Not daydreaming about being in the field of medicine? Wrong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peach Love

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious about this. When we were kids we all day dreamed about all sorts of things, and even today we continue to daydream about our aspirations. My issue is... although I aspire to be a doctor (particularly a surgeon) or what not, I can't find it in myself to like to daydream about me flying solo on a surgery or sitting down with a patient talking about how they're sick. I don't know if you know what I mean? I mean I like the field of science and enjoy research etc but I can't seem to picture it .. does anyone else have this problem or can sympathize?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't have to envision yourself. One day, you will just be.

I am having day-mares about not getting in!

Members don't see this ad :)

I agree. Not being able to envision yourself doesn't prove you can't do medicine. Plus, it takes time. Have you shadowed physicians yet? Or do you go to the doctor's often? I see an endocrinologist every 3 months so I try to observe her and the people at Harvard Medical School (that's where I go to get checked) to see if I can see myself being there...if I didn't go to the doctor's so often, I probably woudn't have a way to imagine myself in that position, but everybody is different.
Good luck!

it may depend on the type of person you are. if you're the kind of person that needs to visualize yourself doing something in order to be successful at it, then it could be a sign. but if not, then don't worry about it.

i am the type of person that needs to visualize myself achieving certain goals. for example, envisioning myself doing something has been helpful in my good performance in sports and playing musical instruments. on the other hand, i have never had to do this for academics.

if anything, daydreaming/visualizing yourself doing certain things can probably help you achieve something, but it's not necessary. i'm sure you already know what works for you and what doesn't, so you can apply these principles to your medical pursuits.

well what do you daydream about then? just curious.

the only daydream i have is how rich ill be as a doc LOL

Edit. Must have accidently clicked on the highschool forum. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm just curious about this. When we were kids we all day dreamed about all sorts of things, and even today we continue to daydream about our aspirations. My issue is... although I aspire to be a doctor (particularly a surgeon) or what not, I can't find it in myself to like to daydream about me flying solo on a surgery or sitting down with a patient talking about how they're sick. I don't know if you know what I mean? I mean I like the field of science and enjoy research etc but I can't seem to picture it .. does anyone else have this problem or can sympathize?

I daydream about better things than being a doctor.

i think at this point most of us who have been accepted are a bit more cynical about things... the process was a bitch. We still want to be doctors, but we're done with those lovey dovey days when we used to dream about wearing a white coat with a cool stethoscope with our name engraved in it...etc etc...etc

Members don't see this ad :)
i think at this point most of us who have been accepted are a bit more cynical about things... the process was a bitch. We still want to be doctors, but we're done with those lovey dovey days when we used to dream about wearing a white coat with a cool stethoscope with our name engraved in it...etc etc...etc

Do you know what happens when you put that cold stethoscope against your warm skin?

I don't daydream about becoming a doctor. I think saving a life would be a an incredible rush, and performing surgeries would be crazy, but I don't dream about it...the only thing I dream about is the attending paycheck. I'll probably **** my pants when I see a week's paycheck for like $2500.

More cynical? :confused:

I get more excited every day.

More cynical? :confused:

I get more excited every day.

I'd have to agree with Phospho on this one. Man am I exhausted of even thinking about medical school. I'm sure a full spring and summer of putting it on the back burner will rekindle the fire. I hope.

Who the hell daydreams about *work*?

I daydream that I have superpowers. And a harem. Being a doctor's a touch mundane.

well what do you daydream about then? just curious.

LOL well to be ho0nest, ever since i started the whole pre-med thing I really havent had ANY time to day dream

1. Your name is peach love

2. You are clogging the internets with this crap

Most people aren't obsessed with their jobs or in love with their jobs like this. Most people just want to work, produce to the best of their ability, and enjoy the fruits of the labor. Every profession has those that are completely obsessed with their work, but is that really healthy?

There is nothing wrong with saying that you want to go to med school because you think you will be an excellent surgeon and will thereby justly make a good living for yourself. There is nothing wrong with, when you actually become a surgeon, to go to work, do your job well, and come home and enjoy other hobbies. In fact, I would say that is normal.

I would bet, that those who go into this with a realistic, practical, and well-rounded viewpoint end up happier than those who were daydreamers and obsessed. Since medicine attracts so many dreamers, maybe that's why we have all these docs these days complaining about how terrible things are, when 90% of the rest of working America would be ecstatic to have the kind of professional life that physicians and surgeons enjoy. Comparatively speaking, in terms of a job, medicine is pretty sweet.

Most people aren't obsessed with their jobs or in love with their jobs like this. Most people just want to work, produce to the best of their ability, and enjoy the fruits of the labor. Every profession has those that are completely obsessed with their work, but is that really healthy?

There is nothing wrong with saying that you want to go to med school because you think you will be an excellent surgeon and will thereby justly make a good living for yourself. There is nothing wrong with, when you actually become a surgeon, to go to work, do your job well, and come home and enjoy other hobbies. In fact, I would say that is normal.

I would bet, that those who go into this with a realistic, practical, and well-rounded viewpoint end up happier than those who were daydreamers and obsessed. Since medicine attracts so many dreamers, maybe that's why we have all these docs these days complaining about how terrible things are, when 90% of the rest of working America would be ecstatic to have the kind of professional life that physicians and surgeons enjoy. Comparatively speaking, in terms of a job, medicine is pretty sweet.

nice post... at the end of the day, it's just a job...