northwestern scheduling question..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elguapo187

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey...quick question for anyone who's done pre-med work at northwestern...

if i post-bac there, i end up having to take bio and orgo at the same time during the school year...which i've been told to avoid...would taking bio or orgo over the summer at nu be a smart thing to do, or would that be too much? the summer sessions do seem VERY condensed...

thanks!

eg

Members don't see this ad.

it depends on the teachers. orgo is very time intensive, especially with barry coddens.(he's a great prof though)

i am pretty sure its impossible to take both orgo and bio in the same summer...it seems like class times overlap.

take the time to look through the link below to find out for sure

<a href="http://www.scs.northwestern.edu/courses/index.html?Dept=BIOL_SCI" target="_blank">http://www.scs.northwestern.edu/courses/index.html?Dept=BIOL_SCI</a>

Members don't see this ad :)
i meant taking one or the other over the summer, and then the other one during the school year...sorry i wasn't more clear..

eg

i took orgo and bio at the same time during the school year. don't do it. it's worse than it sounds. between lecture/labs/discussions/review sessions you're in class like 500 hours a week. Not to mention that both classes have like 4 exams per quarter, which basically works out to 1/week. You don't want this headache. No one who i've talked to that has done this did well or would do it again. Split them up.

bald

If I were you I'd take bio 110 over the summer here. Orgo over the summer is really, really challenging and Bio 210 over the year (Bio 110's academic year equivalent)is just about impossible to get an A in but is very easy to get B's in. All in all I think in order to have the highest chance of having a good gpa you should take bio 110 over the summer.

bio 110? at northwestern? i'm not seeing it in my coursebooks...i know for this summer, i have to take either bio 165 or 170 as pre-reqs for taking 210 later on...

eg

oh yeah, its not orgo,

Its O-chem, orgo simply makes no sense. It should be orga.

there's an 'easy' bio that's offered over the summer and a 'ridiculously impossible' bio that's offered during the school year. but, even the 'easy' bio is challenging, b/c the curve is brutal.

the organic in the summer is do-able, but tiring. it isn't too bad during the year, but believe people when they say taking bio and orgo during the school year is impossible. it is the hardest thing ever. even if those were my only two classes, i still couldn't get higher than B+ ... in reality, I ended up w/3 straight B- in Biology, and 2 Bs and an A in organic. And you know what? I'm doing really well in med school. so don't let those ridiculous classes scare you.

so, try to take just bio in the summer, and then orgo during the year. that's the best bet.

good luck,

Simul

I'm 100% sure that the undergrad bio equivalent in the summer is called the bio 110 sequence. I'm not sure if you'll find it in any academic year course books because it's not offered during the year. Since it's offered in the summer and covers a little less than during the year it's called bio 110. I'm not sure how post-bac stuff works here but the only pre-reqs for bio 210 I know of is the organic sequence. Even then though you don't really need organic too much in the class (only really for biochem). I hope that helps.

hmmm...the books i have say the only pre-reqs for bio 210 are the general chem sequence and 165 or 170...

i'm gonna call up today and ask about bio 110..

thanks for all the help..

eg