Northwestern University Second Look

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

04DukeBio

Insomniac Pomegranate
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Got accepted to NU back in November, but was lurking on SDN for a few months before getting myself an account. At the start of March, I received notification from NU about Second Look weekend. Just curious if any other SDN'ers are planning on heading to Chicago, Apr. 15-17.

On a side note, the way things are going with my WL situation, I could have a very tough decision if I am to jump off my WLs. My dilemma is between Washington University (St. Louis) and Northwestern... I've been accepted to NU, but WL'ed in the last acceptance phase (?) at Washington University. I've heard WU has a pretty good WL turnover rate, but I'm also pretty satisfied with NU... My interviews impressed me at both schools.

Geographic concerns? Student Life? Culture? I'm curious to see what people's opinions are about Chicago/NU and St. Louis/WU.

Thanks much. See you NU'ers in a month or so!

04DukeBio

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be at second look, although I am already here in Chicago. I want to get a feel for my future classmates. I am hoping they are as laid back as I am!

Since I am pretty much a Chicago native after 4 years here, I want to organize some excursions into the city for whoever wants to come. We should get a big group together and hit up some jazz clubs/blues clubs and then night clubs afterward. Anyone else want to help me plan this? I think it would be a great way to get to know eachother outside of the lectures/presentations we are probably going to attend.

Another 2nd look attendee here. I'm loving NU, and although some of my waitlist schools are logistically better for me, I'm pretty psyched to meet people and get more info on a school that impressed me so much at the interview. Auricae, I think that going out would be awesome. So, although I don't know anything about the area, count me in!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm signed up for the NU second look. However, yesterday I was accepted to Mayo - and I am pretty certain that I am going to go there. So it seems silly to still go to the second look, however, if I cancel then I have to pay the $265 for the airline ticket I won't use, but save two days of vacation. So, I am debting just going for a free weekend in Chicago to go and have fun and meet some cool people. If I go, I'm up for any extra activities that you might plan Auricae.

Thanks for the quick replies, y'all!

Being originally from West Virginia, I have absolutely no city sense, far less any great knowledge about Chicago. I got a prelim schedule from one of the organizers of 2nd Look, and it looks like most of the activities are happening during the day, Friday. And it's a pretty packed day. But I'd be happy to see who some of my potential classmates are (and hang out with those of you scoring a free weekend in Chicago on NU!)

I'm planning on scouting out some apartments Thursday morning and during the day, but after checking in Thursday night, I'm all up for exploring Chicago some more. It's still a while off.

04DukeBio

Hey guys!!! I'm all set to head up to Northwestern in April as well!! I'm definately hoping to meet some cool, laid back people too! I think I'm pretty much set on going to NU if I still like it as much as I did back during my interview in October...I'm excited to meet you all soon!!!

Hey guys!

I am going this April as well. I am looking forward to meeting all of you and revisiting Chicago...since I am not from Chicago I can't help plan anything but I am all for hanging out in some in the city! Keep us updated on any plans for the weekend? Any one have any idea of our schedule that weekend? See you all real soon!

mrb

It's nice to hear from you all!

Since not many of you are from the area, I don't mind figuring out the details. However, it would be helpful if you guys gave me a general picture of what you want to do (since it's Chicago, and the possibilities are endless). I will list just a few ideas below (my favorite destinations), and you guys can pick out the ones you like. I'll limit the choices to night activities, since I am assuming most of the day will be taken up with scheduled activities (although I have no idea what is planned for the weekend so don't hold me to that). Ill also include my own brief description of some of the places, although you can get more info at www.metromix.com. For those who are familiar with the area, feel free to offer your own suggestions.

Here we go:

Jazz Clubs:

Green Mill - One of the oldest jazz clubs in the world, this was a favorite hangout of Al Capone. On one of the piano's at the club is a picture of Al Capone there. Behind the bar is a secret underground exit that leads far away. Capone had this installed in case he needed to escape. The club is very cozy, warm and has an unparalleled "jazz" atmosphere. Dress ranges all across the spectrum, from jeans to suits. A good place to get a cigar, sit back and listen to music, but because the focus is on the music, it might not be the best place for a loud, large group.

