Northwestern vs. USC (full tuition scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Northwestern vs. USC

• Northwestern

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • USC (full tuition scholarship)

Votes: 70 87.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kanzeon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I was super excited today when I got off the waitlist at Northwestern--it was definitely my top choice in many many aspects. A couple of hours after I got in though, USC called me up and offered me a full tuition scholarship if I stay--so now I am really torn. I guess this is a case of following my heart vs. my brains. USC would be greater than 200K cheaper not including interest if Northwestern offers me nothing (which they probably won't).

I guess I'm really just looking for someone to yell at me and tell me I'm crazy to turn down all that money so that I don't follow my heart and regret it later. I already know I love Northwestern and would pick them in a heartbeat over USC if it weren't for the money (but it's not like I didn't like USC or anything)... what would you do? Did anybody face a similar situation and how did you go? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

where do you want to practice, if Cali, easily USC

Go to USC, go practice in Chicago when you are older if you really want to. You'll be much happier with an extra $2,440 a month in your pocket for a full decade than by any additional benefit you'll gain by going to USC instead of Northwestern.

Plus, the lack of debt means you can choose academics or a low-paying specialty without feeling any significant hardship if you want to.

Members don't see this ad :)
You would be crazy to turn down a full scholarship. Medical school is a product, and you are being offered a great product for free with USC.

LAC+USC is an amazing place for clinical training. The full tuition scholarship for such an expensive school is not something to turn down lightly.

I guess I'm really just looking for someone to yell at me and tell me I'm crazy to turn down all that money so that I don't follow my heart and regret it later. I already know I love Northwestern and would pick them in a heartbeat over USC if it weren't for the money (but it's not like I didn't like USC or anything)... what would you do? Did anybody face a similar situation and how did you go? Thanks.

YOU'D BE CRAZY TO TURN DOWN ALL THAT MONEY!!! :mad:

You're welcome

This is a no brainer...lucky you

I never post on SDN, but go to SC! It's a private research school with a huge public hospital right in its back yard. You can't beat that. Your clinical experience will be robust, and you'll be involved in mandatory research (you'll probably be published too). You can't beat LA either. It was my too choice, but I didn't get in. How did you not fall in love with Keck after interviewing there? Plus, it's FREE!

Just saying, I wouldnt mind being a trojan for four years, its FULL TUITION

Turning down a full tuition scholarship would be an epic mistake. Ask any physician you know and I am sure they will tell you - given the similar great quality in schools - to minimize your debt at all costs.

I know you love northwestern, but I'm sure you'll meet great people and enjoy your time at USC. Plus saving 220k will give you a lot of happiness later on (car, house, multiple vacations, retirement, financial freedom to chose a lower paying specialty if that's your passion).

Northwestern has now offered me a small 40K merit scholarship which just makes the decision more difficult for me. I know logically though I should just choose USC...

If this were my choice, it would break my heart to not get to go to Feinberg. The location and hospitals are unbeatable. BUUUUT, med school for free? And a really good school, at that. The choice is clear.

I'm going to be applying to both schools this cycle, can you share some of your stats that earned you a full ride? Maybe PM me if you're not comfortable sharing publicly.

Members don't see this ad :)
What if you could choose between USC and Northwestern, no scholarships or anything, but if you choose USC I'll give you $300000 in cash.

SInce when Does USC or NW give out aid?? I heard they have some of the worst aid packages, you must be a valedictorian or something.

Never underestimate the value of being debt-free.

Being debt free = not having to pay $1000-4000 per month in student loans. Think about what you can do each month with that money for you, your partner, and your family. 4 years is a short amount of time and to choose between whether or not to spend the rest of your life debt free should be a no brainer.

Also, if you want to end up in CA for residency, then go to USC hands down. LAC+USC is awesome, Children's hospital LA is the best in the west, and living in LA will give you just as many things to do as Chicago, except LA has beaches.

Being debt free = not having to pay $1000-4000 per month in student loans. Think about what you can do each month with that money for you, your partner, and your family. 4 years is a short amount of time and to choose between whether or not to spend the rest of your life debt free should be a no brainer.

Also, if you want to end up in CA for residency, then go to USC hands down. LAC+USC is awesome, Children's hospital LA is the best in the west, and living in LA will give you just as many things to do as Chicago, except LA has beaches.

Quick geography lesson: You can see some of Chicago's beaches from Feinberg.

It sounds to me like you're just not that excited about Keck. I loved Keck, and I would have gone there if I had been accepted. Just go to Northwestern and let somebody else graduate debt free from Keck

It sounds to me like you're just not that excited about Keck. I loved Keck, and I would have gone there if I had been accepted. Just go to Northwestern and let somebody else graduate debt free from Keck

It does not work like that. If he/she did not get off the waitlist at Northwestern he/she would have NEVER gotten the full ride from USC. Like I said USC is one of the more expensive schools and they DON'T give out good aide, so they must really like this individual.

USC probably has more prestige on the West Coast anyways (to the lay, and probably equal prestige to the non-lay).

NW is one of those schools that lay people don't know about unless they live on the East coast, kinda like Cal-Tech for eastcoasters.

USC is an awesome insitution + is famous because of football etc.

USC probably has more prestige on the West Coast anyways (to the lay, and probably equal prestige to the non-lay).

NW is one of those schools that lay people don't know about unless they live on the East coast, kinda like Cal-Tech for eastcoasters.

USC is an awesome insitution + is famous because of football etc.

Well nowadays, caltech gets more recognition thanks to TBBT. :D

It's kinda understandable- he/she mentioned that Northwestern was a top choice. Since Keck is your top choice, imagine if you got into another (perhaps lesser ranked or in a crappier location or whatever your important criteria is) medical school that gave you a full ride and you have to pay a (almost) full tuition for Keck..

By the way, I honestly love your enthusiasm regarding USC!!

It's kinda understandable- he/she mentioned that Northwestern was a top choice. Since Keck is your top choice, imagine if you got into another (perhaps lesser ranked or in a crappier location or whatever your important criteria is) medical school that gave you a full ride and you have to pay a (almost) full tuition for Keck..

By the way, I honestly love your enthusiasm regarding USC!!

I loved Keck, but I'd pick the free tuition any day!

Quick geography lesson: You can see some of Chicago's beaches from Feinberg.

I'm sure those beaches in Chicago will be real nice during the winter :thumbdown:

Come to LA and you can wear shorts and go to the beach in January. But as far as the school itself, USC is actually really good (at least top 40 IMO), and LAC-USC hospital is a great place for training.

Even though I'm a UCLA alum (and technically don't like USC), still, definitely choose USC here.

NW is just as well known as USC and we're also talking about med school here, not college. Have you considered the strengths of each school (ie: Feinberg has more research opportunities) and the match list?

Status
Not open for further replies.