Northwestern University Second Look

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, April came up fast, didn't it?

I can't believe I'll be trekking back to Chicago in about a week... I'm pretty excited about meeting my future classmates. Has anyone received any more notification from the 2nd Look coordinators regarding transportation? Any solid, paper mailings?

I've got one e-mail inviting me to a minority dinner, but nil about any shuttle service... And apart from the schedule from Hallen, little else. Watch a packet be in my mailbox at my apartment :D

Chicago natives, what would be the best kind of clothes to pack? The September interview I went to was during great weather - sunny, maybe around 58 degrees F, sunny and not too windy. From what I've heard, that was uncharacteristic. In NC, it's mostly hot and humid, with a smattering of hurricanes.

I'm thinking of doing plenty of walking, and I may consider going to a club or lounge. I'm not too familiar with the 'scene,' so I have no idea what's appropriate and what's not.

Thanks much, see y'all soon,

04DukeBio

Members don't see this ad.

Duke,
Let me know when you plan on going browsing for apartments... I think I'm leaning towards McClurg at this point but I'd like to check out lake shore plaza too. As for drinks/clubs/lounges, I don't think we'll have a problem from what everyone's been saying... looking forward to hitting the bottle w/ my future classmates.

Hey guys! I'm excited about heading up to Chicago next week as well! Along the lines of what to wear...what are you guys planning on wearing at the scheduled stuff like the reception and all of the stuff on Friday? Do you think jeans are alright...or should we dress a little nicer than that???

So is everyone planning on doing the apartment thing rather than the dorm??? I haven't decided 100% yet...but I'm leaning toward Onterie or McClurg as well

Can't wait to meet you guys next week!!! LORI

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm bringing casual clothes plus some stuff to go out at night... that should suffice.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Originally posted by 04DukeBio

I can't believe I'll be trekking back to Chicago in about a week... I'm pretty excited about meeting my future classmates. Has anyone received any more notification from the 2nd Look coordinators regarding transportation? Any solid, paper mailings?

I've got one e-mail inviting me to a minority dinner, but nil about any shuttle service... And apart from the schedule from Hallen, little else. Watch a packet be in my mailbox at my apartment :D

Chicago natives, what would be the best kind of clothes to pack? The September interview I went to was during great weather - sunny, maybe around 58 degrees F, sunny and not too windy. From what I've heard, that was uncharacteristic. In NC, it's mostly hot and humid, with a smattering of hurricanes.

I'm thinking of doing plenty of walking, and I may consider going to a club or lounge. I'm not too familiar with the 'scene,' so I have no idea what's appropriate and what's not.

04DukeBio

Ya I got the message for the minority dinner as well...are you thinking of going?

Originally posted by 04DukeBio

04DukeBio

Ya I got the message for the minority dinner as well...are you thinking of going?

I dunno yet, I might.

I want to see if any other dinner offers come in first before I RSVP, we've got 'til next Wednesday, I believe.

I guess casual, casual formal, and a club outfit/lounge would be best for me. Gotta pack everything into my poor little rolling suitcase that has accompanied me on all those interview trips. I'm going to retire it after this is all over, unless it falls apart first.

04DukeBio

Anybody know of any websites for Onterie or Lake Shore Plaza by any chance? A search on Rent.com oddly doesn't pick up Lake shore Plaza and I'm trying to find some bigger pictures of all the gold coast area apartments.

Hey guys! I'll also be at Second Look, I'm getting really excited. :) Is anyone going to be getting there early? I'm going to be in Chicago around around 1 in the afternoon on the 15th...does anyone want to hang out/explore?

I'll be arriving into Midway around noon and probably get into the downtown area sometime around 1 so I'm open to do a little exploring in the afternoon.

Arriving at O'Hare at 9, anticipate a 10-10:30 arrival in the city. Got myself an appointment with a McClurg Court rep around 11 am, but afterwards should be free, unless I get some other rental/real estate appointments.

04DukeBio

Read over the attachment on my e-mail... Ah, so much for the 'shuttle arrangements' they made for us. Apparently it's not quite NU covered! They want us to bring sleeping bags! I don't even own one, albeit one that could fit in the one piece of luggage I own. Perhaps a larger suitcase is in order...

What do y'all think about taking a large suitcase onto the L from O'Hare is? Risky? Or should I be ok?

Shuttles cost about 20$ one way from O'Hare to NU, 15$ one way from Midway. They give us pretty good details on how to use the L to get downtown, though, so I'm going to try that.

::shrugs::

Oh well.

04DukeBio

Risky how? Like you're afraid you'll get robbed?

Just my irrational fear. I've always been intimidated by crowds, not too used to public transit.

Should be fine. :p

04DukeBio

The el is very safe. I've taken it at least twice a day for years and never had a problem (except for the occasional annoying delay).

The only time I wouldn't take the el alone would be very late at night. (like midnight or later). Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

The blue line from O'Hare to downtown is fine. There will likely be lots of people on the train and it doesn't even run through any poor neighborhoods.

bump...

Anyone else get host info? I lucked out and got UCLAMAN himself.

StrngoutAS said:
bump...

Haven't heard back from mine yet. I just hope she lives near the school! Hallen's offhand remark that those who don't live downtown will help with travel arrangements scared me!! It would suck to be really far away. I'm getting really excited tho... just a few more days!

StrngoutAS said:
bump...

He just moved to a new apartment and I saw the pictures in the brochure, it looks terrific! I think you'll like staying over there. He used to live in Lake Shore Center and that place is sorta ghetto.

I got my host info...I guess I'm a little unlucky because my host lives 20 minutes away in wrigleyville. Oh well, at least I'll get to see some other parts of Chicago I guess...see you all soon!!!