Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Not disadvantaged

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ponyo, Aug 9, 2011.

1. ponyo

ponyo 人魚姫
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is a slightly different question about being disadvantaged...

I was just browsing the thread where the new mom was asking about it and decided to look through the AMCAS worksheet & instruction manual, and I realised that, well, my answers would look like this:

--Grew up in severely underserved area
    --Family income for majority of 0-18: <$5000 (Started my life in a shack with no floor, holes for windows and a bucket of coal for heat, lol. Actually had one of those fire-beds)
    --Contributed to family income in HS
    --Financed college education

But I'm NOT ACTUALLY DISADVANTAGED and have absolutely no intention of marking that. I'm just an immigrant. The families I lived with during my childhood treated me like their own kids and I don't feel like my education has ever been compromised ever except by my own laziness.

I'm worried that if I fill out everything truthfully (for which I don't really have a choice I guess) it'll look like I'm trying to look disadvantaged... and then they'll meet me during interviews and realise that I look and talk like your average lower-upper-middle class kid (and am just as boring)... and they'll think I lied :(

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Were you born & raised abroad? Given cost of living, etc, elsewhere, annual incomes are always hard to compare. The AMCAS question is "do you consider yourself...." If you don't, say "no".

I interviewed a career changer who was making about $100,000 including bonuses who self-identified as disadvantaged childhood due to very legit issues in childhood. How you look & talk as an adult can change and need not reflect your childhood deprivation.

4. ponyo

ponyo 人魚姫
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The thing is, if you consider my living conditions as a child, they would probably be considered impoverished compared to American standards. I remember the first time I ever saw a telephone and how amazing it was. I once had to share a clinic bed with 5 other children with pneumonia and one of them actually died. Until I moved to America I was chronically malnourished & underweight, and had chronic bronchitis because of air pollution. But it didn't feel like I was disadvantaged, because I actually saw people starving to death, real poor kids being trafficked in the streets, etc. and I wasn't anywhere near that.

Most importantly, because of the cultural difference, there weren't any academic compromises (in fact if anything I got a way way way more rigorous education, because I had to get up at like 5 to go to morning study starting 1st grade, and if you didn't finish everything you didn't get to pee). Even after I moved here, despite not having a lot of money my family insisted on living in a decent neighborhood so that I would get a good education.

I guess my major question is: is the rest of all that childhood information considered only if you mark "disadvantaged"?

5. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Starting this year, everyone is asked to answer those questions, even a billionaire's kid.