Northwestern vs Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angel52776

Bob Loblaw Law Blog
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to jump on the x school vs y school thread bandwagon, but I am struggling with this decision a bit and would like some input from some helpful SDNers

Both schools are offering me small scholarships that cover about a quarter of total costs. The scholarship to Northwestern is slightly bigger, but cost of living definitely makes up for it. Plus I'm not too terribly worried about cost differences.

I feel like Pitt is a slightly better program and UPMC is an awesome hospital system. I just can't get over how much more I loved downtown Chicago than Pittsburgh. Should that be enough of a factor to sway me to Northwestern?

Any input would be nice, thanks guys! :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

If cost is not a factor, I personally think there are only two things that matter: reputation and location. For me, Feinberg's location was the clincher since I didn't feel that the other schools I was considering had an overwhelming edge in terms of reputation. So yes, location can be enough of a factor. Of course you're not me, so you'll have to decide how important it is.

Since the two schools are so similar academics/clinical training/research wise, I'd go Northwestern for location, just more options for fun and relaxation in case you need a break.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'll just add that you would have better outdoor opportunities at pitt. also consider that if you want to live in feinberg's area of chicago, you're gonna pay a premium for it.

i'd say northwestern. similar program, better location.

This is definitely one of those decisions that has to come from personal preference / gut feeling. It sounds to me like you are leaning towards Northwestern, and hoping someone will either agree with that, or come up with some amazing justification for you to go to Pitt.

You can't go wrong with either decision. We're talking about two schools that are equivalent is just about every regard, except for the experience during the clinical years. UPMC has a monopoly on health care in Western Pennsylvania, whereas Northwestern students have to share experiences with the other med schools in the Chicago area. So, one could argue that Pitt has the advantage in the clinical years.

You just need to decide whether or not you want to live in a less than ideal location for you to experience that advantage (if, in fact, it does exist).

I think you would be very happy at Northwestern!