Green Dolphin - A much larger club than the Green Mill and a bit more pretentious. However, it can accommodate more people and is a great place to grab dinner (Green Mill is bar only). A bit pricier as well. Expect more dressed up people here.

Blues Clubs:

Kingston Mine's: This is my favorite blue's club. If you like loud, edgy, in-your-face blues, where the crowd is screaming and drunk people are dancing, then this is your place. It's not as fancy as the jazz clubs, but offers a different atmosphere. Probably the best blues club in Chicago (and one of the best in the country).

House of Blues: Larger venue combined with Cajun food. Enough said.

Buddy Guy's Legends: Buddy Guy himself is known to frequent this bar pretty often. Apparently he is very sketchy and hits on all the girls. Watch out for Buddy.

Bars:
The Signature Room Bar (95th floor of the Hancock building): A great place to get a drink if you want to see the entire city of Chicago and the surrounding area. Although it's pricey, the view is worth it! Nothing beats sitting high up in the clouds looking down on the city and sipping a martini. Also, it's very close to the med school (5 min walk max)

Le Passage: Never been there but I have heard really good things. Combined after-work lounge, fine dining, and house dance music with French colonial decor.

The Apartment: A good dance club decorated in the style of an apartment (with beds and everything). However, I myself would hesitate to lie down on one of those beds.....

This is probably enough for now.

A thread I can get excited about =)

I'll be there in April and I'm already getting excited about doing the tourist-thing again in Chicago. Auricae, sounds like you're doing a pretty good job getting some ideas going for the weekend. I'm down with the blues scene so any of those places you mentioned sounds great for checking out some good music and good drinks. When we're all there in April, I'll have to pick your brain a little bit with regards to great nightscene places to go.

Is everyone else planning on staying with a student host? From what I heard, the program starts around 4pm on Thursday and activites are planned till noon on Saturday with evenings being left open for some R & R. This should give us all a decent amount of time to get acquainted with each other and hit the town. Anyone up for a Cubs game?

I'd be down with a Cubs game. Sadly, after being here for four years, I have yet to attend one. I wonder how hard it is to get tickets. Could we get them the same day or do we need to buy in advance?

I don't think I am staying with the med students downtown, since I am just a short El ride/NU shuttle away at the main campus. If people want to visit the main campus one night and check out the undergrad scene, I would be happy to show you around there too. Of course, as med students, we probably won't be up there that much, but you never know. I think we might do some stuff at the Evanston hospital 3rd year...

wow, any one of those blues and jazz clubs sound great...should be a fun weekend....does any one have any information on housing for the weekend?

Originally posted by mrbfour
wow, any one of those blues and jazz clubs sound great...should be a fun weekend....does any one have any information on housing for the weekend?

You should be paired up with current first years. We havent been told who we are paired up with yet though. That info should be out soon I'd imagine. So you will either be at the lake shore center, someone's apt, or if those options aren't appealing to you the Holiday Inn is right around the block from campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
great, thanks for the info UCLAMAN

Hey all.

A M2 from NU called me last night to see if I had any questions about Second Look. Apparently they're sending information packets to us around now, and they should have all the things we need to know about the visit.

She answered some questions about housing, a bit about scheduling and other stuff. Nothing too in depth, however.

Apparently, we should get shuttle vouchers from O'Hare to the GC area. That's pretty cool. I was already trying to figure out how to ride the L downtown, but I guess I can save myself that trouble. Since I come in to the airport early morning that Thursday, I guess I get to add 'Chicago Rush Hour Traffic' to my list of wonderful things to experience :)

Anyone interview around September 19 last year? Just curious. I don't recall the exact date, but I'd be interested to see if any accepted interviewees were also SDN'ers at my session.

