***Northwestern University Feinberg SOM Class of 2012***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

borat2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lookin around and couldn't believe one hasn't been started yet! Downtown chitown is freakin awesome and so are the hospitals!

Members don't see this ad.

Finally I found the NU class of 2012 thread! Good job.
Any word on second look weekend other than just knowing the date? Any specifics?

as an M1 i just want to say welcome to northwestern! it's a great place to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
i absolutely loved northwestern when i visited, but had a quick question for those who are students or who know more than i do. apparently, Feinberg is affiliated with a pretty hardcore Institure of Neuroscience, which very much interests me as I plan to be involved in research and neurology/neurosurgery is something that has peaked my interest. (please, hold off with the flaming as i know every premed and their mom wants to be a neurosurgeon).

is it possible to do a 5 year MD/Masters in neuroscience. all i saw on the website for NUIN is a PhD program. didnt know if they felt like entertaining a 3rd year MD for a masters...

hey guys, congrats to everyone that got accepted in the last few days! I hope to see everyone at the 2nd look weekend!

Hello everyone! I couldn't find an official class of 2012 thread for Northwestern... So here it is! Huge CONGRATS to everyone who has been accepted to Feinberg. Let's start meeting future classmates! :D

...c'mon, everyone chime in...

I'm so excited - I can't wait to live in Chicago and actually start med school! After the highs/lows of the online status thread update a couple weeks ago, it almost still seems like a dream, and I'm hoping no one will pinch and wake me up... ;)

Does anyone know what the grading at NW is like for all 4 years? How competitive is it? Im trying to decide where to go, and the grading is pretty important to me. Thanks!

hey guys, just wondering, why is the facebook group all NU people? 22 people at this point and not one of them is from another school...regardless, I hope to see everyone at 2nd look!

40ish students of the class are matriculating into the class out of Northwestern's HPME which can be either a 7 or 8 year BS/MD program.

ah, that explains why a lot of them are still 2009 for undergrad...

hey guys, I was wondering about Housing. Where is a good place stay? I'm not from the area so not sure even where to start...I was planning to look at a few places when I come up for 2nd look, but anyone have any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone have the northwestern 2008 match list? Students maybe? Thanks!

so the e-mail they sent about 2nd look said that formal programming ends on friday but that med students would be planning other activities...any current students know what type of stuff they are planning and when would be a good day/time to fly out of chicago? thanks!

so the e-mail they sent about 2nd look said that formal programming ends on friday but that med students would be planning other activities...any current students know what type of stuff they are planning and when would be a good day/time to fly out of chicago? thanks!

Same question. Trying to decide whether to fly out on Sat. or Sun.

Bump on the previous question.

Also, this may be a silly question, but what are you guys wearing for Second Look? Are you planning business casual for the entire event?

If you look here, everyone appears to be dressed very casually. I don't want to look goofy and over do it. :oops:

I'll be the guy wearing a Bear's sweatshirt! How about you?

I'm still trying to choose between Northwestern and Pritzker. Any thoughts?

I interviewed at both schools, but was waitlisted at U of C. Even at that, I didn't think Chicago was a good fit for me ... too heavy on research, and I am not a research guy. I also didn't like so much lecture; however, those are my reasons, you may just like all that. I will say, the campus at U of C was pretty cool, even if the neighborhood was somewhat "scary." Good luck making a decision.

I'm still trying to choose between Northwestern and Pritzker. Any thoughts?

What a decision--they are both very different from each other! What are you weighing between the two?

My boyfriend is actually in the same situation you are but will likely go to Pritzker because he received a generous financial aid package and overall it was a better fit for him. What impacts your decision?

Needless to say... I am excited about Northwestern!

What a decision--they are both very different from each other! What are you weighing between the two?

My boyfriend is actually in the same situation you are but will likely go to Pritzker because he received a generous financial aid package and overall it was a better fit for him. What impacts your decision?

Needless to say... I am excited about Northwestern!

I like the idea that you might get a more diverse patient population at Pritzker, but I didn't like the long lecture days or essay style tests - i'm sick of teachers/professors telling me they "don't teach to the test."

