1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Northwestern or Dartmouth/Brown? I have 4 days to decide.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by selkie14, Jul 20, 2006.

1. selkie14

selkie14 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I have to decide between Northwestern & the Dartmouth/Brown program before Tuesday (4 days)--please let me know what you think! I was on 4 waitlists (no acceptances, had started next year's app) until two days ago, and got a call from Dartmouth/Brown on Tuesday and from Northwestern today. I guess I'd just stopped believing in it happening, and now I have no idea what to do on that. Northwestern's got the advantage of being in one place (I don't much like all the shuffling around you do for clinical placements at Dartmouth, whether it's just the one big switch to Brown for the D/B program or the many little switches they do in the normal program) and also of all of the things that you'd see in a city and not elsewhere. Free clinics to work at; can learn medical Spanish like I'd wanted to. A really large class (175, including ~50 HPME kids) compared to Dartmouth's (75 total, 15 of whom are in the Dartmouth/Brown program). Dartmouth has the advantage of being a really friendly and laid back atmosphere (e.g. can bike to work), is 2.5 hours (and Brown is closer!) to Boston, where I have friends and where my boyfriend might try to transfer. As you can see, it does start to be the professional vs the personal. Please, please let me know if you have any feedback that will help me in making this decision.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. selkie14

selkie14 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

4. coralfangs

coralfangs Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

obviously NW

5. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Feinberg is in the top 5 of med school locations in the country, IMO.

6. SailCrazy

SailCrazy I gotta have more cowbell
    10+ Year Member

Northwestern.

Congrats on your waitlist luck! :thumbup:

7. pls accept me

5+ Year Member

Go Dartmouth. I want in on Northwestern

8. etf

etf
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

wow, you're my hero with the clutch waitlist shots. i vote for NW.

9. butmylipshurtrealbad

butmylipshurtrealbad Coolesteverclubmem4life
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yay! Congrats with the waitlists:) Honestly, it sounded like you already made your decision in your post. The personal benefits of B/D program were just a side note to your pretty clear excitement about NW-- I understand the personal issue for sure, but your bf seems to be in transition too, and maybe you guys can work something out that brings you together in Chicago. I definitely vote for NW :thumbup:

10. Veshy

Veshy Vinsanity!!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My personal bias would be to say Northwestern, because that's where I hope to go. But my advice to you would be to strongly look at Dartmouth/Brown if you and your boyfriend are very serious and there is a good chance of him transfering to the area. Congrats on your success at long last, must feel amazing. Gotta love the feel good stories.

11. septua

septua New

Pre-Medical

I would do NW,too. It seems that switching to Brown after 2 years at Dartmouth would be somewhat difficult to a minor degree (at least for me).

12. UCLAMAN

UCLAMAN Air Jordan Collector
    7+ Year Member

i got accepted to dartmouth(though not the brown/dartmouth program) and decided on northwestern. if i got into the dartmouth/brown program i still would have gone to northwestern.

i think chicago is a better city than either hanover or rhode island(of course that is subjective). i think feinberg has more research opportunities and you would be in the same spot for all 4 years and could conceviably put to gether a great research project starting as a 1st year if you were going into a competitive field. i think chicago offers more diversity than rhode island(i could be wrong and thus welcome any flames i may have coming my way).

PM me with any other questions.

13. UCLAMAN

UCLAMAN Air Jordan Collector
    7+ Year Member

...oh...and you can bike to work in chicago too! you better not chalk that point up to only dartmouth/brown! even better...you can bike along the lake in chicago for kicks. in fact, you can have a view of the lake(as many people do) when you live here.

14. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    In the end, think about where you will be the happiest. There is no one person on here who can determine for you where you will the happiest.

Which type of curriculum do you feel will suit you better? Do you prefer to live in a large city or a forest? How much fin. aid are you receiving from both schools? What are the volunteer/research opps for both schools? Housing availability? Any personal influences? # affiliated hospitals? dual degree opportunities? etc...?

Both schools have alot to offer (both are great schools)...it's your choice.

congratulations and best wishes...you dont need luck! :thumbup:

15. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Northwestern is in a BEAUTIFUL part of Chicago--right by the lake, in gorgeous (and ritzy) Streeterville. Just two blocks from the Magnificent Mile, it is an amazing campus.