04DukeBio

All these posts are getting me excited for the weekend! StrngoutAS, I would love to go to a Cubs game if we can tickets. In terms of clubs to go to, I don't really care where, as long as I'm in the city and getting to meet and hang out with you all. What are people's thoughts in terms of a living situation next year? Dorm? Apartment? Looking forward to meeting everybody!

I'm pretty much settled on NU, unless Washington U. decides to give me a friendly call.

I've looked into properties around the area, with comparable prices to the NU Dorm at Abbott. There's an intriguing possibility with 'McClurg Court,' which is located two blocks or so from the school and has pretty good prices, if you're willing to live with a smaller studio.

They have balconies, and the Odeon (apparently THE best theater in the Midwest) is in McClurg's basement. As well as other things like a bank, fitness center, etc. etc.

I was thoroughly unimpressed by the dormitories during my NU tour.

Anyways, the M2 mentioned that plenty NU med students live in that building, and the prices are pretty good, considering it's GC Chicago. They seem content enough.

I'm looking into that, and also some other complexes in the area.

04DukeBio

I know we're supposed to get information on apts off campus later on but I'm kinda eager to use Second Look Weekend to go scouting for places to live off campus while I"m there. I just want to get some info in terms of location, pricing, renting, buying, roommates etc. Does anyone have any info right now or is everyone waiting till we get there?

Nike, I'm down to play hooky and check out a Cubs game if you are =). I've always been a Braves fan (gasp, sacrilege) but now that Maddux is back in Chi-town I'm considering myself a newly crowned Cubs fan.

Also, when booking my airfare through NU Travel, I got stuck flying into Midway so I'm hoping there's going to be some sort of plan for those of us that are coming in from Southside. Anyone else?

StrngoutAS,

You can definitely use rent.com to search for some apartments. It gives you contact info and pretty good detail about most of the GC rental props. The students giving the tour told me that because of a lot of new 1.5M condos being built, the renter's market should be "better" than past years.

It's still pretty bad, though.

The majority of places I've found have studios for 900+/mo. They're puny, but it is GC Chicago, after all. In Durham, I pay 350/mo. for my 2BR/2BTH apt. now with my roommate. It's going to be a harsh transition.

Well, the dorms were about 825-900/mo, if I remember correctly, and I'd gladly pay a little extra to have a kitchen. And some extra space. And air conditioning. And cable.

I'd suggest searching away from the lake. It's pretty common sense, I know, but it seems like it tags on an extra hundred bucks or so just (perhaps) to have a lake view.

04DukeBio

Hey Duke,
You got a link to McClurg Court? Ideally, I'd like to find a place where other NU med students are living. Would I be wrong in assuming the majority of off campus students live in the GC region? I know there's a few options in terms of neighborhood but I don't wanna be left out in the cold from the group.

Hey guys,

A lot of students live in Onterie building. It's very close to the med school and has pretty big rooms for around 800. Also, you might want to check out Lakeshore Plaza (I think that's the right name). The rooms seem nicer, though smaller, and the view is better, but it's farther away. The best place to check IS rent.com.

Right now, I'm kind of debating between living in an apartment or living in the dorm freshman year. The only reason I would live in the dorm is to meet people. What do you guys think?

Sure thing.

This is the main website for the complex:

http://www.mcclurgcourt.com/ Warning: Cheesy Flash.

Auri, I had a similar conflict between dorm and "offcampus," based on the social aspect, but I think that as a medical student I'd be spending much of my time sealed up in my room with my door closed :) Not exactly conducive to socializing, I admit. I think there'll be enough interaction between students at the school and perhaps out and about in the city for students to get to know each other well.

Anyone posting here in that HMLE or HPLE whatsit joint undergrad/med school program?

04DukeBio

If you don't want to live downtown, there are oceans of listings for apartments in the Chicago Reader (www.chireader.com). If you get a roommate you can actually find large, affordable apartments all over the city. Some of the best neighborhoods are Lincoln Square, Andersenville, Wrigleyville, Bucktown, Wicker Park, Ukranian Village, Lincoln Park and Old Town.

I know it probably seems daunting to live a little farther from campus, but it is doable.

