Northwestern vs. Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

llessur

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between Northwestern and Wayne State and am having a hard time. I would appreciate any comments you may have...

I am a Michigan resident and Wayne State will be significantly cheaper (not to mention the cost saved by renting in vacant Detroit vs. Chicago).

Northwestern made the worst impression a school could possibly make during my interview. The students seemed entitled, wealthy, and conceited. My interviewers were challenging and confrontational (I'm not sure how I actually got admitted after my interview performance?). My interview was also my first visit to Chicago, I was rather overwhelmed by the cost and opulence of the city (from small rural MI town).

I did not get this feeling at Wayne...

While I realize NU is a much better school, I'm not sure that this is worth the extra 80-100K and the concerns I have about fitting in and being happy.

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to decide between Northwestern and Wayne State and am having a hard time. I would appreciate any comments you may have...

I am a Michigan resident and Wayne State will be significantly cheaper (not to mention the cost saved by renting in vacant Detroit vs. Chicago).

Northwestern made the worst impression a school could possibly make during my interview. The students seemed entitled, wealthy, and conceited. My interviewers were challenging and confrontational (I'm not sure how I actually got admitted after my interview performance?). My interview was also my first visit to Chicago, I was rather overwhelmed by the cost and opulence of the city (from small rural MI town).

I did not get this feeling at Wayne...

While I realize NU is a much better school, I'm not sure that this is worth the extra 80-100K and the concerns I have about fitting in and being happy.

I think 20 years from now you will regret not going to Northwestern. It will open so many doors for you that Wayne State won't. And, in the long run, while 80-100k is A LOT, you only have one chance to go to medical school and you should try and end up where you want to be.

If you're interested in something like family medicine, I wouldn't worry too much. But almost any other specialty, including pediatrics and IM...Northwestern will give you significant advantages.

Go to second look weekend and talk with students again. If you absolutely can't stand the environment, there's no point in having a miserable 4 years. But, definitely in a place like Chicago, you can choose to have a life outside of your medical school peers and they don't have to be the people you hang out with all the time.

I wouldn't throw away an amazing opportunity just for fears of fitting in. Sometimes, it's the leap of faiths that help you grow as a person and you emerge better for it. Good luck!

agreed. There will be plenty of students at NW who will have similar background as you. and the city is intimadating at first but it can also be a lot of fun. This is an amazing opportunity that you have WORKED HARD for. I think you will regret it in the future if you give it up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.