Not as healthy since med school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kl323

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Over the past two years, not only have I gained weight... I was also told that I have borderline HTN.

I realize this is partly genetics since my father has HTN. But the it's hard to discount the MAJOR IMPACT that med school has had on my health.

I have terrible eating habits. It's not that I eat a lot... I guess I attribute my weight gain to eating at the oddest hours and eating "not-so-optimal" portions. Oh and definitely the not so nutritious hospital food. That's probably why my metabolism blows.

As for being borderline hypertensive.. maybe its also due to the stress..

This sucks. I can't believe I'm going through this and I'm only 25! I'm old, but not THAT OLD!

I guess this is really the kick that I needed to be healthier and find time to do just 10 minutes of exercise each day...

Just wanted to vent! Thanks for listening!

Members don't see this ad.

Whoa man, you need to look at this more realistically. One does not simply jump into a 10 minute/day exercise program, you need to start slow. Perhaps you can try 90-120 seconds/day in the beginning, to let your body adjust before you start your rigorous 10 minute/day routine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoa man, you need to look at this more realistically. One does not simply jump into a 10 minute/day exercise program, you need to start slow. Perhaps you can try 90-120 seconds/day in the beginning, to let your body adjust before you start your rigorous 10 minute/day routine.

Even better... more time to study

I watch lectures or do flash cards on my phone, while on the treadmill. Probably does me zero good, learning-wise, but it helps me justify taking an hour to exercise.

You have to justify time spent exercising? :confused: Med school doesn't take that much work.

I kinda hear ya, OP

There's no way I was able to continue my exercise routine into med school. Especially during my surgery rotation. I gained quite a bit of weight which I'm hoping to get back into shape during MS4.

while you definitely cant continue the exercise routine you had before when you start med school (i was used to at least 3-4 dance classes per week), its not horrible to stay moderately in shape. MS1 kinda threw me for a loop and i gained about 15lbs which i am not working on shedding during SM@. halfway there!!

i just started cooking. i know it may sound time consuming, but its not that bad.
on saturday or sunday, i prepare a package of pasta. while that is boiling i make sauce. i start with sauteeing some onions and throw in a bunch of veggies in (peppers, mushrooms, peas, etc) and then a can of crusehd tomatoes and some cheese. this gets distributed into zip lock containers for my boyfriend and me during the week.

for breakfast, i whip up an omelette which takes 10 min total. 3 eggs, a little milk, tomatoes, chopped frozen spinach, and maybe something else if i have it. with just breakfast and lunch, we have pretty much most of our veggie servings in. for dinner i usually make fish. take out a fish in the morning or the night before form the freezing and whip somethign quick up for dinner..

just by changing our eating habits, we have lost 7-8lbs already. (would have been more but some weekends are not healthy lol). both of our families have some pretty bad heart disease so i have pretty cut 90% of the salt out of the cooking process and no one notices :)

Last edited:
forgot to mention.. the pasta is ALWAYS whole wheat.
i realize breakfast may be hard during some MS3 rotations and i need to find other solutions, but i never l;eave the house without some food in me

staying in shape takes 20 minutes per day or less if you do it right.

any more than that is a waste.. or for a specific training goal like marathons etc

OP, don't listen to all these other people about losing weight if it involves lots of time consuming activities - beyond a 30 minute run or so. I am more talking about cooking all your own meals.

The ONLY thing you need to do to lose weight is EAT LESS CALORIES. It doesn't matter what type of food you eat. Just eat less and you'll lose weight. I suggest eating half the food you normally eat for meals, walking more around the hospital instead of elevators, drinking water instead of other drinks, etc. It's not hard. Yeah it takes will power but it's otherwise easy.

If you lose weight your cholesterol will improve, your BP will go down, you'll look and feel better, etc. You don't have to do anything special. You don't have to cut out all the salt (though be aware that salt causes you to retain water so that's why you need to drink lots of water to flush out your system). There have been study after study showing that no diet is better than any other and all have the same outcomes. It really just depends on your weight for the most part - and genetics but that's something you can't change.

I lost 25 lbs on pretty much fast food - though I didn't eat fries, didn't drink soda, excerised more, etc. I improved my BP significantly as well. Also there are people out there with BMIs over 30 that have normal BP. So don't fret. Just keep it simple. The easier your diet is the easier it will be to stick to it and lose weight. Good luck.

