Not a member of the pre-health club?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SD0918

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to a CSU in california. Classes are very difficult to get and sophomores have the last registration date. I wasn't able to get any of my science classes. I don't want to have to risk not getting them, so I am taking them at the CC. I was also there this semester because I wasn't able to get classes last semester. My advisor says that junior year this shouldn't be much of a problem. Because of this though I am not very involved in my campus currently.

My question is that if my university has a pre-health club and I am not a member, does it negatively impact my application? Is the application process too difficult to complete on your own without the guidance that may be offered by this type of club?

I do plan on volunteering next year and will be involved in some other activities, just not on campus.

Members don't see this ad.

Not being part of the pre-health club won't negatively impact your application at all. Try to find a organization you're passionate about and commit your time to it. I didn't find the application process complicated and any questions you have can be addressed on SDN. PharmCAS also releases a pdf to guide you through the process (http://www.pharmcas.org/docs/Instructions201011.pdf) Don't join the club only for the application guidance.

I am assuming you are a science major... how is it possible that your school offers so few courses (and with limited enrollment) that you couldn't get ANY of the classes you need? I understand that sometimes a specific class or two gets filled and its difficult to get into... but every class? Something doesn't sound right.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am assuming you are a science major... how is it possible that your school offers so few courses (and with limited enrollment) that you couldn't get ANY of the classes you need? I understand that sometimes a specific class or two gets filled and its difficult to get into... but every class? Something doesn't sound right.

Biology isn't an impacted major and there are only two sections offered so 70 seats for both biology and o-chem. Registration was open for two weeks before my registration date. All the classes are filled and there is no waitlist yet. i did get the humanities courses i needed but that doesn't help much when i need the sciences.

Not being part of the pre-health club won't negatively impact your application at all. Try to find a organization you're passionate about and commit your time to it. I didn't find the application process complicated and any questions you have can be addressed on SDN. PharmCAS also releases a pdf to guide you through the process (http://www.pharmcas.org/docs/Instructions201011.pdf) Don't join the club only for the application guidance.

Thanks. Does this mean that the pre-health clubs are just to become familiar with the field and meet other students? I just wanted to make sure that it isn't necessary to join in order to have some extra benefits.

I was thinking about volunteering at the local clinic in my city and doing some other volunteer activities instead of this.

Biology isn't an impacted major and there are only two sections offered so 70 seats for both biology and o-chem. Registration was open for two weeks before my registration date. All the classes are filled and there is no waitlist yet. i did get the humanities courses i needed but that doesn't help much when i need the sciences.

Don't they have systems to prevent this?

Thanks. Does this mean that the pre-health clubs are just to become familiar with the field and meet other students? I just wanted to make sure that it isn't necessary to join in order to have some extra benefits.

I was thinking about volunteering at the local clinic in my city and doing some other volunteer activities instead of this.

It depends on the specific club. They could also bring in school represenatives, provide application/interview workshops, announce experience opportunities, or share the collective experiences of other students who have applied.

I was the president of our pre pharm-D club. We listened to speakers, answered each others questions, helped each other find tech jobs, volunteer around the community, and made friends.

In my opinion being in a leadership position of one of these clubs looks great on an application, but joining a bunch of clubs just to put them on your application doesn't look great unless you can prove you are active in them all.

Thats absurd. Only 70 seats for organic chemistry and general biology? There are more seats for basketweaving! I really think you should speak with the professors of the courses and get them to get you into the class. Be sure to impress upon the professors that you aim to apply to Rx school early and that being unable to get into these classes will delay your ability to apply early or do well on the PCAT. See if that helps.

Thats absurd. Only 70 seats for organic chemistry and general biology? There are more seats for basketweaving! I really think you should speak with the professors of the courses and get them to get you into the class. Be sure to impress upon the professors that you aim to apply to Rx school early and that being unable to get into these classes will delay your ability to apply early or do well on the PCAT. See if that helps.

i did this with my science professor and they ended up adding another class this semester.

don't need to join a club - it won't negatively affect anything.