Not doing so hot this quarter. How to get back on track

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladysmanfelpz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate that I'm at the point to post something like this, but thought I would get all of your opinions. I'll try to keep it short, but basically started out hot and now having a majooooor dip this quarter. Last two quarters I was B+/A- average. Now I'm barely passing classes. It is a little tougher of a quarter, but not that bad and I feel like I am prepared but bombing tests.

I still do my same prep, viewing material at least 3 times over, but panicking on tests. Before I would have 3-5 questions that I would mark to go back and look at, and last test I marked 9 :inpain:. Usually I could figure out one or two of the ones I marked and now I feel like I'm just guessing and don't have any clue on the ones I marked. I know I looked at the material, but its like the material just escapes my head and I can't do any reasoning to come to an answer. I also noticed I'm changing more answers than before.

The only things I know that changed is one I had a good friend die at the beginning of this quarter. I've never experienced something like this, but it was very tragic and it did mess me up quite a bit. So the first tests didn't go too hot as expected, but I still haven't bounced back. His funeral was this past weekend so who knows it may still have been on my mind. Second I noticed my sleep schedule has been off. I was waking up early before and going hard til 10 and no later. Now I'm getting up 7:30 or 8 and studying til 11 which I hate, but since I'm starting later I will study til later. How do I get back to my normal mindset and test taking ability?

Lastly my school is one of those weird ones with grades. I'm now sitting at low 70's in my 3 major classes, but still have the majority of the points ahead of me. How much recovery can I look for and how much will this hurt me?

Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

What are your study habits? Simply viewing material, even three times, does not sound like a great way to retain information. Are you making flashcards? Drawing things out? What classes are you currently in?

I hate that I'm at the point to post something like this, but thought I would get all of your opinions. I'll try to keep it short, but basically started out hot and now having a majooooor dip this quarter. Last two quarters I was B+/A- average. Now I'm barely passing classes. It is a little tougher of a quarter, but not that bad and I feel like I am prepared but bombing tests.

I still do my same prep, viewing material at least 3 times over, but panicking on tests. Before I would have 3-5 questions that I would mark to go back and look at, and last test I marked 9 :inpain:. Usually I could figure out one or two of the ones I marked and now I feel like I'm just guessing and don't have any clue on the ones I marked. I know I looked at the material, but its like the material just escapes my head and I can't do any reasoning to come to an answer. I also noticed I'm changing more answers than before.

The only things I know that changed is one I had a good friend die at the beginning of this quarter. I've never experienced something like this, but it was very tragic and it did mess me up quite a bit. So the first tests didn't go too hot as expected, but I still haven't bounced back. His funeral was this past weekend so who knows it may still have been on my mind. Second I noticed my sleep schedule has been off. I was waking up early before and going hard til 10 and no later. Now I'm getting up 7:30 or 8 and studying til 11 which I hate, but since I'm starting later I will study til later. How do I get back to my normal mindset and test taking ability?

Lastly my school is one of those weird ones with grades. I'm now sitting at low 70's in my 3 major classes, but still have the majority of the points ahead of me. How much recovery can I look for and how much will this hurt me?

Thanks everyone.
Are you having an leisure time between those hours? I engage in some non-school related stuff during my study breaks (mostly lifting, sometimes the occasional tinder/bumble date) helps me de-stress and feel refreshed for the later hours of study of the day.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like med school is making me dumber, I totally get what you’re going through. It’s probably a bit of a burnout thing, try to rethink your schedule and make sure you’re getting some time to regroup. May be worth rethinking study strategies too.

Try to mix things up and not keep doing the same old routine that worked before. Flash cards and drawing things out are good ideas. Find a new study group or partner to review material and confirm what you know/don't know?

Also, try to get counseling regarding the lost friend. You might be fooling yourself into thinking you're dealing with it mentally, but grief can simmer under the surface and cause the type of problems you're dealing with. My school offered me free sessions with a psychologist when I was dealing with family issues and failing classes because of it. Can't say it was a cure-all but did help to talk about these things openly to someone who would listen.