Northwestern vs. Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paxel

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I could not be more satisfied with my application cycle and I am incredibly grateful to have the choice between the following schools. I'm interested in pursuing ophthalmology and in getting involved with medical device development/technology later on. Previously, I was already leaning toward Northwestern because it felt the best in terms of fit, but Sinai recently announced an Enhanced Scholarship Initiative (ESI) that I am qualified for which has made this decision tough for me. I will also have ~12k in undergrad loans by the time I started medical school. In terms of residency, I can see myself in the Midwest but definitely not NY. I'm from South Florida so I ultimately want to match back there.

Northwestern
Pros
+ Slightly better reputation (?) in terms of residency director scores
+ New research building opening soon (research opportunities may be something to consider if I'm thinking about a competitive specialty)
+ Great and personable faculty (I felt like mentorship was a lot stronger here at Northwestern and they really made an effort to connect their students with their interests)
+ Better fit in terms of the curriculum
+ Location (I really like Chicago more than NYC)
+ Got the sense administration is more organized
+ Good impression of potential classmates during second look

Cons
- More expensive option (~200k in loans over four years and they've said they can't improve my aid package)
- I liked the brief PBL session but I heard that it's an inefficient mode of learning since there is so much material to cover in med school
- The biggest complaint I've heard from current students is the mandatory learning sessions and reflections
- Since it's in an affluent area I've heard patient population isn't exactly the most diverse?

Sinai
Pros
+ Cheaper option due to ESI (guaranteed to graduate with a maximum of 75K in loans)
+ Focused on student wellness
+ Location (probably the only time in my life I will be able to live next to Central Park for such an affordable price and they're also renovating their student housing)
+ Med students live in the same building so I feel like the class becomes very connected
+ More flexible curriculum and testing (not sure how I would do with more freedom but I believe I'm someone who performs better under a specific structure)
+ Seemed like students got a lot of feedback and input into the curriculum
+ Standalone med school so all the resources will be directed toward med students and I won't be competing with undergrads

Cons
- Dorm-style living?
- Research facilities aren't as nice?
- School seems more social justice minded and I don't particularly have any strong interests in that area
- I'm worried NYC will be overwhelming for me and I'm not about the night life or going out

I would absolutely appreciate any advice/comments/corrections that anyone can offer. Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

what are the match lists for optho like?

i'd say sinai based on cost but NYC living might actually end up more than u expect if ur not careful

I’m also picking between NW and a cheaper school. If the other school were of a much lower tier than I’d go NW. However, in this case both of these schools are great and I don’t think you should worry about regional bias too much. You’ll be able to match wherever. The real question is if the difference in cost matters to you.

I’m also picking between NW and a cheaper school. If the other school were of a much lower tier than I’d go NW. However, in this case both of these schools are great and I don’t think you should worry about regional bias too much. You’ll be able to match wherever. The real question is if the difference in cost matters to you.
I went into this cycle with the lowest of expectations for financial aid from medical schools. Thus, in early April I had already been preparing myself for the reality of taking up a significant six-figure loan. If the question is whether I'm comfortable with the cost of NW, I'd like to say yes. I want to say that the debt would be manageable since it's the norm for the majority of medical students. However, my main challenge with the difference in cost is that I am not sure whether I am underestimating the impact of such a financial burden in the future. I'm still young and I can't completely understand how it'll affect me in my later stages of life when I am trying to establish myself. Am I being naive? Moreover, I feel like this is an opportunity that not a lot of people are fortunate enough to have and that I should leap at such a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
what are the match lists for optho like?

i'd say sinai based on cost but NYC living might actually end up more than u expect if ur not careful
Within the past few years, both schools has matched a similar amount of student into ophtho. With NW matching slightly more students, but a few Sinai students matching into seemingly slightly "better" programs. In both schools, there's a consistent amount of students that stay within the area, Midwest and East Coast respectively. What do you think? I'm not too sure how you compare match lists because I feel like it depends on each year's class profile with regard to the number of students interested in the field and the location of where they want to be at that stage of their life.

Sinai is way cheaper, and you’ll have more than enough opportunities for research there. NYC might be overwhelming, but a lot of your classmates are in the same boat. I’d choose Sinai.

Reactions: 1 users