:laugh:

staying in shape takes 20 minutes per day or less if you do it right.

any more than that is a waste.. or for a specific training goal like marathons etc

I think cardio can be done efficiently in 20 minutes, but for weight/resistance training that takes a little more time, due to the rest between sets. I often superset (2 diff exercises in the same same set) and my workouts still take between 35 and 50 minutes, depending on the body parts I'm working that day. While I agree that 2 hour gym visits are a waste for most people, I think 20 minutes as the gold standard for defining what is wasting your time and what isn't is not accurate.

OP, it sounds like your problem is two-fold, stress and diet. I think your strategy should be to initially focus on your diet (ar2388's plan of pre-preparing meals is a great way to tackle your meals/snacks in advance. Also, don't forget you can mix in shakes - Myoplex is a good one), then you can relieve some of your stress working out (cardio, weight training, take a martial arts class, maybe boxing, ANYTHING free of coursework). I think once you realize that you can have some time for yourself as well, it can work wonders on your stress level. Even during residency my gf can find time to get to ballet and dance classes, or mix in some yoga workouts, etc.. It's hard initially and you will feel drained or too tired to do it, but once you do it for ~2 weeks you will start to have more energy and notice that your focus has increased as well. The key is to schedule in your workout and stick to it. It will then become part of your day plan and you will begin to view it as an appt. that you can't/don't want to reschedule.

As far as your diet, if you can switch to ~6 smaller meals per day (including shakes if wanted), that is by far the fastest way to boost your metabolism and reduce your body's need to store fat. If you adhere strictly to a good healthy diet, I encourage you to binge once a week. Eat what you have been eyeing all week (ie., big fatty breakfast burrito, doughnuts, etc.), this way it tricks your body into not resetting it's equilibrium to your new diet set point and ensures you don't start to store portions of you weekly meals as fat. Essentially, you will trick your body into burning everything you put into it.

Good luck!

:laugh:

I think cardio can be done efficiently in 20 minutes, but for weight/resistance training that takes a little more time, due to the rest between sets. I often superset (2 diff exercises in the same same set) and my workouts still take between 35 and 50 minutes, depending on the body parts I'm working that day. While I agree that 2 hour gym visits are a waste for most people, I think 20 minutes as the gold standard for defining what is wasting your time and what isn't is not accurate.

Body weight exercises only. Breaks are for the weak and the dead. You can get through a decent workout with some combination of sprints, pushups, pullups, burpees, jumps, sit-ups/other core work, etc. in 20-30 minutes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Body weight exercises only. Breaks are for the weak and the dead. You can get through a decent workout with some combination of sprints, pushups, pullups, burpees, jumps, sit-ups/other core work, etc. in 20-30 minutes.

I think that workout sounds great, but it would probably kill the OP. haha

OP, google Rapid Fatloss Handbook by Lyle MacDonald. Buy it, read it, plan and follow. Written by a real scholar. In med school next year, I may drop my lifting routine and stick to a low gi diet and whatever exercise I can get in.

Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

That's such a waste of energy and time. If you are really busy, you can get a hold of your diet, that's 80 percent of the battle. Any exercise I'd do would be light aerobics at a max of 65 perent of my maximum heart rate for 30-60 minutes 4 times/week. Burpees and all that other non-sense are for endurance athletes, not people trying to lose body fat.

That's such a waste of energy and time. If you are really busy, you can get a hold of your diet, that's 80 percent of the battle. Any exercise I'd do would be light aerobics at a max of 65 perent of my maximum heart rate for 30-60 minutes 4 times/week. Burpees and all that other non-sense are for endurance athletes, not people trying to lose body fat.

I respectfully disagree with your position on burpees and other nonsense, but you're dead on about diet being very important. :)

You have control over your "terrible" eating habits. Just eat healthier foods! For example, you can just buy carrot sticks, which doesn't take any time to cook.

Also, you are not old! 25 years old is pretty young; you are at your max bone density. ;)

Over the past two years, not only have I gained weight... I was also told that I have borderline HTN.

I realize this is partly genetics since my father has HTN. But the it's hard to discount the MAJOR IMPACT that med school has had on my health.

I have terrible eating habits. It's not that I eat a lot... I guess I attribute my weight gain to eating at the oddest hours and eating "not-so-optimal" portions. Oh and definitely the not so nutritious hospital food. That's probably why my metabolism blows.

This sucks. I can't believe I'm going through this and I'm only 25! I'm old, but not THAT OLD!

I guess this is really the kick that I needed to be healthier and find time to do just 10 minutes of exercise each day...

I watch lectures or do flash cards on my phone, while on the treadmill. Probably does me zero good, learning-wise, but it helps me justify taking an hour to exercise.

same here, except i've been doing it since the start of biochem and it's working well for me. i do that rather than going to class. keeps you in great shape. i notice i also get less brain cramps when i study at home after.

