Northwestern Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ndbosma04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know any specific information on Northwestern's waitlist? As in who I should send a letter of intent to or anything (ie who signed the acceptance letters)? Thanks so much for any information. Northwestern is my first choice and I'm really hurting on this waitlist :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there. I'm on the waitlist too. Did you receive any kind of confirmation from NU after you sent in your letter indicating an intent to remain on the WL?
I didn't, but I wondered if that was normal. Thx.

Regarding the waitlist, traditionally it has been unranked and there have been a ton of people on it. It seems that a number of people on SDN have withdrawn from the WL, though, so maybe this year is different. It also seemed like a lot of people here were outright rejected post-interview, which was strange considering what NU said about rejecting only 10% or so.

I would send your letter to Dean Brown.

I didn't receive any confirmation after I sent back my alternate letter either, so hopefully that is the norm

Members don't see this ad :)
i also did not recieve a confirmation letter.

Thanks.

Can anyone who was accepted and went to the second-look weekend comment on what most folks were thinking -- was everyone really set on NU, or were there many who were actively considering/leaning toward other schools.

starfruit said:
Thanks.

Can anyone who was accepted and went to the second-look weekend comment on what most folks were thinking -- was everyone really set on NU, or were there many who were actively considering/leaning toward other schools.

from what i heard many of the people who went to second look knew they were coming to NU...perhaps ctwickman can confirm or deny.

i cant speak for this year's first year class but i know for my class the waitlist moved a total of 2 people. the year before it moved about 2 or 3 people as well.

but keep sending those letters in...you never know what could happen.

good luck

It looked to me that many people knew they were coming this year, at least compared to the vibe I got last year. But don't fret, because we had far less people show up for 2nd look weekend this year because I heard we accepted far less people, AND the weather couldn't have been worse for 2nd look, which I know will scare away at least one or two extra wussies. :D

Last year they accepted too many people, so our class size went 12 over capacity. I think they may have changed up the formula this year--rejected more, accepted less, and waitlisted more. Anything can happen.

Thanks for the insight, guys.

how big is your class size this year? i think i remember reading 187, but i could be totally wrong.
NU is still my top choice and I've made it pretty clear with them, hopefully I'll get promoted this week, so I'll let them know that, too. I feel confident and I really hope I get in...

If it's your top choice and you don't get in, just re-apply. A year is not that long of a time out of your life and will give you time to grow, and you'll come into the application process a lot wiser on what to do and what not to do. Just a thought. Good luck!

Just keep the letters coming in if you're on the waitlist and you really want to attend. I'd send them to Dr. Brown, the director of admissions.

Wrigleyville said:
Just keep the letters coming in if you're on the waitlist and you really want to attend. I'd send them to Dr. Brown, the director of admissions.

I got in off the waitlist last year, and turned it down so it moved at least 2 slots last year...I did send in a letter of interest and made sure they knew it was my first choice. I also sent a supplemental letter of recc from a supervisor to show what I had been up to in the 6 mos since interviews. Good Luck

^ How could it be your first choice if you got in and didn't matriculate?

Members don't see this ad :)
NU's waitlist is starting to move. The dean called me yesterday! :) Good luck to all those who are waiting to hear!

COngrats!

Did you send any sort of update after being waitlisted?

Eyesayah55 said:
NU's waitlist is starting to move. The dean called me yesterday! :) Good luck to all those who are waiting to hear!

Congratulations, that is wonderful news! I was just wondering if you could let us know how you went about getting off that list. Thanks and congrats again.

Hey Jojo and Starfruit!

I actually only sent one update and that was four days ago. I don't even think that they had a chance to read it. While I was waiting I called every two weeks to let them know I was still interested in attending (I think that they take note of these calls but I'm not sure).

i posted this in another thread, but i hope this helps some of you still waiting on NWU!

i called the admissions office on friday to express my continued interest, which i had been doing for the past few weeks. my heart sank when i was told that there had been some waitlist movement already and i hadn't received any notice yet. but then this morning dean brown called! i can't believe it!!! i'll spare the details of my excitement - instead i'll outline what i've been doing.... for posterity's sake

1. immediately sent letter of intent with alternate list acceptance form
2. moped and pulled out my hair for 3 weeks
3. sent in an update letter early april with an additional rec letter from work
4. a few days later sent in another rec letter that i got from school (but just didnt send it in beforehand)
5. beginning early april, started calling once a week to express continued interest
6. got in may 17th!

good luck to the rest of you!

Got off the waitlist yesterday! I am so excited, i cannot believe it.
Here is what I did:
- sent 2 letters showing extreme interest (one in April, one 2 weeks ago)
- sent an additional rec from a professor
- had a family friend doctor from northwestern email the dean on my behalf
Good luck to all the rest of you! I hope this helps.

Congrats guys. I know you evendry were totally freakin' out way back when! Now look at you! You can relax now! :D

One thing I know about this school is they read everything you write them, and if you really want to go here and you show them, it is to your sincere advantage. Like anything, why would they want to admit people who aren't enthusiastic for the school? Getting a class of people who are enthusiastic to go here makes for a lot happier, more fun class to work with and be in. You guys will have a blast.

Just ridiculous. I got the call from Dean Brown this afternoon. I can't wait to start living in Chicago.

Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Oh yeah, for the people who're interested, I just did the standard waitlist stuff — sent a few update letters, called a few times, and sent an extra letter of rec.

I was on 5 waitlists with 0 acceptances. It's pretty weird to go from worrying this morning about what I would do next year if I didn't get in anywhere to getting into my top choice in the afternoon. Unbelievable!

anybody get good news since may?

I actually got off the waitlist yesterday (i think my screaming must have hurt dean brown's ears). i started sending a letter of interest once a week for 3 weeks, and called about 4 times total. I also sent an extra recommendation letter way back in April.

also, i asked last week about the status of the waitlist, and the secretary said that there were about 150 people still on the waitlist, and about 20 people have been accepted off the waitlist so far. hope this helps!

I just got off the waitlist on 6/24. I'm so excited to go. I sent a letter of intent/letter of continued interest about two weeks ago and also called a week and a half ago. I guess that was enough! Amazing to go from being on one waitlist with no acceptances to being accepted to my first choice