Northwestern Secondary Due Date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbadoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If my Northwestern Secondary was due in August, what are the chances if I submit the application that they will they read it? I know their due date policy seems strict in wording, but so was UCLA's deadline policy and I called them up well after the deadline and they extended it for me without any questions.

Any thoughts? Am I screwed applying to Northwestern? Or will I be okay? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

My guess: you're hosed. I asked for a 1-week extension (with valid reason) before my deadline and it was not granted.

I would call and ask before paying the secondary $$$ if I were in your shoes!

Or look at me... I rushed to fill out their application back in early August. Haven't heard ANYTHING from them since. Up to you, OP... but I would check with the admissions office first.

Members don't see this ad :)
kalenakai said:
Or look at me... I rushed to fill out their application back in early August. Haven't heard ANYTHING from them since. Up to you, OP... but I would check with the admissions office first.
Me too. What are they waiting for?!? :mad:

I just handed in mine tonight, at 11:51 p.m. to be exact. Down to the wire, heh. Yeah, I remember reading on their site that they hardly ever extend the date for anyone. I guess you gotta have a really really good story. Later.

Well, they only interview 10% of their applicants, so it's a battle just to get that far. Their first batch of decisions is coming up in a couple of weeks.

Why didn't you submit in August? I'd say it's too late now.

kalenakai said:
I was complete on Aug 23rd and just received an interview invitation today, November 3rd. So there is still hope!

thegenius said:
I was complete on Aug 23rd and just received an interview invitation today, November 3rd. So there is still hope!
Sweet! Congrats, thegenius. Does the invite come by email, status page, phone, or snail mail? Thanks.

kalenakai said:

Well Kalenakai, you and and 3,000 other people (out of the 6,000 who will apply to that school this season) are in the same boat. It takes at least 30 minutes to review a file (and the people who do it are faculty who VOLUNTEER to do it as a service to the med school community), another reader takes 5-15 minutes to make a second pass on the application, and then a third person makes an interview decision based on the readers' recommendation. Fear not, you aren't being ignored, you are just, by luck of the draw, at the bottom of a huge stack of applications.

I have personally reviewed over 400 applications (I won't say where) and I'm still working on supplementals sent in early August.

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
thegenius said:
Congrats! :thumbup:

I was complete on 8/16. Hopefully they've been working backwards! :D

When they reject you, do they just stop letting you access their status page?

kalenakai said:
i hear you dude, exact same situation. i would think that early applicants should receive the early interviews. especially since this place rushed us like hell to finish everything up, i was expecting them to be equally timely in their review process. to tell the truth its turning me off
SailCrazy said:
I was complete on 8/16. Hopefully they've been working backwards! :D
same here. what an incentive to submit early. it makes me wonder if their med school operates in a similar fashion. i cant tell you how much time ive wasted checking my mailbox and status page

LizzyM said:
the people who do it are faculty who VOLUNTEER to do it as a service to the med school community
applicants dont ask for ppl to volunteer--all of the exorbitant application and secondary fees should be used to streamline the process or hire efficient reviewers. where else is all of that money going

Shredder said:
applicants dont ask for ppl to volunteer--all of the exorbitant application and secondary fees should be used to streamline the process or hire efficient reviewers. where else is all of that money going

haha .. im guessing your dont know how stingy NWU (the undergrad atleast) is ..

But about the deadline, they let me submit my LORs late .. really late, stupid profs took forever..
But don't submit your application on the last day of the deadline. I did that and I just checked my app status and they said they recieved the the day after I really submitted it.

Hah, I was complete 8/25, and still no word. But I submitted my secondary a few hours late. They still accepted it, but I'm not expecting too much from them.

shaholin said:
But don't submit your application on the last day of the deadline. I did that and I just checked my app status and they said they recieved the the day after I really submitted it.

The staff said it takes 1 day for it to process on the system. You're still good.

Shredder said:
Agreed!

