Northwestern Secondary Question....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrThom

Thundercat
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To those working on the Northwestern secondary, how are you handling the second question where you are suppose to kiss some NU A$$.

It basically asks why you want to go to the school and then asks you to talk about specific elements about the curriculm. I feel my essay is going to be all about the curriculm and I won't have space to explore the other reason I want to attend (ie, location.) In other words, I am only talking about what they are asking for. I only talk about the PBL, the PPS, and organ-based approach and boom, I hit the space limit.

Anyone else just covering what the school wants to hear?
Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

DrThom said:
To those working on the Northwestern secondary, how are you handling the second question where you are suppose to kiss some NU A$$.

It basically asks why you want to go to the school and then asks you to talk about specific elements about the curriculm. I feel my essay is going to be all about the curriculm and I won't have space to explore the other reason I want to attend (ie, location.) In other words, I am only talking about what they are asking for. I only talk about the PBL, the PPS, and organ-based approach and boom, I hit the space limit.

Thoughts?

I think that's what they want to hear anyway. I got to about 1500 on those things myself, and then went on about the other things I liked about the school (location, etc). Good luck and kiss away.

I just submitted Northwestern's secondary like five minutes ago. The second essay is the only one where I had a problem with length. I felt like I couldn't say anything meaningful given the character limit. So, I basically had the same problem as you. I only had room to talk about PBL/systems-based/PPS ... it would have been a better essay if they hadn't asked us to address so many aspects of the curriculum. Oh well.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrThom said:

Thoughts?

100% agree w/ you. Same problem.
I am hoping to tell them more about why I like their school at the interview ;) ;)

Yup DrThom, I had the same problem too. I actually went over the limit and had to trim back. I didn't get to say anything about the international study opportunities, which I really wanted to do, but oh well. Like calstudent said, hopefully we'll get to tell them our other reasons at our interviews :D

I'm having a little problem with this essay too. Actually this and a bunch of essays, so I'm going to ask a pretty generic question. Since most secondary essays are pretty short, how much personal flair should you add to one? What I mean is, when a school asks why you want to go there, should you really just neatly and articulately explain the reasons you want to go, or is there any room for things like creative introductions, antecdotes, tie-up-the-loose-ends conclusions? Or should it be pretty cut-and-dry? I mean, do these schools REALLY want to know why I want to go there, or are they trying to learn more about me as a person based on my answers? Does this make sense? Any help would be appreciated.

for essay number three part c, does this apply to any normal student not doing any overseas work? what do they mean by "formal education"?

edit: nevermind

VFrank said:
I'm having a little problem with this essay too. Actually this and a bunch of essays, so I'm going to ask a pretty generic question. Since most secondary essays are pretty short, how much personal flair should you add to one? What I mean is, when a school asks why you want to go there, should you really just neatly and articulately explain the reasons you want to go, or is there any room for things like creative introductions, antecdotes, tie-up-the-loose-ends conclusions? Or should it be pretty cut-and-dry? I mean, do these schools REALLY want to know why I want to go there, or are they trying to learn more about me as a person based on my answers? Does this make sense? Any help would be appreciated.

I can't claim to be an expert but you gotta realize that a big part of this process is to get you to research something about the school (i.e. "explain how PBL curriculum fits you etc.") When I was applying, I looked at secondaries as supplemental info about you that doesn't have anywhere near an impact as your Personal statement/MCAT scores/ grades/ EC's do. Obviously don't do a piss-poor job on em, but just let em flow. You said it yourself when you mentioned how there's not much room for you to elaborate. Answer the question, prove that your not a mindless robot (a little flair doesn't hurt but no need to go overboard a la personal statement), and you'll do fine.

G'luck.

Oh well, I went ahead and turned it in. I almost forgot to write about how the organ-based approach is better for teaching physicians (If there was a smile with the jack-off motion, I would put it here, maybe this will work :thumbup: ). Had to move my entire essay around to make room for that one sentence. Bastards. Guess I'll just hope they interview me so I can tell them the rest of the reasons.

That secondary question sucks. If you just talk about PBL and organ-based, and talk about how it's the perfect system for you (rolls eyes) you'll be ok. Don't worry about talking about the million other reasons you'd love to go there. It worked for me. Good luck.

That second essay is truly silly.

I just turned the sucker in, too. I only have UofChicago open right now, and I am pretty much sticking my head in the sand so I don't have to worry about that one.

Looking forward to UCSF and Harvard, I am neutral on Stanford, but I am scared ****less about Duke. That thing is going to have a ton of essays, I can feel it. For example, here was their secondary from two years ago...