Let me know if you have any questions about particular neighborhoods.

did everyone get an email reminding them to send in financial aid stuff? just paranoid cause I already sent mine in and am worried that they didn't receive it. thanx

i live at lake shore plaza right now. if anyone has any questions hit me up on aim "oUCLAMANo" (those are letter o's)

if you use me as your referrer when you first walk into the building and then sign lease i get $500. I'll split that $500 down the middle with whoever uses me as their referrer. pm or IM me if you are interested.

word of advice...if your big sib lives inone of the buildings (onterie, mcclurg, lake shore plaza, 420 ohio, etc.) there are usually referral programs there so be sure to use their name when you first walk into the building and they(your big sib) will usually split the referrer bonus with you.

just to clarify...lake shore PLAZA is different from the lake shore CENTER. The lake shore CENTER is the crappy dorm building you guys were all taken to on the tour. lake shore PLAZA is an 40 story apt building with a lot of med students living in it. its on 445 east ohio. right around the corner from mcclurg.

Hey guys! I too would much rather live in an apartment (even if studios are small) so I can have cable and AC ect. I would definately be worried about the whole "meeting people" aspect of things if I do that though. Do you think that more M1s will start to live in apartments since the dorms are about the same price now?? I was figuring I would just wait until second look and see what most people were planning on doing. We should all just get together and live in the same apartment building and just make that our "dorm!"

Definitely got the financial aid e-mail.

I sent out my forms and sent my FAFSA in around February 29th of this year. So, I think it's probably a default e-mail. I already got my SAR, so I guess that means NU can go ahead and grab it when they feel like it. I also wrote an e-mail late last week to the financial aid folks in the main finance office, and hopefully they'll get back to me soon... they haven't yet.

I can see it now:
Feinberg M1s take over downtown Chicago apartment complex! Residents complain of giant anatomy diagram mural painted throughout hallways! Spent flashcards clog trash chute! Obscure biochem pathways scrawled in dry erase marker on windows! Caffeinated beverages mysteriously vanish from vending machines as soon as they're restocked!

04DukeBio

Damn it....

Cubs tickets are sold out all that weekend. The Reds were in town too. *sigh* We'll have to figure some other ways to kill our afternoons. I'm coming to the slow realization that it's gonna be next to impossible to get tickets this season since theyr'e selling like hotcakes.

In other news... they sent out a schedule for the weekend. Looks like pretty standard thoroughfare, although the two options I'm somewhat interested in conflict with each other timewise.

Have we got a decent list of things to do during our time there? I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck that weekend so I'm looking for any co-conspirators that wanna play hooky w/ me if things get a little monotonous.

I wonder how mandatory these events are? At the interview, we got a pretty good hour-and-a-half long speech about debt-capping, and it looks like Saturday's 'Financing your Medical Education' may be more of the same...

Hopefully NU's shuttles are both to and from our respective airports - I guess having four hours to 'enjoy Chicago' will be enough. Just don't want to get stranded ;)

04DukeBio

You can also take the el to and from the airports. It's very easy and pretty fast.

Originally posted by 04DukeBio
Hopefully NU's shuttles are both to and from our respective airports - I guess having four hours to 'enjoy Chicago' will be enough. Just don't want to get stranded ;)

04DukeBio
I'd just take the "el" if I were you. It'll take you straight to the airport, and cost either 1.75 or 2.00 depending on the route you take.

Originally posted by Auricae
It's nice to hear from you all!

Since not many of you are from the area, I don't mind figuring out the details. However, it would be helpful if you guys gave me a general picture of what you want to do (since it's Chicago, and the possibilities are endless). I will list just a few ideas below (my favorite destinations), and you guys can pick out the ones you like. I'll limit the choices to night activities, since I am assuming most of the day will be taken up with scheduled activities (although I have no idea what is planned for the weekend so don't hold me to that). Ill also include my own brief description of some of the places, although you can get more info at www.metromix.com. For those who are familiar with the area, feel free to offer your own suggestions.