SailCrazy said:
its like running a nonprofit mcdonalds that serves free burgers for which you have to wait all day before receiving. oh, but the workers are volunteering. i think people would prefer non volunteer labor in exchange for fast service.

Shredder said:
its like running a nonprofit mcdonalds that serves free burgers for which you have to wait all day before receiving. oh, but the workers are volunteering. i think people would prefer non volunteer labor in exchange for fast service.
I'd say, its more like a nonprofit McDonalds that serves you $4 burgers for which you have to wait all day... and you may or may not get your burger...

But some people get there burgers right away...

And the folks at McDonalds will look at you preliminarily and know that you probably will have a long wait for your chance at a burger, but they won't tell you that they've made that determination...

I think I want Burger King!

:D

haha yes thats a more appropriate analogy. again where is all of the money going--its not like students are getting subsidized tuition with it

Shredder said:
haha yes thats a more appropriate analogy. again where is all of the money going--its not like students are getting subsidized tuition with it

The admissions office runs on the money collected by application fees. Certainly, you wouldn't expect tuition and endowment to cover those costs. There is the cost of the space occupied by the admissions office, the furnishing, electricity, housekeeping. There is the telephone and the receptionist who answers that phone when you call, yet again, with a question. There is the fax machine and the other electronic means that you use to communicate with the office. There is the Dean and the Dean's staff who promote the school to undergraduate institutions, those promotional materials, the cost of record keeping (how do we know what the mean gpa is without data analysts) meals and snacks for the interviewees, paper/printing/cataloging and storage of application records, the purchase of software & hardware needed to facilitate electronic applicaiton submissions. There are the labor, paper and postage costs associated with inviting applicants for interviews and informing them of the admission decision.

You couldn't pay faculty to do what they do as volunteers. Why does a urologist who can bill $$$ per hour spend 7 hours per week (often sometime long after the rest of his household is asleep) making decisions about invitations for interviews? Because there is a responsibility as a member of the academic community to help select the next generation of medical students. Others volunteer to review research protocols with the goal of protecting human subjects, others volunteer to serve on the tenure and promotion committee, or the student promotions committee, or to interview applicants to the medical school, or to serve on a search committee for a new hire.

The season lasts from early summer when you submit the AMCAS through mid-May when binding decisions are made by applicants who have offers of admission. At a place where only 2 waves of admission decisions go out, all things being equal you have as good a chance of being admitted if you interview on the last day of interviews as you do if you interview months earlier (although the earliest applicants tend to be stronger than those who submit with August MCATs).

It is truly mind boggling how places like GW charge $100 for their fee.
9,000+ apps x 1 Ben Franklin = $900,000+ PER CYCLE!. Makes you wonder how they are spending their money, and not to mention, the service is terrible!

Jon Davis said:
It is truly mind boggling how places like GW charge $100 for their fee.
9,000+ apps x 1 Ben Franklin = $900,000+ PER CYCLE!. Makes you wonder how they are spending their money, and not to mention, the service is terrible!
does 9000 apps mean the number who apply on AMCAS, or the number submitting secondaries? that could make a big difference.

LizzyM you make some valid points but i still think the whole process is awfully slow and bureaucratic. i dont know of any other professional school that takes nearly as long. and i also dont know why AMCAS hasnt converted to a match system yet--might even be worthy of its own thread sometime, if one hasnt already been made. its ridiculous how students have to juggle multiple acceptances and sit on waitlists, such a waste of time and resources

its true that students cant afford to reimburse docs for the time they serve on adcoms. however pure volunteering tends to lead to too much complacency in speed and efficiency. ive seen many premeds who volunteer at their own leisurely pace. you dont see that (or at least you shouldnt) in businesses, and if you do that person wont be there for long. its hard to hold ppl to standards when they can always fall back on the claim that "but im volunteering, you cant push me too hard". admissions offices must be reaping huge profits on those app fees, and with little to show for it. volunteering can just never be as efficient as enterprise