Not disclosing Race on Apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Athomeonarock

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have very strong feelings about diclosing my race to anyone on anything. What do you think about leaving it blank on apps? I dont want the lack of info to get my app tossed in the trash. So any oppinions anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Leave it blank. They won't throw it out. They can't penalize you either.

Of course realize that "No Race", like most other races, is not among the favored races in admissions (ie: no "diversity" points)

Are you white?

Members don't see this ad :)
i didn't want to either, but i figured my "ethnic" name defeated the purpose anyway.

I dont see why you wouldnt. When you show up at the interview in most cases it'll be pretty obvious if you're white, URM, or ORM.

Silent protest. Imagine if "No Race" became the majority of the applicants.

I too have been bothered by that. However, I did list my race.

Athomeonarock said:
I have very strong feelings about diclosing my race to anyone on anything. What do you think about leaving it blank on apps? I dont want the lack of info to get my app tossed in the trash. So any oppinions anyone?

I feel the same way too...I never disclose my race on any type of application.

As stated above you won't get any points but it won't hurt your application at all. It is like checking "Other"

How unique can you be? I'm sure there are zillions like you who have already been "processed" by this medical machine and if you are a teeny, tiny minority then your chances of admission increase by disclosing! :thumbup: Be more specific about your race if you want actual feedback from SDNers. They really are diverse. :cool:

I hate that checkmark box. And no one seems to care how I feel about it either :(

It's probably the only part of the application process that offends me, but I'm a little bit touchy on these issues.

Many schools request that you send a picture with your secondary... Some say optional but...

Mr Reddly said:
Many schools request that you send a picture with your secondary... Some say optional but...

No wonder why adcoms kept on rejecting me. Mine looks like this: :spam:

They'll obviously know your race regardless of what you do. The point is, however, is that they will not be able to officially report your race. The point is to show how offended you are that they are:
a) asking the question
b) using your race for/against you in the process.

Mr Reddly said:

I was wondering about this too. Anyone not put a pic in where it says pic here/optional? I wonder if it would raise some red flag to them or something that you could be hideously malformed or something if you omit the pic? :rolleyes:

Everyone keeps talking about how they're gonna show the adcoms they "disagree" with using physical appearance/race at all in the application process by withholding race data and omitting a picture. There's one problem -- the adcoms are holding the keys to the castle. You can soapbox all you want, but if they don't like it, you're gone. there are thousands of other applicants who want to play by their rules. so boycott away, just be aware that there may be consequences if someone dislikes it. it's not that I disagree with those who don't like reporting their race, just that it's wise to go along with what adcoms want/expect from their applicants.

There is only one reace.. human! :eek:

Go ahead and don't report your race if you've got feelings about it. If anything, the adcoms will probably just lump the "No Race" apps with the rest of the white/ORM candidates anyway.

Schools can't further discriminate against you because you do not mark your race. There is no possible legal argument for penalizing a person for not mentioning their race.

Remember, the biggest minority group taking the SAT last year was "No Race"

Scubadoc said:
I was wondering about this too. Anyone not put a pic in where it says pic here/optional? I wonder if it would raise some red flag to them or something that you could be hideously malformed or something if you omit the pic? :rolleyes:

p&s didn't process my app until i sent them a picture. i didn't even know one was required until they told me "your application is incomplete!"

Newquagmire said:
p&s didn't process my app until i sent them a picture. i didn't even know one was required until they told me "your application is incomplete!"

wow, that's nutty! i can't believe they didn't tell you it was required first!