not a strong science/math student can i still do this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maxi3

maxi3
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thirty two years old, and I have a two year old and I can finally start to think about getting back on the career track.. Graduated from college at twenty eight in health care administration.. Took me eight years of determination while working my tail off to support myself... decided I wanted the more medical and less administrative route.. Have an approximate 3.35 GPA and barely made it through Chem 1.. Got a B.. Algebra did fairly.. Am I dreaming and do i need a reality check or can I do this with the same determination I had to get through classes one at a time for eight or nine years? THIS field fascinates me and think i would love it... thank you

Members don't see this ad.

If you barely made it through Chem I I would seriouly rethink your plan. Are you ready to be miserable and persevere through Chem II, two semesters of Organic, two semesters of Biochem, two semesters of Med Chem? That in addition to all the other science courses and calculus-level math (and yes, working as a pharmacist you do need to use logs, etc. to calculate dosage curves, though a lot of places have computers to do that for you nowadays).

Hi, :)

You might want to read through my thread "Unsure of Myself", it's kind of similar to what you are dealing with. It's been immensely helpful to me to read the replies and also read through the threads here. I came here feeling really stuck in the mud and am already feeling so much better. Renewed hope you could say. I'm 23 and have 2 little girls, ages 3 and 1. I kind of did things backwards you could say, I got married and had kids prior to starting school. While that is hard I really can't say I'd change it. When I have really bad days and wonder why I'm putting myself through this (going to school full time while also caring for my family and home) all I have to do is look around and see why. Not only am I doing it for myself but I'm also doing it to better the life of my family. I grew up in a family where I was the oldest of 10 kids and the income of my parents was only around 35,000 a year. My dad was stuck in a job he didn't really get a lot of enjoyment out of and because of how many siblings I had there wasn't any real possibility of change. Well anyways, my point is this... remember why you are going to school, to improve not only your life but also your child. If you aren't happy in your current career then it's not good for either of you. You need something that you are happy with. I feel like I'm babbling but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say. :laugh:

You sound very strong and I believe you CAN do this. You made it through 8 or so years and even had to focus on one class at a time, that indicates great strength. Heck, here I am having only gotten through my first semester and stressing, and you made it through 8 years! Wow! I think that's awesome. No, you don't need a reality check, jump in and do it, you've already proven you can. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
you can do it. BUT only if you are determined, and put in the time to get in to pharm school and then work your behind off once you get in.

I'm 37 and am P1. i'm the oldest in my class and i have a 1 year old. My GPA wasn't stellar (3.0 overall), but science and graduate gpa was 3.5.

I had to re-take several classes (a year of O. chem and labs, micro. bio, physiology, etc) b/c i graduated so long ago and courses couldn't be more than 9 years old. I also got a job working in a pharmacy. The pay was lousy, but i got the experience and a letter of rec!

I will say this: I wouldn't be in pharmacy school if it weren't for a super supportive husband and a great mom (who babysits 2 days a week!). Also, you have to be very frugal. we live on my husband's meager teacher salary!

It's great that you've been so determined to succeed and have shown great perseverance, but I'm not going to lie to you: If you've struggled through gen chem 1, it's only going to get worse. The classes will get harder and harder the further you get into it.

At my school, the first semester of P1 is 4 science classes and their labs, MedChem, Biochem, Physiology, Physical Chemistry, along with 3 other administrative type classes. You cannot take your classes one at a time during pharmacy school. I would suggest to continue to take the prereqs and see how you do, hopefully it will get better. You also need to look at yourself, are you really not understanding the material, but putting the effort in, or you just not studying enough?

All of that being said, if this is something you really want, don't let anyone convince you otherwise, you will find a way to make it work. Just realize that it is going to take a lot of hard work from you.

I am not naturally strong in chemistry but I tried hard ansd passed the pre-reqs with B's and C's. My Pharmcas GPA was like a 2.91, my PCAT in chemistry was lower than norm, but I got into Mercer and NOVA. Grades are important, but determination and desire are even more important. It will shine through to the schools that you perservered.

thank you for the encouragement and the realities everyone.. I REA
LLY appreciate it. please keep the feedback coming. I will be applying to Nova if anyone has any thoughts on that.

:)
thank you for the encouragement and the realities everyone.. I REA
LLY appreciate it. please keep the feedback coming. I will be applying to Nova if anyone has any thoughts on that.

When you are done with your preqs. for pharmacy, you should have any problems. Make sure during your interview you tell them about the dynamics of your life. (i.e. marriage, children, work.etc....) most schools would understand your position and appreciate your commitment to pharmacy. I think you have an outstanding oppurtunity...I did it...and Im old.........

Most pharmacy school rather see older more mature students than young students with hardly any life experience.

I would suggest trying to get some pharmacy experience to aid your decision. If you're not a strong math/science student, it is still possible if that is what you love to do, and if your experience fuels your passion for the profession even more, I don't see what could stop you.

However (not to discourage, but to bring up a point), some people are not meant for certain professions. Your courses COULD serve as a reality check, but I still definitely think it's possible if you are very motivated. I would say to try to take some more classes, too, so that you can see if this is the path for you. One needs to have passion/motivation for the profession AND the ability to learn the material.