Here we go:

Jazz Clubs:

Green Mill - One of the oldest jazz clubs in the world, this was a favorite hangout of Al Capone. On one of the piano's at the club is a picture of Al Capone there. Behind the bar is a secret underground exit that leads far away. Capone had this installed in case he needed to escape. The club is very cozy, warm and has an unparalleled "jazz" atmosphere. Dress ranges all across the spectrum, from jeans to suits. A good place to get a cigar, sit back and listen to music, but because the focus is on the music, it might not be the best place for a loud, large group.

Green Dolphin - A much larger club than the Green Mill and a bit more pretentious. However, it can accommodate more people and is a great place to grab dinner (Green Mill is bar only). A bit pricier as well. Expect more dressed up people here.

Blues Clubs:

Kingston Mine's: This is my favorite blue's club. If you like loud, edgy, in-your-face blues, where the crowd is screaming and drunk people are dancing, then this is your place. It's not as fancy as the jazz clubs, but offers a different atmosphere. Probably the best blues club in Chicago (and one of the best in the country).

House of Blues: Larger venue combined with Cajun food. Enough said.

Buddy Guy's Legends: Buddy Guy himself is known to frequent this bar pretty often. Apparently he is very sketchy and hits on all the girls. Watch out for Buddy.

Bars:
The Signature Room Bar (95th floor of the Hancock building): A great place to get a drink if you want to see the entire city of Chicago and the surrounding area. Although it's pricey, the view is worth it! Nothing beats sitting high up in the clouds looking down on the city and sipping a martini. Also, it's very close to the med school (5 min walk max)

Le Passage: Never been there but I have heard really good things. Combined after-work lounge, fine dining, and house dance music with French colonial decor.

The Apartment: A good dance club decorated in the style of an apartment (with beds and everything). However, I myself would hesitate to lie down on one of those beds.....

This is probably enough for now.

great help :thumbup:

what is this free NU shuttle people are talking about? I havent heard anything about them covering our cost from the airport to the school when we arrive/depart. anyone know details?

The free NU shuttle is from the undergrad campus in Evanston to the Chicago campus. As far as I know, there aren't any free shuttles from the Chicago/Evanston campuses to the airport. The El is the best bet here.

As far as having enough things to do, this should be the last of your worries. A bigger problem is getting a big group to decide on a single thing to do.

It would be great to get a lot of med students to live in one apartment building, but it might be hard to implement. I don't believe that many rooms will open up in a single building at one time, but I might be wrong.

I was thinking that maybe we could just rent out a room at a club for one night and get an open bar. If enough of us go, it should be really cheap to do that as a group.

Living off campus does not put you at an advantage for meeting people. I've lived off campus the whole year and feel like it was a great decision. I can make my apartment a 'school free zone' when I need to and my friends are all close enough (lake shore plaza, mcclurg and other close by buildings) that I feel like I can drop by and see them anytime. If you are hesitant about the dorms or if you've lived on your own for a while, I would really really think twice. I can't tell you the number of people who've tried to get out of their dorm contract midyear.

However, if you have never before lived by yourself or feel nervous about the idea of having your own apartment and taking on the new world of medical school, the dorms might be the right idea.

When you all talk to your hosts for second look, they should be able to let you know what the best route to/from the airport will be for the time you are coming in and the weather (el, shuttle, cab etc).

joker,

I got the shuttle info from an M2 who personally called me about a week or so ago. So, I'm taking her word that we're covered. But if not, the el should be no problem (from O'Hare, at least).

Has anyone received any paper documentation about this weekend?

04DukeBio

The blue line runs to O'Hare. The orange line runs to Midway.