OP, lift heavy, take a multi, eat less, add 20 minutes cardio (body starts burning fat at the 30 minute mark though), do some reading with cardio to be efficient, i prefer the stationary bike.

substitute fruits, and cashews(not too much) as snacks.

breakfast, eat some oatmeal with a protein shake,

at night fry some egg substitute + 2 eggs and spinach. (any kind of semi lean protein + veggie combo) works here

Do some brisk cardio for 20-30 minutes 3x/week. It will make you feel better almost immediately, help your circulation, and decrease stress.

But focus the rest of your health efforts on diet. Cook 90% of your meals at home.

Eat lots of: MEAT, poultry, eggs, seafood, VEGETABLES
Eat moderate amounts of: fruits, tubers (potatoes, yams), nuts, beans
Eat little to zero: Bread, cereal, white rice, table sugar (including HFCS)

Eat for fuel and health, not for taste.

I guarantee if you follow this, you will feel 100% better within a month if not less. :D

I find working out essential for maintaining my mental health throughout med school. It does wonders not only for my weight issues but a world of help for my stress levels.

I find working out essential for maintaining my mental health throughout med school. It does wonders not only for my weight issues but a world of help for my stress levels.

Yeah I don't know how people do this WITHOUT working out, personally. Exercise reduces stress, yeah, but it also makes subsequent work more productive.

It's incredible people have the will-power to study for 8-10hr blocks, but not to eat healthy and exercise. The effort to do so is almost non-existant compared with some of the med-student spartan studying regimens.

Crossfit is amazing for med school. Most workouts are 20 minutes or under and leave you totally dead at the end if done correctly.

+1 to this. it is not hard to eat right and stay in shape in medical school. it's not the easiest thing in the world, but it can be done pretty painlessly. Even if you don't have time to work out 90% of your body composition is going to be what you eat. Plus, use the squat rack (that no one ever touches), never a line, do some back squats and dead lifts and presses and you're done in under an hour. boom goes the dynamite.

There is plenty of time to work out in med school. You simply have to make time for it like anything else. I think it's a mistake to put your health, mental well-being, and social relationships on the shelf at any time in your training.

A fellow student at my school trained for the olympics while in school, we had one of the best marathoners in the country, and I have been training for an ironman while on rotations.

Find balance.

Follow Jack Lalanes quotes and you will be in healthy and perfect condition ever:-

• Your waistline is your lifeline.
  • Exercise is King, nutrition is Queen, put them together and you’ve got a kingdom
  • The food you eat today is walking and talking tomorrow.
  • Ten seconds on the lips and a lifetime on the hips.
  • People don’t die of old age, they die of inactivity.
  • If man makes it, don’t eat it.
  • If it tastes good, spit it out.
  • Your health account is like your bank account: The more you put in, the more you can take out.

The HTN is not necessarily your fault...def could be genetic- but your weight and stress aren't helping it.

We're all time crunched, but try to find a way. Diet is easy....cook ahead of time and bring tupperware with healthy food. Lower your carb intake as well and go for proteins and EFA sources instead.

Even the doc I work with makes time to run 5 miles every single day during his LUNCH...so where theres a will there is a way my friend.

Hang in there, and remember that its all about determination. If you care, you'll push through it and make changes! Best of luck to you!!!

There is plenty of time to work out in med school. You simply have to make time for it like anything else. I think it's a mistake to put your health, mental well-being, and social relationships on the shelf at any time in your training.

A fellow student at my school trained for the olympics while in school, we had one of the best marathoners in the country, and I have been training for an ironman while on rotations.

Find balance.

This. I hate to say its simply a matter of trying harder and being motivated...but really thats all it is.

I used to do this too- but now I've realized that (for me) it does no good at all.

IMO When you are studying, focus 100% on studying. When you are working out, focus 100% on working out.

during break time, you can also watch fitness themed movies/tv shows like biggest loser for motivation. surround yourself with positive messages.

during break time, you can also watch fitness themed movies/tv shows like biggest loser for motivation. surround yourself with positive messages.

Watch I used to be fat on mtv too..SOME of the episodes are really inspirational. Other ones are lol'able because they failed epically and ate taco bell haha

Watch I used to be fat on mtv too..SOME of the episodes are really inspirational. Other ones are lol'able because they failed epically and ate taco bell haha
haha love that show!

Take out 30-60 mins, 4x a week to exercise

Cut down on bad foods - this definitely happened to me (more than once) during medical school because of all the free food opportunities (i.e. free pizza, etc) and it's all similar caloric intake to my normal stuff but much crappier food.

