Not a drug *allergy,* but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

closertofine

Emerging from hibernation
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
would a bad side effect from one drug be likely to occur if you gave another drug in the same class? More specifically, if someone had nausea and vomiting from one sulfa drug...and you were going to try a different sulfa drug, for a different indication, different type of drug except for the sulfa moiety (e.g. Bactrim vs Zonisamide)...would they be likely to get the nausea and vomiting again?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not necessarily. For example: if I take Vicodin I projectile vomit like a pro. I could probably hit a target 6 feet away. I also walk into walls - not because I don't see them, but because I just don't *care* that they're there. However, I haven't had the same reaction on any other narcotic or pain medication so far.

closertofine said:
would a bad side effect from one drug be likely to occur if you gave another drug in the same class? More specifically, if someone had nausea and vomiting from one sulfa drug...and you were going to try a different sulfa drug, for a different indication, different type of drug except for the sulfa moiety (e.g. Bactrim vs Zonisamide)...would they be likely to get the nausea and vomiting again?

Thanks!

As far as non-allergic rxns, no, not necessarily.

Members don't see this ad :)
closertofine said:

Thanks!

I agree with the other posts...not necessarily. For example, some drugs in a class may have less adverse effects. For example, Ampicillin vs. Amoxil causing diarrhea. Some patients may have continued sensitivity to other drugs in the same class. It just depends on individual patient factors.

The other thing to consider is that each time you show the body the same antigenic stimulus or a similar one, there is the possibility of the reaction worsening.

-Mike

Chronic Student said:
The other thing to consider is that each time you show the body the same antigenic stimulus or a similar one, there is the possibility of the reaction worsening.

-Mike

True for allergic reactions, not for adverse effects.

That's a mighty fine hair your splitting!

The example used was N/V, which can be an allergic response or an adverse effect.

-Mike

It really is not a fine hair though. Adverse effects are not immunologically mediated while allergic effects are. So, because the mechanisms are different, the body is sensitized to allergic effects but is not sensitized to adverse effects in the same way.

The example used was N/V, which can be an allergic response or an adverse effect.

Once again, I refer to the example used and I was replying to that specific example.

Otherwise, you are 100% correct.

Although, it's very hard to distinguish in-between the two when the patient is in front of you and that is their only symptom.

-Mike