Definitely Feinberg. Definitely.

Congrats!

16. BioPremed

BioPremed Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    NW is my dream school, so if I had a choice, I'd definitely pick NW :)

17. Wildstang

Wildstang Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Def NW. I do research there, overlooking Lake Michigan....absolutely beautiful with tons of bikers. It really is a great place.

18. aung

aung Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

No love for D/B program from people here.

But I vote NW, also.

Congrats by the way.

19. sfnix

sfnix Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    despite the bitter winters, chicago, i think, is the best "big city" in america. gotta go with the wildcats.

20. ESzczesniak

ESzczesniak Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Got off the waitlist of NW a month or so ago and definitely am throwing in a vote for NW. Congratulations and if you choose to come to NW, welcome.

21. Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey Disgruntled Primate
    7+ Year Member

plus the pass/fail system at NU is great. it takes a lot of pressure off during the first two years. I think that Darmouth has a Honors/Pass/Fail throughout.

22. HemaOncoDoc

HemaOncoDoc One Step At A Time
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    :) Congrats first of all. Second, maybe you should have made this a poll-based forum. Lastly, NW even though I'm applying to Dartmouth :)

23. jjmack

jjmack Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student, Resident [Any Field]
    northwestern.

24. LoxfordSwimDM

LoxfordSwimDM Member
    2+ Year Member

Both Brown and NW are very poor choices if you actually want to become a doctor. They simply cannot provide the education that you need. They are all name and no game. ****ers.

25. desi5286

desi5286 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

#24 desi5286, Jul 21, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  26. bbpiano1

bbpiano1 Member
    5+ Year Member

If I had gotten into NW, I would have gone there.

27. Zymogen

Zymogen Sweet Like Bear Meat
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Northwestern >> Brown/Dartmouth

28. docmode

docmode Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I recently had the chance to experience Northwestern like i never really wanted to. They brought my mom back to life! She was admitted in critical condition from a suburban hospital and I know she would have died if she had not gone. The hospital is amazing and that part of Chicago is the best. The total staff is incredibly qualified for any job that they do. The hospital looks like a Four Seasons Hotel. I can't imagine anyone not getting a great training at such a medical school. I know this is a totally different prospective but it sure made an impression with me. I hope to go there. BTW, i know Dartmouth and Brown well. My opinion is that they are both much better for undergraduate schools. Great choices, congratulations and head for Chicago!

29. selkie14

selkie14 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Thank you guys so much for all of your feedback--this is all happening so fast and it's amazing to have so many well-informed opinions at my fingertips. I'm pretty sure I'm going to Northwestern. Weighing things, I do like the program better. I do have a couple of friends in Boston, but my boyfriend *maybe* being there in the future...still too many concentric "If..."s. The cost is going to be painful (Dartmouth has much better financial aid than Northwestern, and housing costs in Chicago are double what you'd have at Dartmouth), so I'm trying to resolve myself to that. It's a fantastic decision to have to make, though, and I'm still in disbelief. Thanks once again for your advice.

30. desi5286

desi5286 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

#29 desi5286, Jul 23, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  31. Picard88

Picard88 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Goto NW in chicago, your quality of life and existence will be so much better. I mean chicago is great city to sit in the library and study at

32. Picard88

Picard88 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Goto NW in chicago, your quality of life and existence will be so much better. I mean chicago is great city to sit in the library and study at!!!
    PS: i cant believe there are no winking smilies

33. SoCuteMD

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I know I am the ONLY person on this thread to say this, and I say it without knowing a whole lot about Northwestern (to be honest, my stats weren't anywhere close to enough to get me in there) but I love Dartmouth and I really like Providence, RI. I know I am biased by the presence of family in the area, but I just feel like the smaller class size is great as is the location.

I spent a long weekend at Dartmouth when I was a senior in high school and probably would have applied there early decision if it weren't so damn cold. Instead I went ED to a school in NC!

Good luck with your decision. Whatever you do, do what's best for you!!

34. Teee

Teee Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

is dartmouth in RI or NH?

35. Bubblehead-to-MD

Bubblehead-to-MD Emergency Blow!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    NH...Brown is in RI