be named after some rich person or company.

7. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen

Attending Physician
    At Johns Hopkins some of the ailes in the library have donor names and some of the study areas. That's the way the world works. Who ever has the most money can buy the most souls. That's my goal in life, to own more souls.

8. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen

Attending Physician
    sorry i'm blabbing about hopkins, i'm glad to be out of that hell-hole.

"They make take our lives, but never our freedom"

9. alice

alice Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

naming educational institutions after big donors is as old as the oldest one in the country... john harvard was no founder, just some dude with a lot of money.

don't sweat the changes - big money is GOOD for these schools. northwestern should be psyched about the $$. i know cornell is doing just fine finding uses for weills 150 big ones.

10. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by alice:
    <strong>naming educational institutions after big donors is as old as the oldest one in the country... john harvard was no founder, just some dude with a lot of money.
    </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">oh, i know the influence of money and how this happens all the time. it's just that lately it actually caused a lot of controversy at northwestern. the best example i can think of is ryan field, the football stadium. it was called 'dyche stadium' for about 70 years in honor of some other person. this person probably donated a lot of money too and that's how they got their name on it, although i don't know for sure--for some reason, i think that the guy had done something else. anyway, throughout the years, northwestern had always promised the dyche family that in honor of mr. dyche, the stadium would 'always bear his name'. this had been going on for nearly 70 years. but then the ryan family stepped forward with several million dollars to renovate the stadium and the stadium was renamed in a flash, without a second thought. the dyche family reminded the university of the promise and protested (everyone else too--i think the renaming was not really supported) but money meant more than honor, i guess.

i know this kind of thing happens all the time and that's life. but it was especially striking to me in light of the fact that buildings at northwestern are getting renamed left and right all within the past few years.

11. catcher22

catcher22 Member
    7+ Year Member

i agree sandflea, i'm a senior at NU...and I just attended a class and event yesterday at "accenture forum". This renaming stuff is crazy. Just give me back my good 'ol Harris 107 and NUMS...
    what can you do..

12. matthew0126

matthew0126 Anaheim Angels
    7+ Year Member

hey guys, you do know that tuitions and help from the government doesn't cover all the costs of putting up a school, medical or not?

i guess i'm out in left field, but i'm grateful to all these companies, rich bastards, etc that have plunked down huge amounts of cash

13. SimulD

SimulD Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm an NU alum, and I'm pretty ticked about all that stuff, too ... I guess I couldn't really stand my alma mater, but the renaming business is getting out of hand. It isn't all schools. We've been doing it forever. Places like Michigan and other Big 10 schools have NOT sold out as hard as we have. Look how many rooms and buildings are now named after donors. So sell out. Our endowment and campaign for a $1 billion are so successful, yet we feel the need to solicit bulls--t for naming buildings.

I can't stand it. It's embarrassing.

The best we can do is little things, like continuing to call Ryan Field "Dyche" ... and pass it on the Freshman. And say Tech, not McCormick, and say CAS, not Weinberg. I can't believe Accenture got their grubby paws on us, too.

Simul

14. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i still call ryan field 'dyche'--it's just habit. and who the heck ever called tech 'mccormick', anyway? did that start after i graduated several years ago? yeah, mccormick was always a part of the school's name, but it was always 'tech'--the building and the school. and 'weinberg' was STILL always CAS.

current students, please tell me that no one calls CAS 'weinberg'. since the name changed in spring of 1998, i guess everyone at NU who ever knew the school as CAS has already graduated. and don't even get me started on the lagoon!!!

15. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    sandflea,
    sorry to say so, but CAS is now referred to as 'Weinberg' all over campus and the med school will probably soon follow as 'Feinberg.' At least they're getting donors whose last names rhyme.
    as an undergrad at northwestern, i feel the school is a total sell-out to corporations. in the near future, there will be a Ford Motor Building for Civil Engineering on the lawn in front of the Shakespeare Garden. Also, the school of speech is being renamed to something as well (something like school of communication & media studies). And, in the lawn in the center of the north campus fraternity quads, they are constructing Slivka hall...right in the middle. Lastly, the lagoon's most scenic bit is being paved over into a 200-space parking lot.
    I was the last year to know CAS and Dyche and I will continue to use those names as much as I can. I know how angry alumni can get at people changing this stuff up...SOmeday if I have enough money, I will un-re-name things.

16. Dr. Kermit

Dr. Kermit Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

As much as I don't agree with changing a name of a school in honor of a donor, I'd rather have a name change as a result of a positive $ donation. Remember, MCP became MCP-HU and now it's going to become Drexel University MCP-Hahnemann School of Medicine. How the heck are you going to know where you're going to school if the school can't even figure it out! I told people I interviewed at Hahnemann and they'd so "where?" I'd tell them it used to be MCP and they'd go "oh??, didn't they go bankrupt!"

17. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i'm not saying that the money pouring into northwestern isn't a good thing. it's great that the school has been attracting so many prominent donors in the past few years. it's just that the rate that things have been renamed simply in the past couple of years is unbelievable.

and i can't believe that CAS is called weinberg!!! i guess if everyone has always known it as weinberg, what else can you expect? i think all us annoyed NU alums should make a pact to pool our money together and buy back the CAS name. :D

18. SimulD

SimulD Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The lagoon bit is infuriating me. I can't believe they would do such a thing.

But, in that case, I'm gonna have to go with blaming Evanston for their lousy policies and general tendencies in making my life a living hell over there. They wouldn't allow a multi-level parking structure (Until of course the Church Street/Theatre complex was built), and their parking rules are a goddamn joke. We had to eliminate some part of our campus to make room for parking, and I guess that was the first.

You know, NU has a lot of name recognition and has gotten me to where I want to be, and I will give them money when I make some. But I will not tell younger kids to go there because the combination of administration's moronicness and the horrible town-gown relations make it a really tough place to swallow, unless you can get out to/afford Chicago every weekend.

PO'd in N'Awlins,

Simul

p.s. - on the other hand, Tulane has such a great town gown with New Orleans (both the med school and the undergrad) ... they LOVE us here!

19. Stratilo

Stratilo Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Another rename for ya: Marshall University School of Medicine in Huntington, WV is has been renamed to the Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine -- the first one in the USA to be named after a woman!