1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Not a lurker anymore :)

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by djbacklash, May 1, 2004.

1. djbacklash

djbacklash Member
    5+ Year Member

Hi everyone!

Found this forum by doing a google the other day..came across UT-Frank's thread where he said he accepted his invite to UT yet now wants to pursue optometry. Glad you got in Frank! But if you decide not to go, I may have to kick your butt for hogging a seat lol :)

UT Austin was the only pharm school I applied to, and I had my interview April 17th I think. Like most of you, I still haven't heard back :(

I can't help but feel optimistic, but I'm definitely not going to be a happy camper if I don't get in lol! I graduated with a BA in a totally different field a few years ago, and have spent the last three years taking all the pre-reqs for pharm school. Have also been doing biomedical research in a pharmacology lab at UT Southwestern Medical School. My pre-req gpa is a less than stellar 3.2-3.3 though because my mom was diagnosed with cancer the semester I started up school again, and she passed away a few months later. My grades definitely took a dive. PCAT was a disappointing (to me) 94 because I bombed the chem section (due to poor time management, not general stupidity lol!).

Anyway, it's great to see so many possible UT pharm students in here! I really hope we all get in and can meet up sometime soon, maybe before the semester starts..esp since I don't know squat about Austin heheh

EDIT: Oh and is anyone else here interested in the PharmD/PhD program or in specializing in nuclear pharmacy after obtaining the PharmD? I don't plan on doing retail work, since my end goal has always been to become active in the cancer field, both in helping patients and in researching new meds.

EDIT 2: took out the "crappy" ..sorry bout that!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. emogrrrrl

emogrrrrl I like my freedom
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Nice to see another potential UT-Austin student. Although, I have to say you should be careful in saying your GPA and PCAT scores are crappy. Those are competitive stats...plus I have to take personal offense b/c my composite PCAT is the same and my GPA isn't too much higher than yours, 3.4, and I feel that I'm a reasonable candidate.
    I saw that as well about UT-Frank and it's a bit frustrating to know that alot of people on this forum and elsewhere want pharmacy as their definite career and others are taking up their spots that still aren't sure what they want to do.
    Anyways...good luck.

4. sweetcalie08

sweetcalie08 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes, please be careful with saying your PCAT scores are crappy. I was somewhat pleased when my PCAT was still in the 80's. :oops: Now I'm feeling kinda bad about myself at the moment. I did not practice ONE MINUTE for my PCAT, so I suppose I would've hopefully gotten in the 90's with some preparation. My school's COP avg PCAT is an 82 and that's what I got so I'm still happy about that! Although I'm sure most SDN pre-pharms got in the 90s. :scared: Hmm... but still, I did score above over 81 percent of the test-takers didn't I? :rolleyes: Is an 82 THAT bad? I had to Christmas-tree in 15 of the math questions since I didn't really understand the percent of a fraction crap, which there was a lot of (remember I didn't practice). I did the best on the chem section and the worst on the quantitative. I guess I'm relieved to see that chem was the best! :) Trying to think positive...grin and bear...trying to think positive...

PS- For those of you who know my conditionally accepted story, this PCAT was only for if I lose that conditional acceptance and have to reappy next year. (Hopefully my ~3.82 composite gpa will help though)

To the OP, I think you'll be in FINE shape with a 94! R-E-L-A-X! :p

5. djbacklash

djbacklash Member
    5+ Year Member

Oh I'm sorry..I didn't mean to say that my score was crappy..it's just that I *BOMBED* the chem section! I mean, it was like a 67 whereas all the other sections were in the 90s, so that really threw off my score. I went in thinking I'd be happy with an 85+, and I would have been ecstatic with my score had I not realized how much better I would have done if I hadn't wasted so much time trying to read every little detail of some of those chem problems! I was only on like problem 10 when the guy announced there was only 5 or 10 mins remaining! Not sure where my mind was..

And as for my gpa..well let's just say my pre-req gpa is HIGHER than my cume :( I kinda breezed through my undergrad years since I thought I had my career figured out (web development/multimedia design)..well now it's totally coming back to haunt me lol! So the 3.2-3.3 estimate is only for the last 3 years of post-bac. Factor in the 4 years prior to that and well I'm sure many of you would agree the word "pathetic" really is appropriate.

When did you both interview? Did you apply early?

6. sweetcalie08

sweetcalie08 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

So what do you think about an 82? ;) ;) Hopefully I can mention to the adcoms that I had NO practice/prep whatsoever. My uni's COP just started requiring the PCAT for early admissions and I found out sort of late...so I registered on the LAST day of the LATE deadline and basically took the test a month later! Didn't have any time to prep because I was spending that time prepping for a different COP's interview...which was March 19th BTW. And no, I did not apply early for my "interview" school- sent it in a week before the deadline.

Oh, so your cumulative is lower than a 3.2/3.3? I guess I SORT OF see your concern now, but don't give up hope yet!!! Adcoms look for grade improvement, and you could definitely explain your situation (even the mom thing in your pre-req years-sorry to hear about that). Just make sure you meet any necessary gpa minimums and you should be fine. I've read on some of these threads that a high PCAT can usually offset a lower than average GPA. Usually, the opposite is not as common (high GPA offsetting a low PCAT- that's the way it goes with the MCAT for med school too). So, if pharmacy is really what you want, and are determined to get in, I know you'll be fine! Your 94 PCAT will get you far. So, like I said before, relax. :p Easier said than done, I know!!

PS- I got a 68 on my quantitative section, so I feel your pain about having a score in the 60's. All my other scores were high 70's though (other than my 86 chem) so that's not even close to as good as your other 90's. Congrats on the great PCAT! :thumbup:

7. loo

loo Always Sleepy
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Welcome to SDN and the pharmacy/Pharm.D forum!! :D

Good luck and keep posting!