I thought NW had better facilities, better course structure, and better prep for the boards. I am worried that the NW clinical years aren't as strong as Pritzker's and that that could put them at a disadvantage when they apply for residencies. Is there any reason to have this worry? Does anyone know how the Priztker and NW match lists compare? Right now I'm interested in Surgery, but that'll probably change...I just want to keep my options open.

hey guys, I was wondering about Housing. Where is a good place stay? I'm not from the area so not sure even where to start...I was planning to look at a few places when I come up for 2nd look, but anyone have any suggestions?

Besides the school's apt-list from Linda Daniels, I've been apt-hunting using this free database geared especially for Feinberg students which is ridiculously comprehensive to get an idea of costs: http://www.propertiesmd.com/nwu/index.php

The Chicago craiglist is constantly updated and helpful too (I'm starting to get addicted to looking at all the glamorously fully furnished unaffordable places :rolleyes: ), but I have to admit I'm a little worried about the possible sketchiness...

Sketchiness of... possibly not getting what you will be paying for? Me too! Does anyone know where most of the medical students find housing?

Has Feinberg begun sending out merit based scholarships yet? Cheers!

Sweet, I hope I get something from them. I got a generous grant package from them, but no word on any merit-based $$$. If I don't get any merit-based scholarship money, I will probably be heading to Pitt.

MsJLewis,

If you don't mind tell us, how much did you receive? I'm hoping for some money, and nothing has come my way yet...

Goldtop,

You received a grant? Isn't that a scholarship? Or are you talking about loans? When did you receive the email? I thought they havn't sent any notifications yet....

No prob, it was for $10,000/yr.

From what Ms. Daniels told me, the majority of M1s live in McClurg Court. It's kinda on the expensive side at $1200 a month for a studio. Anyone else notice that rent around FSM skyrocketed over the past year? It was like ~$900 a month about a year or two ago.

Is anyone here doing the MD/MPH program?

Has everyone received their FA award from Feinberg? I'm pretty sad to have received no email about merit or need-based scholarships. I'm willing to take on debt but in the 150k range, not the 250k range.

MsJLewis,

If you don't mind tell us, how much did you receive? I'm hoping for some money, and nothing has come my way yet...

Goldtop,

You received a grant? Isn't that a scholarship? Or are you talking about loans? When did you receive the email? I thought they havn't sent any notifications yet....

I got need-based scholarships. I have not heard about merit money yet. I don't think I will be getting any from NU. Loans will be announced on the 15th.

From what Ms. Daniels told me, the majority of M1s live in McClurg Court. It's kinda on the expensive side at $1200 a month for a studio. Anyone else notice that rent around FSM skyrocketed over the past year? It was like ~$900 a month about a year or two ago.

Is anyone here doing the MD/MPH program?

I'm debating doing the M.D./MPH, but I'm not sure where my interests lie at this moment. What have you heard about it?

I had written off NU b/c of $$$, but I just got a decent need-based grant. I am absolutely thrilled b/c I really liked the school during interviews. Unfortunately, I'm not going to second look (can't get off work & school), so could any knowledgeable premeds or NU students answer a few questions....

1. Can I get away with NOT having a car for the first 2 years? (How about all 4 years?...this would be fantastic)

2. Does Chicago have "peapod" or the equivalent? (a service where you buy groceries on-line and get them delivered to your apartment)

3. What is the L-line (and bus routes) closest to NU?

Thanks!

It seems that way, but I'm going to hold onto the hope that this isn't the case.

I'm with you. I'm still waiting on my FA award, hopefully that'll be enough.

I'm debating doing the M.D./MPH, but I'm not sure where my interests lie at this moment. What have you heard about it?
I'm really in love with the fact that you can finish both degrees in 4 years. And without dying from what students tell me. If I get in, I'm planning to start in June so I can get back into the groove of classes (I took a year off after college).

NU's program has been around for a while, so I trust that it's a pretty good program. Compare that to my state school which is starting their MD/MPH program this year; I would apply to a separate MD/MPH program if I ended up going to my state school.

I had written off NU b/c of $$$, but I just got a decent need-based grant. I am absolutely thrilled b/c I really liked the school during interviews. Unfortunately, I'm not going to second look (can't get off work & school), so could any knowledgeable premeds or NU students answer a few questions....