MAKE THE TIME to maintain your health. It's tough to get motivated but even as a doctor... think about it this way... how can you counsel a patient on obesity if you yourself are obese? (not saying you are, just saying that it's a way of thinking abt it).

I bet you're currently wasting a lot of time that you could re-distribute towards working out a little. And just eat less if you're gaining weight.
Medical school doesn't take that much work. Unless you're on Surgery or OBGyn and are working 12+ hour days, you really should be able to find some time. 2x a week run for 15 minutes should be easy especially now the weather is improving.

I have always been relatively healthy, but throughout medical school, my BMI has slowly crept up into the "overweight category". I was able to slim off about ten pounds relatively easy with calorie counting via the livestrong/myplate application and recommend it. You basically set a weekly weight loss goal, log what you eat, and it's basic math. The nice feature is that it has a search engine for food, so if you enter in something, it will (usually) pop up with the calories.

Other than that, skip the elevator, take the stairs, and avoid salts.

Oh, and to avoid neurosis/discouragement, once you start on a regimen, I'd recommend only weighing yourself once a week and on the same scale without anything that could add false weight. Make sure you close the drapes.

Last edited:
I bet you're currently wasting a lot of time that you could re-distribute towards working out a little. And just eat less if you're gaining weight.
Medical school doesn't take that much work. Unless you're on Surgery or OBGyn and are working 12+ hour days, you really should be able to find some time. 2x a week run for 15 minutes should be easy especially now the weather is improving.

What's that going to accomplish? 200 calories per week?

What's that going to accomplish? 200 calories per week?

It actually makes you feel quite a bit better, running at a good pace should get you closer to ~250-350 depending on how big you are and if you like inclines etc.

I think these estimates of appropriate amounts of exercise are grossly inadequate.

We are constantly infusing our systems with stress molecules. If we worked outdoors and were active and unstressed. Maybe a couple of half hour sessions a week would be enough for an otherwise completely healthy person.

But most of us are not completely healthy. We sit hunched over books for hours upon hours. We are stressed with every career determinant performance event. We most likely eat crappier food because we're stressed and think we don't have time.

Under these conditions we need at least 8 hours of sweaty heart-pumping hard exercise a week. Just to undo the damage.

You have time. Your mind is getting pimped if you think you don't. Maybe not on tough rotations, but most of the time.

I think these estimates of appropriate amounts of exercise are grossly inadequate.

We are constantly infusing our systems with stress molecules. If we worked outdoors and were active and unstressed. Maybe a couple of half hour sessions a week would be enough for an otherwise completely healthy person.

But most of us are not completely healthy. We sit hunched over books for hours upon hours. We are stressed with every career determinant performance event. We most likely eat crappier food because we're stressed and think we don't have time.

Under these conditions we need at least 8 hours of sweaty heart-pumping hard exercise a week. Just to undo the damage.

You have time. Your mind is getting pimped if you think you don't. Maybe not on tough rotations, but most of the time.
i dont quite know where you are getting this...
and while we may be sitting hunched over for hours, i dont think most of us eat crappier food BECAUSE we are stressed. i EAT when im stressed and man, do i eat. i am a horrible stress eater, but when i eat its nonstop apples, mangos, and strawberries when im stressed, thats not doing anything bad for me.
if every med student could run for 20-30min a day every day, i think we would all feel so much better. i notice on myself when i stop working out for a few weeks bc i feel i dont have the time to go take a class or go to the gym then i feel much crappier.. but with a simple 30 min of cardio at the gym one night, i am feeling loads better the next morning.
we may need 8 hours to completely burn the calories of the fatty food that may be eaten during the week, but i dont think we need 8 hours to feel better and get those endorphins going

i dont quite know where you are getting this...
and while we may be sitting hunched over for hours, i dont think most of us eat crappier food BECAUSE we are stressed. i EAT when im stressed and man, do i eat. i am a horrible stress eater, but when i eat its nonstop apples, mangos, and strawberries when im stressed, thats not doing anything bad for me.
if every med student could run for 20-30min a day every day, i think we would all feel so much better. i notice on myself when i stop working out for a few weeks bc i feel i dont have the time to go take a class or go to the gym then i feel much crappier.. but with a simple 30 min of cardio at the gym one night, i am feeling loads better the next morning.
we may need 8 hours to completely burn the calories of the fatty food that may be eaten during the week, but i dont think we need 8 hours to feel better and get those endorphins going

Yeah. You're right. For a healthy eater, 30 min/day would be ok. If you're completely healthy.

Otherwise it's not enough. We have crappy standards. If you're not a total slob you must be fine. I say no. If you're not as fit as you could be, you need to work out more. You don't have togo hard like an athlete in training, but in that ball park would be optimal for daily functioning.

