Not enough LOR’s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emletters

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I know the relative importance of th various types of letters (SLOE>>EM LOR>non EM LOR) but was unsure if you should still have a non SLOE EM letter anyway. As it stands, it looks like I’ll only have 2 SLOE’s and one non EM letter. I haven’t really consistently worked with an EM faculty member to feel comfortable asking for a strong letter of rec. Is this going to be acceptable or am I only meeting the bare requirements and this will reflect negatively?

I realize I have a lot of questions that I should ask the home PD here, but I’ve been having a hard time scheduling an appointment. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all

I know the relative importance of th various types of letters (SLOE>>EM LOR>non EM LOR) but was unsure if you should still have a non SLOE EM letter anyway. As it stands, it looks like I’ll only have 2 SLOE’s and one non EM letter. I haven’t really consistently worked with an EM faculty member to feel comfortable asking for a strong letter of rec. Is this going to be acceptable or am I only meeting the bare requirements and this will reflect negatively?

I realize I have a lot of questions that I should ask the home PD here, but I’ve been having a hard time scheduling an appointment. Thanks for your help.

That's completely fine. Your application would derive zero benefit from having a 4th LOR unless you had someone who could speak to a unique experience that isn't reflected in your other LORs (e.g., if you were a MST program student should have a research mentor letter, MD/MBA student a MBA-related letter, etc.). Nothing to worry about.