1. Can I get away with NOT having a car for the first 2 years? (How about all 4 years?...this would be fantastic)

2. Does Chicago have "peapod" or the equivalent? (a service where you buy groceries on-line and get them delivered to your apartment)

Thanks!

I have a good friend who works in Chicago, and he says if you're staying in the loop area, you definitely don't need a car. Chicago also has Zipcar for short trips, so it really seems like you won't need a car for the first 2 years. And all the hospitals affiliated with NU are near the Chicago campus or serviced by shuttle, so I don't think you'd need one for the clinical years either.

Dunno about the other 2 questions. But I keep hearing how much NU "takes care" of its students. How so? I'm really curious because the students I talked to didn't go out of their way to mention it.

I'm with you. I'm still waiting on my FA award, hopefully that'll be enough.
I got my finaid award, but even with that I'm going to have to take out like 150,000 in loans, which is a bit too much I think.

I got my finaid award, but even with that I'm going to have to take out like 150,000 in loans, which is a bit too much I think.

Ouch! I guess NW isn't that generous with its finaid. :(

Ouch! I guess NW isn't that generous with its finaid. :(
Hmm...how much is the average grant at NU? The idea of having over 150k in debt is pretty discouraging, but I guess that's not outta the ordinary these days, huh?

So if NU gives a merit scholarship to someone who ends up not enrolling, will they give it to someone else?

Hey guys,

I did not get a merit scholarship and it turns out that they sent them all out. So if you havn't received one, no luck.

I didn't even get a need based grant, and without my parents helping me, I'll be in 250K debt. I got the "award" notification yesterday, expect I feel that giving me 65 grand in loans/yr is not an award.

Oh well. Hopefully the school will make up for my dreadful financial situation...

Hmm...how much is the average grant at NU? The idea of having over 150k in debt is pretty discouraging, but I guess that's not outta the ordinary these days, huh?

So if NU gives a merit scholarship to someone who ends up not enrolling, will they give it to someone else?

I have no idea. I was actually REALLY late with sending in my financial info so I'm not expecting a decision on finaid for at least another week.

Man, 150k just sounds like so much money!

Hey guys,

I did not get a merit scholarship and it turns out that they sent them all out. So if you havn't received one, no luck.

I didn't even get a need based grant, and without my parents helping me, I'll be in 250K debt. I got the "award" notification yesterday, expect I feel that giving me 65 grand in loans/yr is not an award.

Oh well. Hopefully the school will make up for my dreadful financial situation...

how do you know they've sent them all out? I really hope they have SOMETHING LEFT. Honestly even a 10k a year scholarship would tip the scales in favor of NU

Any money would tip it in favor of NU. I talked to the secretary. She's the one who told me :(

Thanks!

As fas as your last two questions......There is a peapod service in Chicago so you can def use that for groceries etc.

The public transportation system is really nice in Chicago. I lived out in the subarbs and there is always a way to get downtown by the L. As far as the lines closest to NU, I would say it would be the Red Line stop at Chicago. You would have to walk a couple of blocks east to hit the school from there. There are also a lot of different bus routes that go on Michigan Ave that you could take but I don't know them off the top of my head. Let me know if you have any more specific questions!

Thanks!

I agree with what above posters have said - you don't need a car (not that having one isn't nice). I've seen a lot of peapod deliveries in the area by Feinberg, so that's definitely an option. You could also use "iGo" which is one of those car borrowing services -- I think there's Zipcar here too. Or, if you live in Streeterville (the name of the neighborhood Feinberg is in) you'll likely be within walking distance of a grocery store. And if you decided to live in a different neighborhood, it's usually easy enough to find a place near a Jewel or Dominicks.

Also like the above post says, the red line (takes you north and south) is the closest to NU. The brown line (takes you north/northwest) is 5 blocks farther west. The Chicago bus #66 is also right by the campus and goes west. The #65 Grand can take you west as well. Lots of buses on Michigan Ave and Lake Shore Drive. Here's the system map from transitchicago.com: http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/maps/200804D.html