1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Not disadvantaged

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ponyo, Aug 9, 2011.

1. ponyo

ponyo 人魚姫
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is a slightly different question about being disadvantaged...

I was just browsing the thread where the new mom was asking about it and decided to look through the AMCAS worksheet & instruction manual, and I realised that, well, my answers would look like this:

--Grew up in severely underserved area
    --Family income for majority of 0-18: <$5000 (Started my life in a shack with no floor, holes for windows and a bucket of coal for heat, lol. Actually had one of those fire-beds)
    --Contributed to family income in HS
    --Financed college education

But I'm NOT ACTUALLY DISADVANTAGED and have absolutely no intention of marking that. I'm just an immigrant. The families I lived with during my childhood treated me like their own kids and I don't feel like my education has ever been compromised ever except by my own laziness.

I'm worried that if I fill out everything truthfully (for which I don't really have a choice I guess) it'll look like I'm trying to look disadvantaged... and then they'll meet me during interviews and realise that I look and talk like your average lower-upper-middle class kid (and am just as boring)... and they'll think I lied :(

2. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Were you born & raised abroad? Given cost of living, etc, elsewhere, annual incomes are always hard to compare. The AMCAS question is "do you consider yourself...." If you don't, say "no".

I interviewed a career changer who was making about $100,000 including bonuses who self-identified as disadvantaged childhood due to very legit issues in childhood. How you look & talk as an adult can change and need not reflect your childhood deprivation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OP
    OP
    ponyo

ponyo 人魚姫
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    LizzyM">
    The thing is, if you consider my living conditions as a child, they would probably be considered impoverished compared to American standards. I remember the first time I ever saw a telephone and how amazing it was. I once had to share a clinic bed with 5 other children with pneumonia and one of them actually died. Until I moved to America I was chronically malnourished & underweight, and had chronic bronchitis because of air pollution. But it didn't feel like I was disadvantaged, because I actually saw people starving to death, real poor kids being trafficked in the streets, etc. and I wasn't anywhere near that.

Most importantly, because of the cultural difference, there weren't any academic compromises (in fact if anything I got a way way way more rigorous education, because I had to get up at like 5 to go to morning study starting 1st grade, and if you didn't finish everything you didn't get to pee). Even after I moved here, despite not having a lot of money my family insisted on living in a decent neighborhood so that I would get a good education.

I guess my major question is: is the rest of all that childhood information considered only if you mark "disadvantaged"?

4. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Starting this year, everyone is asked to answer those questions, even a billionaire's kid.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...