Not a Pre-Health Major-Looking into getting into Med School-Lots Of Questions!

Dark Nebula

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I am currently in my second year of a Non Pre-Health Major. Long Story short, I always wanted to become a doctor ,though i had other options in mind. When i graduated from high school, i started studying Biomedical engineering for 3 semesters, then I found the load heavy and switched my major to environmental design and architecture. architecture was my second option. i am currently in my second year but i keep thinking what really made me change my mind!? I have lots of interest in science and medicine field, and i also have a very creative side for creating, building and crafting. hence why i am in the design field. recently i have been thinking, perhaps i can finish my undergrad and take the pre reqs for medical school abroad and do my MCAT eventually. although this all sounds planned out, i am very confused, i don't know if i'm doing the right thing?! i really need some good insight. as a student i feel like i will be better off and more independent if i get into the medical field. although, i have many connections in architectural field as well, i am not sure which one would be better for me. the more i think about it, the more stressed i get, because i feel like i still am not sure which one i prefer. i love what i study now, but something keeps making me think, if i don't go to medical school, i will regret it for the rest of my life, since that was initially what i wanted to do with my life. i still haven't reached my moment of clarity, though , i still have 2 more years left to decide. i will be grateful if i could get some insight on making my decision.( feel free to ask any questions for more background information)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone!

I am currently in my second year of a Non Pre-Health Major. Long Story short, I always wanted to become a doctor ,though i had other options in mind. When i graduated from high school, i started studying Biomedical engineering for 3 semesters, then I found the load heavy and switched my major to environmental design and architecture. architecture was my second option. i am currently in my second year but i keep thinking what really made me change my mind!? I have lots of interest in science and medicine field, and i also have a very creative side for creating, building and crafting. hence why i am in the design field. recently i have been thinking, perhaps i can finish my undergrad and take the pre reqs for medical school abroad and do my MCAT eventually. although this all sounds planned out, i am very confused, i don't know if i'm doing the right thing?! i really need some good insight. as a student i feel like i will be better off and more independent if i get into the medical field. although, i have many connections in architectural field as well, i am not sure which one would be better for me. the more i think about it, the more stressed i get, because i feel like i still am not sure which one i prefer. i love what i study now, but something keeps making me think, if i don't go to medical school, i will regret it for the rest of my life, since that was initially what i wanted to do with my life. i still haven't reached my moment of clarity, though , i still have 2 more years left to decide. i will be grateful if i could get some insight on making my decision.( feel free to ask any questions for more background information)

If you love architecture, and you want to be a doctor, stay with your major. If you love it, you'll do good. You need to take your pre-reqs though. If you're serious about it, you need to start getting hours and experience. Start shadowing doctors, start getting clinical hours and volunteer hours, show some leadership, and buckle down. Why would you regret sticking with your major if you don't get in, but you said you love what you do now? If you don't love it, you need to find something that you love. You sound really unsure, so my suggestion is to shadow a doctor and and architect and see what it's like. You have to make it your priority to get into med school. Your major honestly has nothing to do with med school, but if you don't get into med school, if you aren't going to bother applying again, you need to make sure that you'll be able to find a job with your degree. The workload is going to be heavier in med school, so do you think you could handle it? If you're worried about the workload, and I quote you "i started studying Biomedical engineering for 3 semesters, then I found the load heavy and switched", you really need to make sure you're sure about this. The workload is only going to get heavier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi ! thanks for your thoughts. The workload isn't my issue. both degrees have a lot of workload to it. what i'm really thinking about all the time is which one i want to do for the rest of my life. don't get me wrong i do love architecture, and it feeds my soul, but i also have this doubt, that if i don't go to med school , i will regret it in the future. initially ever since i knew, i wanted to be a doctor, and circumstances changed that. so now i have applied to a general hospital to volunteer and see how the environment would affect me. i still don't know ... but i guess time will tell.

Hi ! thanks for your thoughts. The workload isn't my issue. both degrees have a lot of workload to it. what i'm really thinking about all the time is which one i want to do for the rest of my life. don't get me wrong i do love architecture, and it feeds my soul, but i also have this doubt, that if i don't go to med school , i will regret it in the future. initially ever since i knew, i wanted to be a doctor, and circumstances changed that. so now i have applied to a general hospital to volunteer and see how the environment would affect me. i still don't know ... but i guess time will tell.

No problem. Well just do what feels right to you. If you feel like you'd regret not choosing med school, that might be an indication :). Even if you did decide to go with architecture, and you later decide that it's not for you, you can always try and go to med school. That's kind of how I was. I wanted to be a Lawyer, and I stuck with it for a while, but I couldn't see myself doing it for the rest of my life, and I didn't have many reasons as to why I wanted to become one (other than liking law and politics, and all of that), and I know that I'd regret not choosing to become a doctor. Feeling regret for not doing something you wish you would've done is not going to do anything but make things worse.

Last edited: