Not doing lab rotations and going back to my current lab for PhD.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentistScientist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have worked in multiple laboratories in NIH and will be starting my DMD PHD program at my school.

I came back to my university to work as a research assistant in a new lab. My PI and I started from scratch and bought and installed all the equipment.

I have been pretty productive so at this rate, I should be able to publish as a first author and add two more co-author papers.

I click very well with my current PI at my university and with everyone in the lab.

When i start my combined program, i need to first finish the three years of dental school. After these years, though not required, i am expected to spend my first year doing rotations in multiple laboratories while doing my fourth year dental school 2.5 days per week. However, I don't feel much need for doing rotations when my PHD program.

It's possible in my program to not to spend an entire year doing rotation if one had worked in the lab for a significant amount of time and had been productive.

What do you guys thinking about me not doing rotations? I would rather go back and collect more data, continue expand on my current project and make myself more competitive for the NIH F30 grant.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have worked in multiple laboratories in NIH and will be starting my DMD PHD program at my school.

I came back to my university to work as a research assistant in a new lab. My PI and I started from scratch and bought and installed all the equipment.

I have been pretty productive so at this rate, I should be able to publish as a first author and add two more co-author papers.

I click very well with my current PI at my university and with everyone in the lab.

When i start my combined program, i need to first finish the three years of dental school. After these years, though not required, i am expected to spend my first year doing rotations in multiple laboratories while doing my fourth year dental school 2.5 days per week. However, I don't feel much need for doing rotations when my PHD program.

It's possible in my program to not to spend an entire year doing rotation if one had worked in the lab for a significant amount of time and had been productive.

What do you guys thinking about me not doing rotations? I would rather go back and collect more data, continue expand on my current project and make myself more competitive for the NIH F30 grant.

Are there maybe valuable skills or a helpful technique you could pick up rotating in another lab even if it's not a lab you'd stay in?

Reactions: 1 user
Are there maybe valuable skills or a helpful technique you could pick up rotating in another lab even if it's not a lab you'd stay in?

Yeah. that's right.. I would look into that. However, would you spend a year to learn those techniques?

I am not sure because while I enjoy basic science, my current goal is to be a clinician scientist and doing translational and clinical research rather than basic science.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. that's right.. I would look into that. However, would you spend a year to learn those techniques?

I am not sure because while I enjoy basic science, my current goal is to be a clinician scientist and doing translational and clinical research rather than basic science.

No, not a full year. But certainly a few weeks, plus if it isn't required to be basic science you could learn some non basic science skill like a new epi. analysis technique or learn something from one of your PI's collaborators.

More just something to consider. With thes dual degrees, there's somthing to be said for getting done quickly too. Obviously depends on what options are available in your program and what your specific needs are.

Reactions: 1 user
No, not a full year. But certainly a few weeks, plus if it isn't required to be basic science you could learn some non basic science skill like a new epi. analysis technique or learn something from one of your PI's collaborators.

More just something to consider. With thes dual degrees, there's somthing to be said for getting done quickly too. Obviously depends on what options are available in your program and what your specific needs are.

I see. I will keep your advice in mind and keep myself open-minded. Thank you. :)