Not enough clinical hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychtx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you planning on applying to DO or MD? If you know what schools you want to apply to, look up their suggested amounts of volunteer/shadowing experience. It seems that you might have a chance at your state school, depending on their guidelines.

I'm applying to both MD and DO but mainly DO schools out of state. I've looked up some of the schools but there isn't much info. about clinical hrs.
Are you planning on applying to DO or MD? If you know what schools you want to apply to, look up their suggested amounts of volunteer/shadowing experience. It seems that you might have a chance at your state school, depending on their guidelines.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty anemic. It appears that you did what was convenient, not what was necessary.

I don't think I will have enough clinical hours by the time I apply. I will have close to a 100 hours. If I apply, I plan on volunteering throughout my gap year. I'll be taking the MCAT in June. Should I hold off on applying this summer?
Shadowing hours: 40 hrs
Clinical: 100 hrs
Research: one semester and only about 70 hours.
Amcas gpa (if I do well this semester): cgpa is 3.25 and sgpa is 3.6. I've retaken 2 classes from freshman year, but I didn't calculate AACOMAS gpa.
Last 7 semesters: I don't know if the amount of classes will be taken into account, but I'll include them.
3.8 (4 classes)
3.7 (6 classes)
4.0 (6 classes)
3.2 only 4 classes. I got a (C) in Ochem 1 but the following semester, an A in Ochem 2.
4.0 (6 classes)
4.0 (6 classes)
4.0 (7 classes)
I've received A's in all of my upper level bio courses. I'm hoping I get a 4.0 this semester but if not, at least a 3.5.

I'm a bio major. AA female, veteran, disadvantaged. Do I have a shot of getting accepted if apply this summer? Or should I just wait and increase my clinical hours?

Pretty anemic. It appears that you did what was convenient, not what was necessary.

I thought it was necessary to have an upward trend, so I focused on trying to get the best grades possible. I had a horrible GPA when I got out of the military but I understand where you're coming from. I had posted to get some advice about my situation and I guess by your response, I should take an extra gap year. That was my plan but I thought it would be nice to get some solid advice. Thanks for the input.

Many thanks to you for your service to our country.

Just remember that this is a marathon now, not a sprint.

I thought it was necessary to have an upward trend, so I focused on trying to get the best grades possible. I had a horrible GPA when I got out of the military but I understand where you're coming from. I had posted to get some advice about my situation and I guess by your response, I should take an extra gap year. That was my plan but I thought it would be nice to get some solid advice. Thanks for the input.

As a URM and coupled with your veteran status and upward trend if you do well on the MCAT then you won't need to apply to DO schools and will actually be in the running for some Top schools. I have a URM friend with only 100 hours of volunteering who has had a wild cycle! But she also had a 521 MCAT and more comprehensive research experience than you. So I would agree with Goro that you should wait a year! Med school isn't going anywhere and you want to set yourself up for future success so applying when you are at your best is the way to go. In the grand scheme of things, 1 year is not a big deal. Best of luck in your future! :)