Not entirely sure which degree to go for

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Evelet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I could use some advice/guidance from you guys.

I want to go into counseling but, I want to primarily deal with relationships and sexual issues. But I also have an interest in pursuing research. My interest lies in attraction, sexuality, and interpersonal relationships.

Any advice as to which kind of degree would fit me best?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I could use some advice/guidance from you guys.

I want to go into counseling but, I want to primarily deal with relationships and sexual issues. But I also have an interest in pursuing research. My interest lies in attraction, sexuality, and interpersonal relationships.

Any advice as to which kind of degree would fit me best?

Counseling psychology? Seems more likely you'll find folks with such interests in those programs, though depends on where your interests lie within those areas you can certainly study them in clinical programs too.

There's also things like MFT, etc. that will have the counseling part, but likely far less research.

Members don't see this ad :)
PhD in Social Psych perhaps? I had a social psych professor a while back who had the same interests as you. He received his doctorate from UNC-Chapel Hill. Research in that area sounds intriguing.

It really depends on your career goals, and there are many routes you could take. It sounds like a master's in marriage and family therapy or counseling would best suit you for the purposes of practice. If you are truly committed to research, a PhD in social psychology would be ideal (not to mention fully funded!) and would allow you to teach...but like the above poster stated, a counseling or clinical PhD could also achieve this if you found a good 'match'. Check out the Insider's Guide on Graduate Programs and look at the index in the back that lists the schools and profs that are interested in sexuality and attraction, and apply to them. Good luck.

Yeah, I agree it could be a good fit if OP decided to go the 100% research path, but even then a fully-funded counseling or clinical psych PhD could be at least a good of a choice given those interests, especially if OP is more interested in individual sex and interpersonal issues moreso than group-level dynamics (which is what social psych tends to focus more on).

True true.

Nah, OP said he/she wants to go into counseling, which a social psych degree is useless for without doing a respecialization program. But if OP decides on research only, then I think that could be a good interest match.

To echo some of the other posters in this thread, I think a counseling psych PhD might be a good fit, although I think any program (clinical or counseling) that has a good match to your specific interests could be a good fit.

Yeah, I was addressing more of the research concern. I agree with LivingOffLoans about looking into masters programs. I'm not sure what level OP is on currently, but there are therapist/counselor positions that can be obtained with a masters (and some employers offer supervision leading to an LPC); put in a couple of years in the workforce, then return to earn a PhD to do research. Or is doing it that way no longer advised? It's been a while since I last went through that process, lol.

Perhaps finding a local sex therapist and interviewing him or her about the route he or she took. Couldn't hurt.

I suggested that social psych could be an area to look into. Never said it was specifically "the way to go". Hence the question mark.

No worries. :)
Thanks for clearing that up for us about both programs. Good info to know.

Ok, fair enough, it looks like it was LivingOffLoans who said if interest in research then social psych is way to go--that comment should have been directed toward that poster instead of you. My apologies.

I thought I did say that a PhD in Counseling or Clinical Psych could achieve the same goal? I guess Social Psych just came to mind first thinking that Evelet could do an MA or MFT for purposes of practice, and then if s/he decided they truly wanted to do research, a PhD later. Depends on their career goals.

Last edited: