Not completing english/writing prerequisite? But still applied.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fullsend243

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so basically my university makes all student take these university studies classes which are suppose to be used as our writing requirement for graduation. Its mandatory to take 3 classes every year for all students and I thought that would satisfy my dental school prerequisite when I was applying. However, when my transcript got verified they changed the class subject from writing to to like bunch of random things like special topic, health, etc. I already applied and I am not sure what to do about it because I emailed ADEA and they said thats how they should be classified even after sending them syllabus for each course. Am i screwed or would dental schools not care much?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are accepted to a program, or in some cases during the selection process, schools will inquire about courses that may or may not complete prerequisites. For example, I had taken an upper divisional psychology course but not an introductory. Some schools wanted me to take a course that was labeled as an intro to psych, while others allowed the upper div course to count. This continued for other seminar courses I took, that because of the syllabus, was rectified to count as a writing course, as we were required to write dozens of papers.

Members don't see this ad :)
All I can say is that your university is not the only one that does this, and I'm guessing the verifiers have the rules they must follow. I'm guessing if schools have an issue trying to figure out what courses should constitute your writing/English requirement, someone in the admissions office would either search through your university catalog or a prehealth program webpage, or else they will come right out and ask you.