Yeah. You're right. For a healthy eater, 30 min/day would be ok. If you're completely healthy.

Otherwise it's not enough. We have crappy standards. If you're not a total slob you must be fine. I say no. If you're not as fit as you could be, you need to work out more. You don't have togo hard like an athlete in training, but in that ball park would be optimal for daily functioning.

What do we define as "as you could be"? Able to run 2 miles? a marathon?

I found that during rotations it seems like its much harder to get a consistent workout schedule going. The mandatory early hours + commute time (something I didn't have before) + studying when I got home just all seemed to drain me. Even if I had the time I had absolutely no energy. I was lucky to get in a workout twice a week (and that's if I wasn't on call over the weekend).

Maybe if you come into MS3 hitting the ground running (and don't take a break for shelf studying) you could have more success? I felt like my grades probably would have sufferered, though, since I already think I don't have enough time to read/study.

What do we define as "as you could be"? Able to run 2 miles? a marathon?

I found that during rotations it seems like its much harder to get a consistent workout schedule going. The mandatory early hours + commute time (something I didn't have before) + studying when I got home just all seemed to drain me. Even if I had the time I had absolutely no energy. I was lucky to get in a workout twice a week (and that's if I wasn't on call over the weekend).

Maybe if you come into MS3 hitting the ground running (and don't take a break for shelf studying) you could have more success? I felt like my grades probably would have sufferered, though, since I already think I don't have enough time to read/study.

Hey I hear you. But I put it as a moving target on purpose. Our physiology is designed to be pushed for optimal function. So I'm saying, push yourself. In the opposite direction this evil pimp we call medicine is pushing us.

The fact that such bad health is encouraged and only lightly mitigated against with weak platitudes coming from weak, stressed, out-of shape physician physiques in medicine--the institution supposedly designed to work oppositionally to poor health--is absurd.

Squeezing in a liitle exercise, guilitly, as if you were hitting a crack pipe is a poor standard. And abismally inadequate.

So yeah, get as fit as you can. And whatever you're doing. You could be doing more, and feeling better for it. Pimp or be pimped.

I don't wanna be perfect, just healthy. The only thing I do is run and eat 2,000 cals. I don't bother with weight training or being muscular, I prefer to be small and lean, but healthy :D

I ran 40-60 miles a week as a M1.. essentially trained for my fourth marathon at the end of the year. It was more than doable and I had plenty of time to study since all my runs were in the mornings, before 9:10am classes.

Now that I'm a M2.. I don't even really run anymore. Maybe 20 miles a week at most. I spend more time in the gym (cardio, weights) at night, since now that all our classes are at 8am. I do this instead of running outdoors now because of the winter (running through snow/ice at night sucks), and the fact that I can print out drug tables and review them while on the elliptical. Pretty lame, but I figure you have to find every conceivable and reasonable way to squeeze the most productivity you can out of the 24 hours we get each day.

When M3 rolls along, my plan is pretty much to shorten my workout routine and just do 30 minutes of cardio and 15 minutes of lifting a few days a week, something like that. I'm in pretty decent shape and I'm just looking to maintain that.

I'm exactly in the same situation as the OP, sans the hypertension - I tend to have low BP, so 120/80 would probably be hypertensive for me. But yeah, weight gain, the development of mild hypothyroidism, lack of any proper exercise routine, regularly skipping meals and horrible eating habits - blame it on med school.

I have a major exam this week, but after that, I'm done making excuses. It's springtime, the weather is great, and I am going out and going for a jog/walk every darn day. And I'm going home to study for Step 1 just so I can get better nutrition and daily exercise courtesy of my workout-a-holic mom.

I hope third year is better cuz I'm the kind of person who makes excuses to walk and take the stairs, I hate elevators. Part of my problem stems from the fact that I'm living in a city for the first time in 8 years where I have to drive everywhere and can't just walk everywhere, and that's contributed to my 20-30 lb weight gain. Definitely shows me the importance of basic things like sidewalks that are missing from places that aren't large cities or college towns *sigh* (I've definitely noticed a nation-wide correlation between walking friendliness of a town and obesity rates - the town I currently live in has a 30% obesity rate and at least half overweight, while the place where I was personally the most fit, Boston, was less than 20%)

Last edited:
Is that the same idiot who puts out those "What doctors don't want you to know about your health" books?

No, I think that's an entirely different idiot.

How common is it for medical students to deteriorate in health/gain weight during medical training?

It seems kind of sad. To help other people's health, you must sacrifice your own...