Originally posted by manicmaven
Living off campus does not put you at an advantage for meeting people. I've lived off campus the whole year and feel like it was a great decision. I can make my apartment a 'school free zone' when I need to and my friends are all close enough (lake shore plaza, mcclurg and other close by buildings) that I feel like I can drop by and see them anytime. If you are hesitant about the dorms or if you've lived on your own for a while, I would really really think twice. I can't tell you the number of people who've tried to get out of their dorm contract midyear.

of all people my wife would know what it takes to get out of a housing contract. ;) :D

btw...do u mean "disadvantage" and not "advantage?" too much cranial nerve studying there. :D

Originally posted by UCLAMAN
of all people my wife would know what it takes to get out of a housing contract. ;) :D

That's still funny I think. So how much was the marriage license anyway?

I really wish I can go to NU on second look, kinda gives me an excuse to get outta L.A. for a few days...but oh well. I'm gonna be attending UCLA's second look instead on the same weekend.

Has anyone decided what option they are going to choose during the friday of second look weekend? Mock PBL, Research Opp. meeting, MD/MPH meeting, or MD/MBA meeting? or are most people planning on skipping these all together to check out Chicago?

Originally posted by mrbfour
Has anyone decided what option they are going to choose during the friday of second look weekend? Mock PBL, Research Opp. meeting, MD/MPH meeting, or MD/MBA meeting? or are most people planning on skipping these all together to check out Chicago?

I'm doing the MD/MBA meeting because I am interested in taking business classes. I'm not sure why they're doing the mock PBL . . . didn't everybody do that on their interview day?

Checking out the MD/MBA discussion. Had no idea NU students could take advantage of the Kellogg school like that, and it seems pretty interesting.

I'm saving my Chicago downtime for Thursday, Friday Night and Saturday. If the morning brunch is no biggie on Saturday, I'll use the morning to do some more apt. scouting... or recover from Friday night.

04DukeBio

... or recover from Friday night.

04DukeBio

Haha . . I can't wait to go out in the city! I may have to save Saturday morning for the same thing ;)

Checking out the MD/MBA discussion. Had no idea NU students could take advantage of the Kellogg school like that, and it seems pretty interesting.

I'm saving my Chicago downtime for Thursday, Friday Night and Saturday. If the morning brunch is no biggie on Saturday, I'll use the morning to do some more apt. scouting... or recover from Friday night.

04DukeBio

I think you should also use Friday morning to recover from Thursday night :laugh:

I think it would be really funny if the entire future class at NU showed up hungover to the presentations :clap:

Heh heh, so true, Auricae.

After everyone's interviews, a whole slew of M1s and M2s swept into the admissions office and invited the lot of us to 'corner of Rush and Division' (I had heard it as 'Russian Division :p'). I'm sure there are, but any places of interest anyone recommends?

04DukeBio

I'm pretty sure the second look coordinators are picking/have picked bars/clubs for each night you guys are here. Its a fun time drinking up with all of your future classmates. But if you really want to freelance and visit different bars/clubs thats cool too. You'll miss out on the drink specials tho and you wont get to down shots of tequila with as many of your future classmates as possible. :D

Originally posted by UCLAMAN
I'm pretty sure the second look coordinators are picking/have picked bars/clubs for each night you guys are here. Its a fun time drinking up with all of your future classmates. But if you really want to freelance and visit different bars/clubs thats cool too. You'll miss out on the drink specials tho and you wont get to down shots of tequila with as many of your future classmates as possible. :D

I'll be sure to bring my digital camera =)

I really need to get a digital camera, if only to record the debauchery that will surely come to pass in the future... Any suggestions for a pretty cheap but good camera?

Depends on what you consider cheap... I have a HP Photosmart 435, and as digital cameras go, it's fairly affordable at 149.99 (at least, that's what it is listed as at HP.com). It also looks snazzy, and is light and durable. One plus is a recessed lens, so you don't accidentally smudge it with one misplaced grasp.

It's definitely not high end, but it does the job. The pictures are more pixelated than I'd like. I received this as a gift, so I probably would have shelled out extra to get a more expensive model... but for everyday use, this is ok.

Unfortunately, installing the 'instantshare' software also installed some other HP programs onto my comp, and I'm not certain what they're doing. :p Argh, I'm not a computer person. Also, this camera drains AA batteries like crazy.

04DukeBio