Not able to take Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unty

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello-

I am a FMG and am not able to take the Step 1 exam due to an emergency. My school will not allow me to extend the testing date, so I am at a loss at what to do. If I do not take the exam, it will show up on my record as I didn't sit for the exam. What impact will this have on my applications for residency? Please help, I am worried.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I dont really understand why your school will not allow you to do an extension on your USMLE, but whatever the reason is, just go ahead and cancel the test date (if you have chosen a particular date and set it up with prometric already). It will not show anything if you do that, on your record. You will just lose the money that you paid for the exam though....that's all.
It's too bad your school won't let you extend it, bec. it is only 50 dollars for extension.

Hi

I called ECFMG and they stated that if I dont take the exam it will appear as a "no show". How much of an impact will this have on my applications?

Unty said:
Hi

I called ECFMG and they stated that if I dont take the exam it will appear as a "no show". How much of an impact will this have on my applications?

Hi,
I thought that if you just cancel your test date and let your block go by, then it will not show anything. But, you DO have to cancel the test date..If you just let the block go by without canceling the test date, then it will show up as NO SHOW.
Go ahead and cancel your test date if you luckily still have time.

Peeshee said:
Hi,
I thought that if you just cancel your test date and let your block go by, then it will not show anything. But, you DO have to cancel the test date..If you just let the block go by without canceling the test date, then it will show up as NO SHOW.
Go ahead and cancel your test date if you luckily still have time.

Thanks again PeeShee. Good Luck to you too..