Short Answers (1000 character limit)

Please provide us information on the most important community service/volunteer activities in which you have been involved. Please indicate your role, the length of time that you were involved, and the number of hours/week, if applicable, that you participated. How has participation in these activities impacted your preparation for a career in medicine?

Among the service activities that you listed on your AMCAS application, in which activity did you feel that you truly made an impact on someone else? What was the impact on you?

Each student brings strengths and weaknesses to the medical school class. How might your own experiences or lack of experiences, strengths and/or weaknesses, advantages and/or disadvantages contribute to the makeup of next year's class? How have these impacted your personal development and how have they contributed to your preparation for a career in medicine?

Please provide a list of your honors and awards. Indicate the one(s) of which you are the most proud and why.

Please provide a chronological list of your work experience while in college, or subsequent to your graduation, if applicable. Please indicate the length of your employment, number of hours worked/week, and your exact job title.

Have you participated in or conducted investigative research? If so, please describe below. If you have published or are listed as an author on a publication or a manuscript in press, please provide the title, authors, and name of journal.

Essays (5000 character limit)

Describe a difficult moral or ethical situation that you have encountered and how you dealt with it. What personal strengths, values, and beliefs helped you deal with this challenge?

The scientific and popular news media have heralded several "life-extending" and ?life-altering? technologies--among which are embryonic stem-cell research, cloning, genetic intervention, and organ transplantation. While such technologies represent remarkable developments and applications of our emerging scientific understanding, these technologies raise critical issues with respect to the ethics, morality and economics of these technologies. Identify some of the critical issues evoked by such technologies and address what potential moral, theological, and ethical questions might arise from the decisions made regarding developing and using these technologies in the care of patients.

IndyZX said:
That second essay is truly silly.

I just turned the sucker in, too. I only have UofChicago open right now, and I am pretty much sticking my head in the sand so I don't have to worry about that one.

Looking forward to UCSF and Harvard, I am neutral on Stanford, but I am scared ****less about Duke. That thing is going to have a ton of essays, I can feel it. For example, here was their secondary from two years ago...

Please tell me you choose only one of each section to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

calstudent said:
Please tell me you choose only one of each section to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Edit: Nope, I think you answer them all... gonna be fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still waiting to get my secondary from NU, can anybody let me know the essay questions they ask so I can get to work on researching them. Please mention character limits, thx

Obviously no one applied to Rush...

I looked at that secondary and threw it away in an instant.

I finally submitted Northwestern. :)

I was surprised when I saw a NW secondary invite on sent on a Saturday night!!! That didn't give me a full weekend to mull over my app (with the one week deadline). Anyway, it's done. Good luck to y'all.

Jason

StrngoutAS said:
Obviously no one applied to Rush...

I looked at that secondary and threw it away in an instant.

Obviously, you haven't read my previous posts....

I tackled Rush....yes, I did...all 11 essay questions...
I admire Rush's secondary because it didn't have a "stroke our ego" question like other schools had...

BTW, I got a email today from Rush about how I forgot to send in my birth certificate!?!?!?! Apparently, even if you are born in the states, they want hardcore proved you are a citizen.

congrats to those of you who submitted this beast. mine is due tomorrow night at 11:59 pm.

It's funny, the second question didn't give me as much trouble as the others...the first one is driving me nuts since I *do* feel I addressed that in my PS so now have to talk about myself.....bleah!

Anyone have this issue with the third essay....both prompt A and prompt B apply to me....did you just choose which one you would rather answer or try to incorporate the two into one answer?

GAH!

I filled out 1 of the 2 that applies to me. Choose only one, you can't fill out both. GL!

I scratched NW off my list, that's a lil less competition for you guys.

derf said:
I filled out 1 of the 2 that applies to me. Choose only one, you can't fill out both. GL!

grazie...i was thinking the same thing. i've chosen the "if you have been enrolled in formal education overseas" question...of course i am on draft 3 of this and am about to toss it also. why does this seem so hard!?

Pinkertinkle said:
I scratched NW off my list, that's a lil less competition for you guys.

thanks, my odds just increased! any other volunteers :)

derf said:
thanks, my odds just increased! any other volunteers :)

ha! nope, i'm sticking it out!!! it may just be the ONE school that wants me!!

(i'm thinking these essays will come more smoothly if i turn my music off, hey!? :idea: )

Scubadoc said:
ha! nope, i'm sticking it out!!! it may just be the ONE school that wants me!!

(i'm thinking these essays will come more smoothly if i turn my music off, hey!? :idea: )

yup, one being the operative word. All I want is one!